Used 2008 Mazda Mazda3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda Mazda3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
Mazda3 Line Still The Best
By vaclubmaker on 02/12/08 18:16 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned Mazda vehicles since 1984 and the 3 series (GLC, 323, Protege, Mazda3) have always been the best when it comes to value, performance, and style in sedans. Bought the "3" to be used by my college-age daughters while Mazda was offering the 0% APR deal (and to avoid the stupid No. VA transportation tax). As with all my Mazda vehicles, the driving position, design, and sporting nature have been retained even in the base model i Sport I purchased. I liked the fact that finding one with ABS and side curtain airbags was not impossible in the base model. My only complaint would be the colors on the instruments. There's just not enough contrast for my 50+ year old eyes.

So Far I Like
By NorCal Driver on 01/30/08 16:37 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Was looking for a stylish car with good gas mileage for my budget. Mazda3 so far is meeting my expectations. Have only driven about 500 miles on it. It has quick acceleration and looks good on inside and out. Love the orange lighting on dash and six disc changer also aux jack is a plus. Glove box is huge and trunk is good size for car. I am getting around 25-28 miles to the gallon, that's with mixed freeway city driving. Engine is a little noisy and first minute of starting up it idles a little rough. I have not noticed much road noise. Takes corners like a champ. Speakers are average, will be replacing with some components soon. If you have extra 5k go with the Grand Touring.

By M3Owner on 01/25/08 10:47 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 s Sport 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased the 2008 Mazda3 Sport for my teenage son based on the excellent safety ratings this car received. I purposely chose the "S" model as side air impact bags were standard. Unfortunately we had the opportunity to test the SRS system in a recent accident which leads me to this review so others are not taken in by the false safety ratings that Mazda publishes. The car suffered significant damage on both passenger side doors and in my case the air bags did not deploy. I suffered serious injuries that could have been prevented if they had. When I called Mazda No. Am. I was told there was no one I could speak with and should persue through a lawyer or my insurance. Beware!!

Super fun sport-like drive
By Barbara Martin on 01/24/08 16:42 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I have owned my Mazda 4 Door (with hatch) Grand Touring sedan for two days and am VERY happy to have chosen it over the Toyota Matrix which, although of reputed higher quality, was a total drag to drive. The Mazda is zippy, smooth, and responds quite handily. Of course I won't get quite the mileage, but then I'm coming off a 3500+ lb. mini-van so I'm still way ahead. I have no complaints at all and recommend this vehicle entirely. If you want a fun yet semi-sophisticated car that's just roomy enough for 4 adults in super comfort and is also incredibly cute, this is your vehicle. I got many more features for less money than the Matrix but ended up with a much better and more nimble ride.

Driving Is Fun Again
By John on 01/16/08 10:29 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car for two reasons: I drove a 1996 Protege that I treated me dearly and I recieve special pricing being a part of the Ford family. My only thought now every morning as I hop in my car is, "driving is fun again". I have never been more proud of a car, both in style and reliability. There's nothing about this car I don't like.

Fun Zoom Zoom
By Happy Zoom Zoom on 01/14/08 11:05 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my 3 for cheap reliable transportation, so far not diappointed. Love the response and drivability. I am a 300+ 6'1" male and I fit in the car nicely and comfortably. This car is roomier inside than it looks... Happy Zoom Zoom!!!

Unsurprisingly Suprising Quick
By SA 3 Driver on 01/08/08 19:49 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 3 a few weeks ago and do mostly highway driving. Although the fuel economy is not up to par with Honda, it does better than my previous auto. Road noise is a bit loud over 70MPH, but the car has super handling.The responsiveness and handling makes you feel connected to the road. A definite best-buy for its class. Very Pleased. 2.0L is great, but 2.3L is better, if you have the extra $1000-$1500

The Horn
By Eroteme on 01/06/08 17:12 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 s Sport 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Overall quite satisfied. However, I will say I am not pleased with the silly horn, it sounds like it belongs on a small scooter, maybe a motorized bicycle. The bird chirping horn does not match the quality of the car. And I can't say I am all that pleased with the heater, it takes 15 minutes or better to attain comfort, at which time I am usually at my destination, freezing from the cold. Also, the panic button on the switch fob has a range of about 20 feet. My previous car panic button had a much greater range, helping me find where I parked the car on occasion. But as said, I am quite pleased with the car.

Zoom-zoom
By quicksilver on 01/04/08 11:20 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Lots of pluses. Zero issues in 1st 7K mls. List of standard amenities is as long as your arm. Since most the positives are listed in the brochures and Mazda info, I'll focus on the stuff they don't tell you. All cars have negatives. Consider if you can tolerate these: 1. factory speakers are horrible. Replaced all 4 with cheapo $26 speakers, for a major improvement. 2. Even understanding that performance uses gas, mileage is less than expected (26- 29 mpg). 3. Stock tires flat spot after sitting and need to warm up before the tiny thumping goes away. Otherwise stock tire performance and noise is fine so far. No need to slow down and brake for corners. That makes it very fun to drive!

Believe the reviews!
By EW on 01/04/08 00:19 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 s Sport 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I never thought I'd write an online review, but I simply had to come back and confirm that this car is indeed every bit as good as people say. I needed to get a new car and heavily researched the Mazda3 in addition to the Honda Civic Si, Honda Accord Coupe, Mitsubishi Lancer, Subaru Impreza WRX and BMW 328. As you can tell, price was not so much of a issue for me as getting a car I really liked. I was worried that the Mazda3 was underpowered and too "economy" (i.e. cheap and mundane) for my tastes, but after driving all of the cars mentioned above I was left with little doubts. Without exaggeration, this car drives and handles like a BMW. I could not be happier with the purchase.