Used 2008 Mazda Mazda3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda Mazda3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
Fun but problematic
By rusxdrums on 03/24/15 09:30 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I love driving this car. I hate how many things have stopped working. Air Conditioner, electric windows, electric door locks, Stereo. All broken. I'll not be buying another mazda. My wife bought a VW rabbit pretty much the same time I bought the mazda and her car still drives like new. FEH.

So wonderful I bought another one
By teamsc10190 on 03/01/15 09:37 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I had a 2006 Mazda 3 SGT that was my favorite car I'd owned since the early '70's. I decided late in 2009 that I needed to have another one but the second generation 3 was already at Mazda dealerships, sporting a vapid grin that I hated. I needed to find another first generation 3. The search for a SGT variant took me four years to find a low mileage pristine example CA car. When a 5-sp manual, White Pearl with navigation surfaced I pounced on it. It was well worth the effort and the wait. This car consistently delivers in smiles per mile. With the third generation 3, Mazda recovered the sexy face in a more capable and complete package that will be on my short list in the future.

Engine Failure
By jrl6 on 08/05/14 07:58 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Beware of Mazda engine. Our story is like many others I am reading, and if only I were aware of the problems with Mazda engine, I would not have experienced such a financial loss. I bought the 2008 Mazda 3i for my graduate student daughter from a known party, well maintained at 61000 miles. We continued the routine service/small repairs for the last year. at 74000 the engine timing chain broke on the freeway, engine overheated and car is a total loss. Don't go near Mazda, we left the Mazda lot and walked into the Honda dealer, where I have many years of reliability. Never again Mazda! You can google the issue and we are not alone.

Very funny to drive
By yleclerc on 06/22/14 02:56 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car and maybe it's the best one I drove in my life. Very powerful for a little sport car but need a better conception for excessif user like me. Very safe to drive, I didn't an non-responsible accident who someone has crashed into me at 50km/h and felt nothing with those airbags.

2008 Mazda 3 Sport GT = Problems
By darkface23 on 04/02/14 17:17 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 New s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I can't believe any of these reviews I'm reading, so I am moved to write my own TRUTHFUL review. I bought my 2008 Mazda 3 Sport GT new off the lot. I made that mistake once, and I won't make it again!

Great purchase
By retiredinaz1 on 03/15/14 18:10 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought new in May of 2008 when I moved to AZ. I only have 43,200 miles on it and it still runs like new. I did have to replace leaky shocks once but that was only problem. I change oil every 3,000 miles so believe that helps. I LOVE this car and hope it lasts me another 6 years!

Bang for buck
By bstern92 on 09/11/13 12:05 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 s Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Bought car for $13,500 in 2010. I love the steering wheel feel and the radio controls. Sound system is very good. Seat material is very sturdy. The car has 112k on it and the seats still lokk new. Engine is very peppy and the steering is sporty. Only negative is the design is a little feminine. Only repair was a temperature sensor.

2008 Mazda3 s hb
By dukefirst on 06/16/13 11:19 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Just traded our 2008 3 for a new 2012 Mazda5. Sad to see it go, the car has been absolutely bulletproof for us from Day 1. Can't recommend it enough. 67k miles and nothing other than scheduled maintenance for us! The is the poor [smart?] man's GTI.

Yet another engine failed
By densem on 05/17/13 13:42 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 New s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

"It must have love but it's over now..."Just as so many of them, my engine failed at just 28k very light miles. Bought the car used (Certified) at d Mazda dealership with only 19k miles. No warning signs, no lights, not even signs of oil consumption. Noticed a subtle rattling noise over 2500 RPM, took it to the dealer - death certificate issued in 2 hours. The car was still under Mazda power train warranty. Mazda Motors of America refused to honor it. Used top shelf synthetic oil, name-brand filters, never seen jiffy-lube places...kept all records and receipts and yet - warranty denied due to "lack of maintenance". Save yourself the trouble, do your research, on the 2.3l engine. Don't buy.

Mazda 3 high milage reliablity
By ksmike on 03/14/13 16:31 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda3 New i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2.0 liter, 5 speed manual that I bought new in 2008, which I use for commuting to work in a rural area. 175000 miles now and still get 34-38 mpg (depends on the tires and season). The only part replaced was a new power steering pump was replaced as a recall. Other than that, changed tires every 40,000 miles (you have to have frequent tire rotations due to positive camber), oil changes every 5000 miles, coolant flush. I have not even changed sparkplugs, needed an alignment, or even needed to have the brake pads replaced.