2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
Shopped for a New '10, Bought an '08
By TomF on 05/13/09 10:29 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan New s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I got interested in the new 2010 Mazda 3, but test-drove the car and didn't like the interior or rear-quarter blind spots at all. Got interested in the old-generation ("leftover") '08 and '09 Mazda 3s still on the lot, drove one, and liked it much better -- especially on the inside. Made a great deal on a loaded '08. I think this is the class of the small-Asian-sedan segment -- more distinctive than the Corolla or Civic and streets ahead of the Sentra in terms of comfort, performance and amenities. It's roomy up front (not so much in back), quick off the line, great in the corners, and styled like a bargain-basement BMW. Worthy competitor to Jetta at less cost, better build quality.

Can't stay out of it.
By sdavis on 05/01/09 11:48 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan New s Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I commute 45 minutes each way to work. Since I bought M3 I find myself getting a earlier start each morning so I can take the back rodes to work. I have 2008 S Touring 5 spd manual and it is a blast to drive. Prior to that I owned a 2004 Mini Cooper w 1.4 liter engine. Mini hugged the curves better but did not have pep that 2,3L engine provides. M3 revs at about 3100rpm at 80 mpg, Mini over 4000. Suspension stiff on both, which I don't mind. M3 looks cool and theirs more room in the back for the kids. M3 doesn't get the gas mileage that Mini did but I can run 87 instead of premium. Trade off is worth it. In my mid forty's but I feels like a kid again when i get in this car.

Almost Perfect!
By Jennifer on 04/17/09 14:00 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan New s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I love love love my Mazda 3. I did a lot of research of the Honda Civic, Fit, Toyota Corolla and the Volks Jetta. I was almost going to buy the Corolla until I test drove the Mazda 3 Sedan. It was the handling that sold me and the expensive/sporty look of the trim. The Corolla was everything I expected it to be, but the Mazda 3 surpassed what I was looking for.

I LOVE THIS CAR
By MIALT on 04/14/09 16:50 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan New s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I spent a long time looking at cars and this is the best bet for the money. I live in New England and have no problems in snow, mud, or rain. The traction control works wonders. The features of the grand touring have everything I need. It handles like a charm and I find I get about 26 mpg with both highway and city driving. The manual is a blast, the stereo is phenomenal. There is a bit of cabin noise when your on the highway but I usually have the radio up. Overall, I have had no problems with this car and plan to keep it for a long time.

1 year of ownership
By TimL on 04/13/09 13:07 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan New i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

At the car lot I jumped in the vehicle to take it for a drive. It seems very very sluggish and was not at all impressed. Then I noticed the brake light was on!!!!!! Well, after taking the E-brake off I realized this car had some serious zip. It handled better than any of my two other previously owned vehicles. I was sold. Last summer I took the vehicle from Oregon to Yellowstone in Montana. When I hit the Rocky's I noticed my car did not climb very well. Other vehicles on the road seemed to be responding about the same. I decided to experiment and flipped the stick to Manual and dropped it into third gear. I was easily able to drive uphill at 90mph and still had power left over.

Great car for dry weather
By Abna on 03/27/09 14:07 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan New i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car after researching the Focus, Civic, Fit and Corolla. It is definitely better than those cars. I missed a crucial factor when making my decision: I live in Seattle where it rains a lot and gets slippery. It also snowed a lot this winter and this car was a total disaster. It got stuck twice in my apartment complex and took more than one hour and lots of effort park it. This car is fun to drive, very sporty and handles tight but is meant for dry weathers only.

Great Car for the right driver
By Tom on 03/14/09 17:33 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan New i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Overall, excellent choice and I'm very happy. I decided between this and the 2008 Toyota Corolla...my last car was a 1996 Toyota Corolla, which did the job, and got great mileage; was ready to move on though, and the Mazda3 had always caught my eye. Fun to drive, handles great, easy on the eyes; My 3 is blue with a beige interior. If you want a car to get you from point A to B that will never fail, with great mileage, get a corolla. The Mazda3 mileage isn't great (26 comb). I was getting 32 combined in my corolla. But...if you want a more all around package, go with the 3; no problems with it at all, and have gotten a lot of compliments on it; definitely feels a lot more expensive it is.

Honest Assessment from previous BMW own.
By Ben on 03/04/09 09:58 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

A month ago my cherished 323Ci had a meltdown. Living in L.A., I loved taking it through the mountain twisties on the weekend. With this economy, I decided to be prudent with replacement car. My ratings are based on expectations of the class, and not comparisons to my previous luxury car. I'm quite pleased with the handling of this compact. Though somewhat under-tired, it can stand up to a road like decker canyon blvd (23). The clutch is light in feel, but gives you a good sense of it's action through your foot, gearbox is excellent. Had the opportunity to test the brakes in a panic stop in my first week of driving, and they're probably in the top 10 of any car under $100k.

The Love-to-drive- drivers car!!
By Victor G on 02/28/09 10:53 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I test drove other Mazda 3 competitors models (Rabbit, Civic, Cobalt, Focus). None matched the comfort, performance, style or price value of the 3. The cars looks great, has many added features and its not as common as a Civic or Focus. The Mazda provides the best all around package of reliability, easy to find parts, reasonable price, performance and sense of exclusivity. You still don't see that many around.

Honest Humble Masterpiece!
By Damian35 on 01/29/09 15:43 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

All in one top car for its class. Power when you need it, MPG's are adequate enough, Stops on a dime, Frontal chassis & great suspension provide a great ride. Interior features only lack cruise control, gps and a driver's seat with height position ajustment but the telescopic steering wheel make up for it. The center arm rest and compartment console position you perfectly and even when the seat quality is less then the top model it extends on it's side to hold you in place. The sound system rocks, I especially like the dash design and everything to go with it, fit and finish is perfect. Passenger space is adequate for a car its size and I vehemently disagree with others the truck is big.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan in WA is:

$163 per month*