Snaab returns to the islands
By Yoshi on
2007 Mazda Mazda3 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)
13.5 years with Samantha, Sam, my manual 5 Saab, left me looking for slick escapes from daring edgework, tires squealing but suspension reliable and hugging seats. Got 'em in the Mazda3: tightest turning at speed, I'm still discovering wide slow sweet sweeps; body's external angles impress, as internal fits tightly to my average sized frame. I love gloving my lats, glutes and knees into the sculpted driver's pit, then telescoping out and laying steering wheel in my lap. But, 3,333 miles in my hands, I prefer my Saab's H handles. Named "Bluey, because it's SO blue!" by my 7 y/o, the Mazda3 performance out-classes the clumsier Mazda6, impresses with pickup, quiet, and rail-like free-wheeling.
Favorite Features
Suspension: supportive yet floaty; how does Mazda do that!?! Immediacy: stomp the gas, rocket out of jams; others willfully enter freeze-frame paces, tearing passages across three lanes to exit ramp. Phew! My big Saab wasn't that agile; but I only had 15 inch wheels on it. Colors. Red panel.
Suggested Improvements
More bass in basic audio package. Manual override shifting could learn and adapt more quickly. I'm hoping scheduled tune-ups will sufficiently adjust something. My foot's too heavy or the pedal's too light, but that redline comes up too fast too often. Paint rumpled when dealer sticker removed.