Used 2008 Mazda 3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda 3

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Had a Mazda 3 sedan 2008 for 9 months in Upstate NY
By regraphic

2008 Mazda 3 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

It was a great car at first and it's lasted throughout all of this crazy weather we've been having in the northeast with the hurricane and rain. I purchased the car used at 36,000 miles or so and now has about 44,000. On one occasion I left for a trip over a weekend and the car seemed to be hesitant to start. Again, this past weekend I left it over the weekend, which wasn't especially a record cold temp. weekend and came back to a non-starting vehicle. It sounds like it might be the battery, but I left the car a night and if the lights had been on this annoying buzzer goes on in my car before I remove the keys. I'm not sure what it is that is wrong, but I will be bringing it in to find out.

Favorite Features

Gear shift you can switch to a short hand manual mode. I also like the fact that it has a few places where I can plug in my appliences like my GPS and my i-pod at the same time if I need to charge both at once

Suggested Improvements

Nothing to note yet.

Terrible! A huge regret!
By bumbieb

2008 Mazda 3 i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

My mazda is 3 years old, has broken down on me 4 times, and I am now told by Mazda that my car needs a new engine. I regret buying this lemon. Terrible customer service too. Stay away!

Favorite Features

I chose this car over my trusted Honda brand because of the better handling and its good looks.

Suggested Improvements

Mechanically -- everything!

Great Car
By aiseop

2008 Mazda 3 s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I bought it new and had to let it go when my son was born. Owned it for 56K miles. Never had any problems with it. I commuted from NJ to CT every three days and the car was very comfortable, excelled well on I-95 and the Merrit Pkwy, and had great fuel economy. No complaints. Would have kept it forever, however, the rear seats, once my son moved beyond the infant car-seat stage, became too small. Great for a couple or if you have older children in front-facing booster seats. Miss the car!

Favorite Features

Engine. Felt sporty. Easy to U-turn in NYC.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension may not be for everybody. Rigid sport so other cars feel more comfortable.

Fun car, but replace tires every 12,000 miles!
By mrobveeus

2008 Mazda 3 s Sport 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

The car, itself, is fun to drive and packs some punch. Gas mileage in the city is not great (my experience has been around 20-22mpg), but on long trips, my experience was 32-34mpg highway. THE REAL PROBLEM with this car is the tires wear out very quickly! My oil change guy noticed that the original tires were wearing badly at 8,000 miles! At 10,000 they were done! The second set of tires lasted about 14,000 miles. The current set has approximately 10,000 miles and need replaced! The soft compound, speed rated tires are very expensive to replace and will bubble or blow out when even a small pothole is touched. I doubt tires were factored in enough to the True Cost to Own, so buyer beware!

Great, fun car!
By Fred

2008 Mazda 3 s Sport 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased as a one owner vehicle with 34000 miles. A joy to drive with taut handling and smooth manual transmission. Light clutch that took a bit of getting used to. No issues with rattling or brakes. Prefer having a coolant gauge that the new models don't have. Comfortable seats, better than average stereo system and Ipod jack is a plus. Great acceleration in second and third gears and very stable at speed for a relatively light car. Mileage averages 27-28 combined city/highway. A bit noisy at speed but figure that is the sacrifice for a preferred stiffer suspension. Love it!

Favorite Features

Coolant gauge, electroluminescent gauges, Ipod jack, steering wheel controls, great looks, tight turning radius

Suggested Improvements

First gear is good for getting the vehicle rolling and that's it. Trunk release on key fob (but not a huge deal).