Used 2008 Mazda 3 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda 3 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Great Car for the money. Fun to drive.
By Davie Boy

2008 Mazda 3 Sedan s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I have a 2009 mazda 3i touring with 2.0 liter engine, 5-speed stick and 17" alloy wheels. I bought it new in 2009 and have been its only driver for 6 years and 90,000 miles. I like this car a lot. It's a great value. Heres the lowdown: THE GOOD: 1. Good gas mileage 2. Great steering 3. Great brakes 4. Roomy feel for an economy car 5. 2.0L motor has adequate power. 6. The suspension, steering and breaking are what make this car fun to drive. 7. Very Reliable THE BAD: 1. Noisy at highway speeds (wind, tire noise, engine) 2. Underpowered A/C in Florida heat. 3. Gasoline Cap is on the wrong side 4. Steering wheel hides the temperature gauge on the dash. 5. No real-time mpg readout on the dash / no bluetooth My 2009 was assembled in Japan and I was sorry to hear the 2015 model is assembled in Mexico. I have quality concerns about this so I plan to drive my Japanese 3i another 3 years before deciding whether to replacing it with another 3i.

Beware of this Car
By George R.

2008 Mazda 3 Sedan s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Mazda claims they are a different type of car company but as I am dealing with an issue they have revealed they are no different than GM or any other big car company. I lost my power steering a month ago while driving on the highway. When I returned home to find out if anyone else had experienced this problem I was surprised to see that my supposedly very reliable Mazda 3 had major problems with power steering issues. There was a recall back in 2010 for this problem. When I called Mazda customer support to report this issue I was told my car (I am the 2nd owner) was recalled and repaired back in November of 2010. When I mentioned to them that this repair obviously failed again they said they were not responsible to do this repair a 2nd time as per government guidelines. When I asked them if they had replaced the power steering pump and assorted pieces with upgraded pieces that insured this would not happen again they said this was the case. I mentioned to them this was my second Mazda and I would hope they would do something for me since this was obviously something they were aware of. They said they could do nothing for me. When I continued to argue my case with them, they suggested I bring my car to my local Mazda dealer to confirm the issue (The dealer did so $120 later for diagnosis, $1,293.00 for the repair). They mentioned to me they do have a "Out of Warranty" policy for some repairs but made no promises. When they finally called back after 2 weeks, they reiterated they could do nothing for me despite confirmation that the repair done back in 2010 reoccurred with the new parts. I then asked them to reimburse me for the diagnosis since they requested I have it done. They again said no. Great customer service! Needless to say I will never purchase another Mazda.

Suspension Issues and Rust
By gregf5

2008 Mazda 3 Sedan s Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car new after reading several strong reviews about it. The car performed fine for the first 75k miles or so, then began having serious and unexpected problems involving the suspension. Since that time, the car has had 3 new axles and related parts (CV joints, boots, etc.) but the same problems have continued. The car now has 95k miles on it. The car's paint is also failing, with numerous chips and pin sized rust spots forming on the side panels. Other than the above issues, the car has performed as expected.

Acceleration and handling Sound system Interior layout Cargo space

Resolve suspension problems Provide better insulation from road noise

So wonderful I bought another one
By teamsc10190

2008 Mazda 3 Sedan s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I had a 2006 Mazda 3 SGT that was my favorite car I'd owned since the early '70's. I decided late in 2009 that I needed to have another one but the second generation 3 was already at Mazda dealerships, sporting a vapid grin that I hated. I needed to find another first generation 3. The search for a SGT variant took me four years to find a low mileage pristine example CA car. When a 5-sp manual, White Pearl with navigation surfaced I pounced on it. It was well worth the effort and the wait. This car consistently delivers in smiles per mile. With the third generation 3, Mazda recovered the sexy face in a more capable and complete package that will be on my short list in the future.

The razor sharp driving dynamics of this car are characteristic of it's athletic prowess. The car is flat out fun to drive. It feels a whole lot like the "3" from Bavaria for less than half the price. This car is just a solid value and a joy to drive. I call my Mazda 3 "the mailman" because it always delivers. The small manufacturer from Hiroshima really knocked this one out of the park. Bravo! Handsome, chiseled styling and the richest interior in the compact segment are the frosting on the cake.

There are a couple of shortfalls in what is overall a pretty seamless execution. The rear seat could benefit from a couple of inches of additional leg room. The carpeting and sunvisors are dreadfully cheap, and a remote trunk release and heated mirrors should have been part of the SGT package. This is where a samll manufacturer like Mazda is really at a disadvantage where they lack the business scale to justify developing a full featured complement of trim levels.

Engine Failure
By jrl6

2008 Mazda 3 Sedan i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Beware of Mazda engine. Our story is like many others I am reading, and if only I were aware of the problems with Mazda engine, I would not have experienced such a financial loss. I bought the 2008 Mazda 3i for my graduate student daughter from a known party, well maintained at 61000 miles. We continued the routine service/small repairs for the last year. at 74000 the engine timing chain broke on the freeway, engine overheated and car is a total loss. Don't go near Mazda, we left the Mazda lot and walked into the Honda dealer, where I have many years of reliability. Never again Mazda! You can google the issue and we are not alone.