2008 Mazda Mazda3 Consumer Reviews 4

2008 Mazda Mazda3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
my life post-BMW
By stasia miaskiewicz on 03/01/10 15:37 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

i am a 50-something woman. 10 years ago i got my midlife crisis car, a BMW 328i. I loved that car. eventually, rather than repair, decided to move on...I must have driven 10 different types of cars before i settled on the mazda3. went for the 2008 because i think the rear lights on the newer models look sinister - just me. it's been 8 months since purchase and i really like this car! - it's fun!! drive one, you'll agree!

Sweet Ride
By Uncle Stu on 02/28/10 18:16 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 New s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We bought my wife an 2008.5 grand touring hatch, manual transmission new in 2008. So far no problems aside from once, the power steering failed then started working again (about a year ago). I have a g35 but I take this car on the weekends -- it handles better.

Mazda 3 Wagon: happiest Car on Earth
By JAGGER1024 on 01/18/10 22:09 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 New s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Had a Mazda 6 Wagon. Loved it. Went to replace it, but 6 wagons were discontinued. Tried out a 3. Loved it. Comfortable, zippy, no problems whatsoever. As much as I liked my 6 wagon, it did have a faulty gas tank. No issues with the 3, however.

My experience so far
By Jason L on 01/14/10 18:50 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 New i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I'm driving the 2.0 liter 4 speed auto. Before buying this car, I drove a 2000 Toyota Camry CE. Its really amazing the difference in interior quality between a Toyota and a Mazda. Toyota certainly beats the Mazda hands down in terms of build quality inside the car. I.E. Cheap plastics and poor stitching on cloth seats. That being said, the Mazda3 is leaps and bounds more fun to drive than a Camry. Virtually everything in the performance dept is better, with the exception of low end torque. Maybe its only the 2.0 liter, but the low end torque is a little weak. Once it gets into 3rd/4th gear, it accelerates QUITE nicely. When I need a burst of speed, the car definitely delivers.

Luxury at a lower sticker price!
By arjag2010 on 01/08/10 11:45 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 New s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I LOVE my Mazda. I purchased a used 2005 Mazda3s in September of 2009, which was totaled when I was rear-ended in November. I did not hesitate to purchase another Mazda. Taking advantage of the fact that there was a new body style (2010) coming out, I got a great deal on a 2008 3s GT. I definitely recommend the s. The 2.3 makes a difference. I test drove an i and it just didn't have the same sporty feel, especially going up hills. I have had various rentals in the same class as the Mazda, and have also test driven quite a few cars within the class. None have compared. The handling is superb, very tight and responsive.

More amenities than a loaded BMW
By gina4321 on 01/07/10 08:13 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I have owned this 2008 Mazda S Grand Touring since July of 2008 and just LOVE it! I sold my BMW X5 to buy this Mazda and it has more bells and whistles. Heated seats, Xenon headlights, leather seats, Bose Stereo, 6 disc, auto wipers etc..It was used with 14k miles and I paid 17500. for this in 2008. What a deal. Currently has 23000. miles on it with no problems what so ever!!

Mazda Is Horrible In Snow
By Scott Mayer on 12/29/09 11:34 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I would be happy with my Mazda if it weren't horrible in the snow and ice - absolutely ZERO traction. And the braking system they have in it is awful as well - loud and unnerving.

Can't ask for more
By Spencer on 12/23/09 15:51 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car less than 1 yr ago after test driving 14 other cars. It was the last 2008 on the lot, and the only options are side airbags, 4 wheel abs, and A/C, so I got it for $13,000 OTD. Handling is superb, especially since I upgraded to 17" alloys with 215 tires over stock steel wheels with 195 tires. I consistently got 38 mpg driving carefully with about 85% hwy...got 42 only time I drove only hwy. Mileage seemed to go down to 33-34 mpg since wheel upgrade, but more verification needed. Acceleration is more than adequate, but you're not going to win too many drag races. Not crazy about clutch as it is a bit light and engagement point is difficult to find. Have not had any issues yet

A nice car that somehow is made cheaply
By ejh on 10/09/09 09:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 New s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for 15 months and 18k miles. It is a fun car and until recently I would recommend it to anyone. I've had a few things go wrong that should never be an issue, especially for a Japanese car. Some are minor, some are not: * The plastic battery box cover broke the first time I opened it. * The gas cap broke, with part of it stuck on the filler tube. * The clutch is not working right. Something inside the clutch assembly broke causing poor engagement/disengagement of the clutch, which is felt as a notchy, clicking sensation in the pedal. The actually clutch friction plate is fine (this is not an issue due to poor manual driving skills). * Stock tires only lasted 17.5K.

Great First Car
By jax on 10/08/09 21:25 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 New i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is my first car and it has met and superseded all my expectations. As all others I love the handling and the acceleration is great. It looks great, a lot better than the new 2010 (smiley face and ugly tail lights). I have driven 27,000 miles in one year and it runs great with no problems. Get a car bra to protect the paint if you drive on highways often, otherwise it will surely get chipped. The tires are a bit skittish in wet conditions although was fine in snow and I live New England.