2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
2008 Mazda 3 Sport GT = Problems
By darkface23 on 04/02/14 17:17 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback New s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I can't believe any of these reviews I'm reading, so I am moved to write my own TRUTHFUL review. I bought my 2008 Mazda 3 Sport GT new off the lot. I made that mistake once, and I won't make it again!

2008 Mazda3 s hb
By dukefirst on 06/16/13 11:19 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Just traded our 2008 3 for a new 2012 Mazda5. Sad to see it go, the car has been absolutely bulletproof for us from Day 1. Can't recommend it enough. 67k miles and nothing other than scheduled maintenance for us! The is the poor [smart?] man's GTI.

Yet another engine failed
By densem on 05/17/13 13:42 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback New s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

"It must have love but it's over now..."Just as so many of them, my engine failed at just 28k very light miles. Bought the car used (Certified) at d Mazda dealership with only 19k miles. No warning signs, no lights, not even signs of oil consumption. Noticed a subtle rattling noise over 2500 RPM, took it to the dealer - death certificate issued in 2 hours. The car was still under Mazda power train warranty. Mazda Motors of America refused to honor it. Used top shelf synthetic oil, name-brand filters, never seen jiffy-lube places...kept all records and receipts and yet - warranty denied due to "lack of maintenance". Save yourself the trouble, do your research, on the 2.3l engine. Don't buy.

very reliable
By delesher on 02/26/12 16:39 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

The car has been very reliable although mileage is not very good for a small car. Plenty of room inside and can carry a lot of stuff. I have had it since new and have approximately 50K miles. Nothing but routine maintenance.

Great Car
By aiseop on 09/23/11 09:58 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I bought it new and had to let it go when my son was born. Owned it for 56K miles. Never had any problems with it. I commuted from NJ to CT every three days and the car was very comfortable, excelled well on I-95 and the Merrit Pkwy, and had great fuel economy. No complaints. Would have kept it forever, however, the rear seats, once my son moved beyond the infant car-seat stage, became too small. Great for a couple or if you have older children in front-facing booster seats. Miss the car!

I upgraded and had some ups and downs
By Damian on 09/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I like the way it handles now versus how it did when I bought it. It's a used car with only 17,700 miles on it so it's a good deal. Of course I needed to fix some things before I could actually enjoy it like I now do. I like how it gets up there when I need it and when I out on a 1 to 2 hour drive I love the bose system. It helps to have soft tires greatly. This car corners nicely.

Sweet Ride
By Uncle Stu on 02/28/10 18:16 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback New s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We bought my wife an 2008.5 grand touring hatch, manual transmission new in 2008. So far no problems aside from once, the power steering failed then started working again (about a year ago). I have a g35 but I take this car on the weekends -- it handles better.

Mazda 3 Wagon: happiest Car on Earth
By JAGGER1024 on 01/18/10 22:09 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback New s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Had a Mazda 6 Wagon. Loved it. Went to replace it, but 6 wagons were discontinued. Tried out a 3. Loved it. Comfortable, zippy, no problems whatsoever. As much as I liked my 6 wagon, it did have a faulty gas tank. No issues with the 3, however.

Mazda Is Horrible In Snow
By Scott Mayer on 12/29/09 11:34 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I would be happy with my Mazda if it weren't horrible in the snow and ice - absolutely ZERO traction. And the braking system they have in it is awful as well - loud and unnerving.

A nice car that somehow is made cheaply
By ejh on 10/09/09 09:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback New s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for 15 months and 18k miles. It is a fun car and until recently I would recommend it to anyone. I've had a few things go wrong that should never be an issue, especially for a Japanese car. Some are minor, some are not: * The plastic battery box cover broke the first time I opened it. * The gas cap broke, with part of it stuck on the filler tube. * The clutch is not working right. Something inside the clutch assembly broke causing poor engagement/disengagement of the clutch, which is felt as a notchy, clicking sensation in the pedal. The actually clutch friction plate is fine (this is not an issue due to poor manual driving skills). * Stock tires only lasted 17.5K.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.