Used 2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Fun but problematic
By rusxdrums

2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I love driving this car. I hate how many things have stopped working. Air Conditioner, electric windows, electric door locks, Stereo. All broken. I'll not be buying another mazda. My wife bought a VW rabbit pretty much the same time I bought the mazda and her car still drives like new. FEH.

Handling

Use better quality parts.

2008 Mazda 3 Sport GT = Problems
By darkface23

2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback New s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I can't believe any of these reviews I'm reading, so I am moved to write my own TRUTHFUL review. I bought my 2008 Mazda 3 Sport GT new off the lot. I made that mistake once, and I won't make it again!

I liked the looks of the vehicle and read reviews that indicated that the car was a good buy, so I purchased.

Problems I have had since buying include: paint pealing off body where rear bumper and quarter panels meet, both sides; carpet wearing out in several spots; brakes are a never ending problem with warped rotors and calipers that make noise constantly; bottom point of rear window is beginning to rust; shock leaked at 80,000 km; motor mount leaked and needed replacing within the first 25,000 km; airbag restraint warning light doesn't turn off, got to take to dealership to fix $$$$$$; automatic transmission needed to be replaced at 110,000 kms as it clunked going into 4th gear; now I hear a loud clicking noise from the gearshift area when it's in park and I depress the brake pedal.

2008 Mazda3 s hb
By dukefirst

2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Just traded our 2008 3 for a new 2012 Mazda5. Sad to see it go, the car has been absolutely bulletproof for us from Day 1. Can't recommend it enough. 67k miles and nothing other than scheduled maintenance for us! The is the poor [smart?] man's GTI.

road feel steering autostick shifting stereo

leather wrapped wheel and shift knob wore fast road feel - suspension def not for everyone back seat is tight with a car seat

Yet another engine failed
By densem

2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback New s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

"It must have love but it's over now..."Just as so many of them, my engine failed at just 28k very light miles. Bought the car used (Certified) at d Mazda dealership with only 19k miles. No warning signs, no lights, not even signs of oil consumption. Noticed a subtle rattling noise over 2500 RPM, took it to the dealer - death certificate issued in 2 hours. The car was still under Mazda power train warranty. Mazda Motors of America refused to honor it. Used top shelf synthetic oil, name-brand filters, never seen jiffy-lube places...kept all records and receipts and yet - warranty denied due to "lack of maintenance". Save yourself the trouble, do your research, on the 2.3l engine. Don't buy.

Fun to drive, good looks, excellent handling, reasonable build quality.

Better engine, better paint, galvanized body panels. Most of all - customer service.

very reliable
By delesher

2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

The car has been very reliable although mileage is not very good for a small car. Plenty of room inside and can carry a lot of stuff. I have had it since new and have approximately 50K miles. Nothing but routine maintenance.

Pros Handling Performance Styling Value Reliable