2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
Engine Failure
By jrl6 on 08/05/14 07:58 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Beware of Mazda engine. Our story is like many others I am reading, and if only I were aware of the problems with Mazda engine, I would not have experienced such a financial loss. I bought the 2008 Mazda 3i for my graduate student daughter from a known party, well maintained at 61000 miles. We continued the routine service/small repairs for the last year. at 74000 the engine timing chain broke on the freeway, engine overheated and car is a total loss. Don't go near Mazda, we left the Mazda lot and walked into the Honda dealer, where I have many years of reliability. Never again Mazda! You can google the issue and we are not alone.

Very funny to drive
By yleclerc on 06/22/14 02:56 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car and maybe it's the best one I drove in my life. Very powerful for a little sport car but need a better conception for excessif user like me. Very safe to drive, I didn't an non-responsible accident who someone has crashed into me at 50km/h and felt nothing with those airbags.

Great purchase
By retiredinaz1 on 03/15/14 18:10 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought new in May of 2008 when I moved to AZ. I only have 43,200 miles on it and it still runs like new. I did have to replace leaky shocks once but that was only problem. I change oil every 3,000 miles so believe that helps. I LOVE this car and hope it lasts me another 6 years!

Bang for buck
By bstern92 on 09/11/13 12:05 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan s Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Bought car for $13,500 in 2010. I love the steering wheel feel and the radio controls. Sound system is very good. Seat material is very sturdy. The car has 112k on it and the seats still lokk new. Engine is very peppy and the steering is sporty. Only negative is the design is a little feminine. Only repair was a temperature sensor.

Mazda 3 high milage reliablity
By ksmike on 03/14/13 16:31 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan New i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2.0 liter, 5 speed manual that I bought new in 2008, which I use for commuting to work in a rural area. 175000 miles now and still get 34-38 mpg (depends on the tires and season). The only part replaced was a new power steering pump was replaced as a recall. Other than that, changed tires every 40,000 miles (you have to have frequent tire rotations due to positive camber), oil changes every 5000 miles, coolant flush. I have not even changed sparkplugs, needed an alignment, or even needed to have the brake pads replaced.

Nice small car
By arizonadragger on 08/03/12 23:23 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan New i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 3 for the looks and mpgs. But wasnt thrilled by the mpgs after tracking them for 2 years (24mpg avg). I do a lot of city driving, but expected a little better, hwy wasnt that impressive either, 28-30 most the time. I would blame the 4 speed auto, just not enough gears to go through in the mountains. The cruise control is horrible, set it at 60 and it goes past 65 when it switches gears to accel. Accels down hills in cruise control. Wanted to use a family car but the 3 star rear side crash rating is too scary. Solo city driving, its a very nice car. But I had to sell because it was a terrible roadtrip car that just isnt safe enough.

4 Years of Driving
By kantankerous on 06/30/12 17:19 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan s Sport 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

After 4 years of driving this car, the car runs smooth and have not had any serious issues with the car. Everything functions well. I did have to bring the car in for warranty repair because of an oil leak coming from the oil pan but I think my local dealer messed up repairing it and had to replace one of the cylinder head and that took about two weeks. The tires are just about wear out after 45,000 miles and I didn't experience any issues with tires wearing out fast. I averaged about 30 MPG on a 2.3 engine but my driving style usually gives me higher MPG than manufacturer's MPG rating. I couldn't find a vehicle with more features than this car for the price I paid.

Fun to drive - with a few problems
By snoble2 on 01/15/12 12:40 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan New s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car new in 2007 - the car has more options than entry level luxury vehicles (328i, g35, a4, etc) at half the price. I went with the Grand Touring trim since it packed so much bang for the buck. This car is fun to drive and carries Japanese reliability. It feels connected with the road (not like BMW, but more so than other Japanese models) Major issue with this trim level is that the tires wear out every 15k miles - OEM even sooner. the OEM tires are absolute garbage. Mechanic says car has negative camber causing uneven and quick wear on tires. Computer component failed at 48k miles and Mazda fixed even though warranty was done. (It took them a month to diagnose)

Had a Mazda 3 sedan 2008 for 9 months in Upstate NY
By regraphic on 12/18/11 10:57 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

It was a great car at first and it's lasted throughout all of this crazy weather we've been having in the northeast with the hurricane and rain. I purchased the car used at 36,000 miles or so and now has about 44,000. On one occasion I left for a trip over a weekend and the car seemed to be hesitant to start. Again, this past weekend I left it over the weekend, which wasn't especially a record cold temp. weekend and came back to a non-starting vehicle. It sounds like it might be the battery, but I left the car a night and if the lights had been on this annoying buzzer goes on in my car before I remove the keys. I'm not sure what it is that is wrong, but I will be bringing it in to find out.

Terrible! A huge regret!
By bumbieb on 10/11/11 21:12 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

My mazda is 3 years old, has broken down on me 4 times, and I am now told by Mazda that my car needs a new engine. I regret buying this lemon. Terrible customer service too. Stay away!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.