Used 2007 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Mazda Mazda3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:

Great car
By Sean

2007 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I was looking a sporty but practical car, and one that I could fit 4-5 adults along with a large dog (88 lb golden retriever) in the back. I have been very happy with my decision as it has overall been a great car. Fun to drive (manual), great handling/corning with 17" wheels, great in snow with winter tires & traction control and at 9K miles I have had no problems at all. Gas mileage is ok (26 mpg average) but would like to have smaller engine offered or other option on wagon to improve fuel economy for such a small car.

Favorite Features

Fun, responsive car for spirited drivers (manual). Small car with room for 4 adults and large dog in back. The rubber liner is a must if you have a dog. Received many compliments on the looks of the car (phantom blue). Like the storage compartments over the spare tire.

Suggested Improvements

Improve mpg for wagon. Increase toe room underneath front seat to maximum rear seat room. (1 vertical extra inch would feel like ~5" more legroom)

2007 Mazda3
By Jennifer Galloway

2007 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I have been very happy with the reliability, power, and comfort of this car but disappointed with the poor fuel economy.

Favorite Features

My big dogs love that the rear seat folds almost flat so they can ride in comfort. I like having the temperature display and the steering wheel controls for the stereo system.

Suggested Improvements

I am disappointed in my poor gas milege. It was supposed to get 25 to 31. I'm still getting 19 to 22 even after a year of driving. The dealer told me it would "take a year to break in before getting the better mileage". It would be nice if the center console cup holder was removable for cleaning

Mazda 3 Sport - poor mileage
By Susan

2007 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Purchased car in June 2007, has been in the shop for poor mileage and squeaky brakes twice in less than a year. Mazda claims the car will get 31 m/gal city and 41 m/gal highway. The best I've gotten so far is 29 m/gal - this was obtained on an all highway road trip. Worst was 22 m/gal. Response from Mazda is that the mileage is considered normal??!! I will not buy another Mazda, they claim false numbers and will not stand by the product to find out what's wrong even when they agree there's a problem.

Favorite Features

I do enjoy the sport feel to the car, it's got great handling on corners and is peppy when it needs to be.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the mileage, or post realistic numbers on the cars so new purchasers know what to expect.

Nice Car
By Jamaica Joe

2007 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car to replace a 1997 Mitsibishi Eclipse. It is a nice car, I bought it for the looks based on the price. It's pearl white and the paint looks really good. It's a manual and it is pretty fun to drive. Not all that comfortable as I am 6'2" and it's awkward because of the lack of tilt/telescoping action. The car has 16200 miles on it with no problems.

Favorite Features

Looks, style, mileage (somewhat, gets avg. 25 mpg), love the sunroof, very room with lots of cargo space.

Suggested Improvements

Cheap interior. Have a few rattles that drive me crazy. Gas pedal and brake pedal too close together. Above all, the tilt/telescoping steering is worthless in my opinion. If you're going to offer the option, add more movement to accomidate all size drivers I need more tilt AND telscoping action

Versatile and fun Mazda 3
By Mark

2007 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I've had my 2007 GT for almost a year. It has been a fun car to drive and easy to live with. The versatile hatchback converts to a mini-SUV when you remove the cargo cover and fold the seats - I've had 14 bags of mulch back there! The 2.3 with automatic is peppy enough, however on hills with the AC running it can get a little strained. GT standard equipment is generous. Annoyances: over time some of the interior plastic panels have developed rattles, and the auto trans sometimes hesitates between 1st and 2nd gears. I would buy this car again but would go for the MazdaSpeed 3 with the manual tranny. Overall a great car which you can get loaded for low $20s.

Favorite Features

Generous standard equipment on GT. Hatchback provides tons of hauling room but still comfortable back seat. Fun to drive even with automatic- tight handling.

Suggested Improvements

Better build quality on interior panels so that rattles don't develop. Smoother shifting auto trans. Hatch/trunk opener button on key fob.