Used 2007 Mazda 3 s Touring Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Mazda 3 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2007 Mazda 3 Hatchback

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Best performance. least cost of anmy vehicle owned
By Naomi Scholes

2007 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Great buy for utility use, long or short distance

Really Decent little Car
By Ryan

2007 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This car started out as my wife's for the first 75 K miles, I then inherited it for my job in which I put on about 4 thousand miles per month. I have a new Ram 1500 hemi - which is awesome but does not compare in the mileage department !! Ok - so I have owned numerous 5.0 Mustangs, 3 mid-nineties Z28 Camaro's, and a 2001 Corvette. Initially this was a psychological downgrade - but after a few months and a few upgrades such as Bilstein's X 4, ZR rated tires in the summer, and Michelin winter tires in the winter - I have been extremely satisfied with this little sucker. I'm now at 128 K for mileage and no real issues. Ok - so the engine light is on for the famous gas cap vacuum leak - so I just let it be like that for now. I've changed the tranny oil out for Amsoil and do regular synthetic oil changes at 10 thousand miles like clockwork. I did notice that somewhere between 4500 and 5000 miles - it sucks back just over a half a liter of oil. I top it off and its good until I do the change. I have also tried about 5 different brands of oil and it does it with all of them. The engine sounds great still, no unusual engine noise whatsoever. It has really decent power for a 4-cyl and the economy is also decent. I do not baby this car in any way and it just keeps on pluggin away. I get about 33 mpg on the hwy and 27 in town - so averages about 30 mpg. I have to say this car handles like its on rails with my upgrades and is actually fun to drive. I'm thinking about what I will buy next, but have decided I'm just going to see how long this little guy lasts. I swear I'll drive it to 300 k if it makes it. This thing still feels tight with not rattles or weird noises, despite being on rough gravel roads often enough. Things that I feel could have been improved on from factory involve the paint (seems a little thin and easy to chip), seats aren't super comfortable - but I do spend 4 or 5 hrs in it a day more often than not. The tires do wear prematurely on the inside due to the camber, which is something that requires monitoring and prompt tire rotation. The engine has more than enough power for routine daily use in town or on the big road. The transmission shifts nice and seem to remain nice and tight even will into the 100,000 mile mark. I have had no issues with any other components. I just wish my wife would have bought a black one (instead of purple) - lol. Keep up the good work Mazda and i'll honestly consider another 3 when the time comes !!!

MazdaGirl3
By curlygal3

2007 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have now owned three Mazda. I owned a 1989 Mazda Protege, 2002 Mazda Protege that I loved until I was rear ended on the interstate by someone texting and driving at 75 miles an hour and now my 2007 Mazda 3. Out of the 3 cars my 2007 is the worst. Sadly, I have buyers remorse. My biggest complaint is visibility. I'm short at 5 feet tall and the A pillars in front cut off my visual field which can be dangerous. The pillars in the back are also terrible. Changing lanes in this car for me is awful and scary. It wasn't like that in my 1989 and 2002 Proteges. The side mirrors are in the worst position. Now maybe if you are a guy who is 6 feet tall you may not have these complaints. If you are a short driver this may not be a car for you. It sure isn't for me. I am getting ready to trade this car in finally. On a positive spin, I did recently test drive the 2016 Mazda 3 and pleasantly surprised! They have improved visibility with the A pillars. One thing I wish car sales people would do, please allow the buyer to change lanes and really test the car. Going around the block isn't a test drive! If I had known the visibility issues, I would not have purchased a 2007 car. My 1989 and 2002 Protege, I had for years and frankly loved them.

Not My First and Certainly Not My Last Mazda
By boatracer

2007 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I simply love me '07 Mazda 3S Touring Hatchback. I've had it since new and currently have nearly 65K miles on the odometer.

This little car has been trouble free. It still performs like the day I bought it. It is incredibly practical and while not a station wagon, it does splendid duty for hauling gardening stuff, boat parts and even lumber (if you use the sunroof)

I'm one of those people who service their car regularly - even moreso than Mazda suggests. Right now I'm trying to figure out if I want a new Skyactiv 3i or keep my '07 just to see how long it lasts.
I'm a Mazda enthusiast (7 so far)

Quality, great interior materials, economy (30MPG consistently) and fun to drive (though I also have a Corvette in the garage). I also love my dealer - University Mazda in Seattle.

The standard Goodyear radials that came with the car new lasted only about 36K miles. Seems like a short life considering I'm used to getting well over 40K. Replaced with Kumhos at 36K which still look very serviceable at 64K.

Great value
By gogiboy

2007 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 07 new in March of that year.
In 4 1/2 years only scheduled maintenance was required. It has proven to be even more reliable than my previous Honda Civic over the same near 5-year period.

The hatchback offers versatility and the engine is punchy while still offering respectable mpg.
The interior quality compares favorably with other vehicles in this price category.
You can probably pick up a decent used one in the $10K to $12K range depending on condition/mileage, which makes it a very competitive car in the small hatchback category.

The 3 Hatch seems to offer that perfect mating of reliability and functionality with a small dose of sportiness.

Great engine with plenty of pep (especially with the 5 speed) and a quiet authority. Fairly nice dashboard layout and good--but not great--seats and dashboard materials. Wonderful, easy engagement clutch. MPG is good, but don't expect 30+ unless all your drive is interstate.

Better, more durable seat material like on the Civic SI I drove would be a plus. Like most, I would prefer even better gas mileage, but that would likely come at the expense of the zippy engine so going with the smaller 2.0 engine would probably be the smarter move if gas prices are a big concern. Although my car is white it seems to be a magnet for fender benders and has been hit three times--and it was parked and unoccupied each time!