Used 2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda Mazda3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:

So wonderful I bought another one
By teamsc10190

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I had a 2006 Mazda 3 SGT that was my favorite car I'd owned since the early '70's. I decided late in 2009 that I needed to have another one but the second generation 3 was already at Mazda dealerships, sporting a vapid grin that I hated. I needed to find another first generation 3. The search for a SGT variant took me four years to find a low mileage pristine example CA car. When a 5-sp manual, White Pearl with navigation surfaced I pounced on it. It was well worth the effort and the wait. This car consistently delivers in smiles per mile. With the third generation 3, Mazda recovered the sexy face in a more capable and complete package that will be on my short list in the future.

Favorite Features

The razor sharp driving dynamics of this car are characteristic of it's athletic prowess. The car is flat out fun to drive. It feels a whole lot like the "3" from Bavaria for less than half the price. This car is just a solid value and a joy to drive. I call my Mazda 3 "the mailman" because it always delivers. The small manufacturer from Hiroshima really knocked this one out of the park. Bravo! Handsome, chiseled styling and the richest interior in the compact segment are the frosting on the cake.

Suggested Improvements

There are a couple of shortfalls in what is overall a pretty seamless execution. The rear seat could benefit from a couple of inches of additional leg room. The carpeting and sunvisors are dreadfully cheap, and a remote trunk release and heated mirrors should have been part of the SGT package. This is where a samll manufacturer like Mazda is really at a disadvantage where they lack the business scale to justify developing a full featured complement of trim levels.

Engine Failure
By jrl6

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Beware of Mazda engine. Our story is like many others I am reading, and if only I were aware of the problems with Mazda engine, I would not have experienced such a financial loss. I bought the 2008 Mazda 3i for my graduate student daughter from a known party, well maintained at 61000 miles. We continued the routine service/small repairs for the last year. at 74000 the engine timing chain broke on the freeway, engine overheated and car is a total loss. Don't go near Mazda, we left the Mazda lot and walked into the Honda dealer, where I have many years of reliability. Never again Mazda! You can google the issue and we are not alone.

Very funny to drive
By yleclerc

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car and maybe it's the best one I drove in my life. Very powerful for a little sport car but need a better conception for excessif user like me. Very safe to drive, I didn't an non-responsible accident who someone has crashed into me at 50km/h and felt nothing with those airbags.

Favorite Features

Perfomance for that cartype, grip on the road, performance breaks, sportive sensation, good sound from speakers and auxilairy input for ipod or mp3 player.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension used very quickly, paint and rust, engine mount.

Great purchase
By retiredinaz1

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought new in May of 2008 when I moved to AZ. I only have 43,200 miles on it and it still runs like new. I did have to replace leaky shocks once but that was only problem. I change oil every 3,000 miles so believe that helps. I LOVE this car and hope it lasts me another 6 years!

Favorite Features

Sun roof.....nice pick-up....

Bang for buck
By bstern92

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan s Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Bought car for $13,500 in 2010. I love the steering wheel feel and the radio controls. Sound system is very good. Seat material is very sturdy. The car has 112k on it and the seats still lokk new. Engine is very peppy and the steering is sporty. Only negative is the design is a little feminine. Only repair was a temperature sensor.