Used 2007 Mazda Mazda3 s Touring Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:

Not My First and Certainly Not My Last Mazda
By boatracer

2007 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I simply love me '07 Mazda 3S Touring Hatchback. I've had it since new and currently have nearly 65K miles on the odometer. This little car has been trouble free. It still performs like the day I bought it. It is incredibly practical and while not a station wagon, it does splendid duty for hauling gardening stuff, boat parts and even lumber (if you use the sunroof) I'm one of those people who service their car regularly - even moreso than Mazda suggests. Right now I'm trying to figure out if I want a new Skyactiv 3i or keep my '07 just to see how long it lasts. I'm a Mazda enthusiast (7 so far)

Favorite Features

Quality, great interior materials, economy (30MPG consistently) and fun to drive (though I also have a Corvette in the garage). I also love my dealer - University Mazda in Seattle.

Suggested Improvements

The standard Goodyear radials that came with the car new lasted only about 36K miles. Seems like a short life considering I'm used to getting well over 40K. Replaced with Kumhos at 36K which still look very serviceable at 64K.

Great value
By gogiboy

2007 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 07 new in March of that year. In 4 1/2 years only scheduled maintenance was required. It has proven to be even more reliable than my previous Honda Civic over the same near 5-year period. The hatchback offers versatility and the engine is punchy while still offering respectable mpg. The interior quality compares favorably with other vehicles in this price category. You can probably pick up a decent used one in the $10K to $12K range depending on condition/mileage, which makes it a very competitive car in the small hatchback category. The 3 Hatch seems to offer that perfect mating of reliability and functionality with a small dose of sportiness.

Favorite Features

Great engine with plenty of pep (especially with the 5 speed) and a quiet authority. Fairly nice dashboard layout and good--but not great--seats and dashboard materials. Wonderful, easy engagement clutch. MPG is good, but don't expect 30+ unless all your drive is interstate.

Suggested Improvements

Better, more durable seat material like on the Civic SI I drove would be a plus. Like most, I would prefer even better gas mileage, but that would likely come at the expense of the zippy engine so going with the smaller 2.0 engine would probably be the smarter move if gas prices are a big concern. Although my car is white it seems to be a magnet for fender benders and has been hit three times--and it was parked and unoccupied each time!

Great car
By Sean

2007 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I was looking a sporty but practical car, and one that I could fit 4-5 adults along with a large dog (88 lb golden retriever) in the back. I have been very happy with my decision as it has overall been a great car. Fun to drive (manual), great handling/corning with 17" wheels, great in snow with winter tires & traction control and at 9K miles I have had no problems at all. Gas mileage is ok (26 mpg average) but would like to have smaller engine offered or other option on wagon to improve fuel economy for such a small car.

Favorite Features

Fun, responsive car for spirited drivers (manual). Small car with room for 4 adults and large dog in back. The rubber liner is a must if you have a dog. Received many compliments on the looks of the car (phantom blue). Like the storage compartments over the spare tire.

Suggested Improvements

Improve mpg for wagon. Increase toe room underneath front seat to maximum rear seat room. (1 vertical extra inch would feel like ~5" more legroom)

Nice Car
By Jamaica Joe

2007 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car to replace a 1997 Mitsibishi Eclipse. It is a nice car, I bought it for the looks based on the price. It's pearl white and the paint looks really good. It's a manual and it is pretty fun to drive. Not all that comfortable as I am 6'2" and it's awkward because of the lack of tilt/telescoping action. The car has 16200 miles on it with no problems.

Favorite Features

Looks, style, mileage (somewhat, gets avg. 25 mpg), love the sunroof, very room with lots of cargo space.

Suggested Improvements

Cheap interior. Have a few rattles that drive me crazy. Gas pedal and brake pedal too close together. Above all, the tilt/telescoping steering is worthless in my opinion. If you're going to offer the option, add more movement to accomidate all size drivers I need more tilt AND telscoping action

Mazda 3 Wagon horrible in Snow
By JKromberg

2007 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I replaced my 2001 Celica with a 2007 Mazda 3 wagon. Based on the first snow of the season, the Mazda 3 is the absolute WORST performing car I have ever driven. I got stuck in 2 inches of snow in the dip at the intersection! I can not make it up a mild hill that everyone else was flying up. My old Celica drove like a tank compared to this. I hope the problem is only horrible tires from the factory. If not, anybody want to by a used Mazda 3 Wagon? I should also mention that during the summer, the air condition could not keep up. It was 100 outside and 90 inside. The dealer said it was working fine. The car does have the utility inside that I was looking for in terms of a wagon.

Favorite Features

Utility of a wagon. Good mileage (not to what was promised but it never is),

Suggested Improvements

Decent tires for the climate where it is sold. Better air conditioner. Front seat that folds down forward like the Matrix/Vibe.