Used 2008 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring Value Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:

Great choice
By mark

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan New i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new in 08 over a Civic and have been extremely pleased. Got rid of the performance rubber for some all- season tires which made the car a lot quieter and less nervous. Handling is still great. I have been getting 35 mpg in the summer and 32-33 in the winter ( I am some what of a feather foot). The 2.0 liter engine spins more easily with every mile, the chassis is still tight, and the car has not had a single issue. I also think it is better looking than the new model.

Favorite Features

engine, handling, style, stereo

Suggested Improvements

trunk button on key fob, 6th gear in tranny, better carpeting

Love this car!
By EAG

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan New i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I spent forever researching cars to buy and I test drove a few (the VW Rabbit, the Civic and the Toyota Matrix) before I was definite on the 3. The test drives clinched it. My mechanic of 15 years was also enthusiastic about the Mazda and now I know why. I am in love with my car. It is so sporty (looks and performance) and I couldn't be happier. I have the 5 speed and the shifting is so smooth, I would swear it was a pricier model/brand. I love to drive but I was looking for fuel economy too and I definitely picked a winner. The acceleration is excellent, but so is the fuel economy. 25-27 in the city, in heavy traffic, and 32-35 on the highway. Nice! You won't be disappointed at all. I'm thinking of buying another for my husband.

Favorite Features

The best aspect is the style. I see my car and I almost can't believe how inexpensive it was. It appears and handles like a much more expensive car. The handling is sharp and the stereo w/the iPod adapter is also awesome. I recently drove an Accord and it confirmed that my car was the best choice!

Suggested Improvements

A little loud in urban setting (we're talking South Bronx here). Potholes are a bit rough, but other than that, no complaints here! You won't be disappointed at all. I'm thinking of buying another for my husband.

Easy choice
By Mike

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan New i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Mazda3 is hands down the best car to buy out of all the compacts if you're looking for value and maybe a little respect on the road. I test drove every car in this class trying to find a car that wouldn't bust my bank and was still fun to drive. Nothing compared to the Mazda 3 when it comes to the fun to drive factor and the amount of options for the price. If you like driving a manual transmission make sure you test drive this car. Nothing else compares when it comes to 5 speed manuals at this price. I've been nothing but impressed with my Mazda 3 so far. Mazda has done a great job of reinventing themselves.

Favorite Features

Performance and styling. European styling inside and out make the car look like a lot more than a budget compact. The suspension is amazing and the engine is geared just right. There is virtually no lag when shifting unlike its competitors (Much better than the VW Jetta I test drove).

Suggested Improvements

More trunk space would be nice.

Good Car for the Price
By GAJeff

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan New i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I replaced my Mazda 626 of 15 years with this new Mazda3. I really want to buy an electric car, so this car is to get me through the next few years. Other than being 20th century technology, it seems like a solid, nice car. I would have preferred to buy a hatchback but did not want to bump up to the wagon with its heavier weight and bigger engine. I've had a difficult time getting accustomed to the clutch -- it seems to engage much higher on the pedal than I'm used to. I've also noticed the air conditioner seems to place a lot of drag on the engine; this can make judging the gas/clutch mixture a little tricky sometimes. Overall, I'd recommend it for the price.

Favorite Features

Seats - the comfortable seats sealed the deal (wow, those Rabbit seats were horrible); exterior styling; solid feel -- good zoom-zoom-to-price ratio; OK mileage; huge "glove" box; full complement of air bags/curtains

Suggested Improvements

Trunk release on fob!!!; gauges are not readable in the daytime if the lights are on; better mileage; make a hatchback option (other than the wagon); better speakers/stereo; automatic lights; tire pressure readout; instant and average fuel consumption readout; at least a "mild" hybrid option

New, but impressed so far
By timbo

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan New i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I looked at all of the standard compact vehicles. Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, Ford Focus, Nissan Versa. So far I am impressed with this car. I have always been a Honda and Toyota guy and we still have a Tundra and a CRV as our standard drivers. We needed something for gas mileage and went with this car and so far feel very impressed. First day, one hundred mile mixed driving we got a little over 31 mpg (standard tranny). It drips with quality in the interior. I think the only thing that I don't like the quality of the carpets, but overall I think its fantastic for the price. Hope it holds up.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, steering wheel controls, appearance and huge glovebox. Backseat is comfortable for me (6 feet and 230 lbs). Son loves it (12 yo).

Suggested Improvements

Better carpets. Hate the black interior on the car.