2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
Engine Failure
By jrl6 on 08/05/14 07:58 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Beware of Mazda engine. Our story is like many others I am reading, and if only I were aware of the problems with Mazda engine, I would not have experienced such a financial loss. I bought the 2008 Mazda 3i for my graduate student daughter from a known party, well maintained at 61000 miles. We continued the routine service/small repairs for the last year. at 74000 the engine timing chain broke on the freeway, engine overheated and car is a total loss. Don't go near Mazda, we left the Mazda lot and walked into the Honda dealer, where I have many years of reliability. Never again Mazda! You can google the issue and we are not alone.

Very funny to drive
By yleclerc on 06/22/14 02:56 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car and maybe it's the best one I drove in my life. Very powerful for a little sport car but need a better conception for excessif user like me. Very safe to drive, I didn't an non-responsible accident who someone has crashed into me at 50km/h and felt nothing with those airbags.

Best value for fun and economy
By woofer on 10/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Good looking, fun-to-drive, low purchase price, and good fuel economy make it hard-to-beat for the $. Much more of a 'driver's car' than the Civic, Corolla or Sentra. MPG is usually 32-35 MPG (combined) after break-in, and already saw 39 MPG, all highway miles. No rotor warp as others have stated: a torque wrench MUST be used when tightening lug nuts! No issues to date, only service has been oil changes.

Can't ask for more
By Spencer on 12/23/09 15:51 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car less than 1 yr ago after test driving 14 other cars. It was the last 2008 on the lot, and the only options are side airbags, 4 wheel abs, and A/C, so I got it for $13,000 OTD. Handling is superb, especially since I upgraded to 17" alloys with 215 tires over stock steel wheels with 195 tires. I consistently got 38 mpg driving carefully with about 85% hwy...got 42 only time I drove only hwy. Mileage seemed to go down to 33-34 mpg since wheel upgrade, but more verification needed. Acceleration is more than adequate, but you're not going to win too many drag races. Not crazy about clutch as it is a bit light and engagement point is difficult to find. Have not had any issues yet

The Yank Mk. 2 Ford Focus
By AufMitter on 01/03/09 12:25 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The car has been a joy to own since new. No problems to date, just basic transportation the Mazda way - fantastic. Proper layout in the interior; Shifter placement is superb, and the tunnel nestles next to your right leg in perfect position as a rest spot on long journeys. Pedals light and user friendly. Exterior design is that of 'form equivalent function', meaning there is enough emotion but all of it is usable. Of course the chassis is up to snuff, ready to drive your any and every mood.

Fun to Drive!!
By mark on 10/23/08 04:39 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Been driving my Mazda3 for over a year now, and absolutely no complaints. It's a ball to drive, and the 2.0L 5 spd, packs quite a punch as well. MPG are an awesome benefit, have averaged 36 mpg for the summer & 28 mpg for the winter. Took a road trip to the smokies this past summer, and the car handled awesomely in the S-turns thru the mountains. I am very happy to be driving/owning my Mazda3!

Overall happiness
By thark57 on 10/12/08 22:15 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have 2000 mi. so far. All city miles so far. Mileage has steadily climbed starting at 28.5 to 31 mpg. There seems to be a gearing gap from 1st to 2nd gear. Trunk is roomy and back seats work great for my 7 and 11 yr olds. I think there should be more interior colors available. I wish there was a 6th gear for the highway. Not sure why the a/c turns on when you turn the temperature control know back all the way to cool.

Fun, Value, Economy, Pesonality
By woofer on 10/12/08 03:59 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So far I'm impressed. My 3 may be described as a Japanese VW based on certain similarities. Handling is great, interior quality is great, and engine is smooth with better than expected torque and a great sound. A driver's car at a low price. Beats Civic and Corolla for personality. Thus far got 34 MPG. 5-spd is fun to shift. Body metal feels thinner and structure is less strong than my superb Golf TDI (which I kept); cheaper build, cheaper paint, but the price is lower.

A step up...
By Maria on 08/29/08 21:45 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I kept my 2001 Mazda Protege for 7 years (It treated me well... Thanks Protege!) I decided to update to a simple 08 Mazda 3 i sport. I absolutely love it! Even though it has no power windows or locks, I still enjoy it. I got my Mazda in icy blue metallic, a spoiler and tinted. It's also a manual with just the right amount of power (2.0L). It will save me money later on. I'll be keeping this one for a while!

I love this car
By Lee C on 04/03/08 13:48 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have been having a lot of fun driving my Mazda 3 since I purchased it. I don't travel very far each day, but it is always a pleasure to get into it, except for the trunk issue where I stow my gym bag every day. I am getting pretty good gas mileage - at least what was expected - or better.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.