Used 2007 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Mazda Mazda3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:

Fantastic first car or commuter
By braydenm

2007 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car used, with about 80,000km. I drive cars pretty hard, and put a lot of miles on as I do about 600km a week commuting. This car has served me well, I kept it for 4 years and in that time racked up over 115,000km. Never had a single thing break on me, despite abuse. Most reliable car I've owned. The car is an absolute joy to drive, feels so much better than all its competitors in the same class and looks better too. The 5 door hatch is incredibly practical and with the 2.3i4 its surprisingly peppy. Great car overall, I'd definitely buy another.

Favorite Features

Great power for a 4 cylinder very practical with folding seats and hatch Fun car to drive, makes you smile going around corners. Incredible reliability Mazda dealers are friendly, and inexpensive to maintain Never had to replace anything, but inexpensive parts compared to almost every other foreign brand Interior nicely laid out and class exclusives at the time like rain sensing wipers, and very bright projector headlights. Ridiculous giant glove box, you could literally fit a couple full size laptops in there with room to spare for the hefty owners manual! Did I mention practical???

Suggested Improvements

MPG is good, but for a 4 cylinder small car with low weight could be better. Suspension is with no doubt about it stiff. I enjoy tight suspension in a way because its gives you a better feeling of control, but definitely bumpy. Tires on GT and touring models (205-50-17s) get eaten like crazy, and are quite expensive compared to other sizes. I put 215-50-17s and they seemed to be a tiny bit better in terms of pricing and availability Mazda uses thin metals which dent very easily, and noticeably in parking lots.

2007 Mazda 3
By ship_phi071

2007 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this car 6 years ago, car has 50,700 miles on it. Overall it gets me from point A to point B, however I have had to replace brake cable, calipers, rotors and brakes as well as the rear and front supsension. Apparently this is a not uncommon issue with the vehichle. Car warranty should be better as well only 3 years 36K miles

Favorite Features

Good sound system, manual transmission, heated seats for cold winter days

Suggested Improvements

Better warranty offer, use better rotors/brake pads.

Not My First and Certainly Not My Last Mazda
By boatracer

2007 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I simply love me '07 Mazda 3S Touring Hatchback. I've had it since new and currently have nearly 65K miles on the odometer. This little car has been trouble free. It still performs like the day I bought it. It is incredibly practical and while not a station wagon, it does splendid duty for hauling gardening stuff, boat parts and even lumber (if you use the sunroof) I'm one of those people who service their car regularly - even moreso than Mazda suggests. Right now I'm trying to figure out if I want a new Skyactiv 3i or keep my '07 just to see how long it lasts. I'm a Mazda enthusiast (7 so far)

Favorite Features

Quality, great interior materials, economy (30MPG consistently) and fun to drive (though I also have a Corvette in the garage). I also love my dealer - University Mazda in Seattle.

Suggested Improvements

The standard Goodyear radials that came with the car new lasted only about 36K miles. Seems like a short life considering I'm used to getting well over 40K. Replaced with Kumhos at 36K which still look very serviceable at 64K.

Great value
By gogiboy

2007 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 07 new in March of that year. In 4 1/2 years only scheduled maintenance was required. It has proven to be even more reliable than my previous Honda Civic over the same near 5-year period. The hatchback offers versatility and the engine is punchy while still offering respectable mpg. The interior quality compares favorably with other vehicles in this price category. You can probably pick up a decent used one in the $10K to $12K range depending on condition/mileage, which makes it a very competitive car in the small hatchback category. The 3 Hatch seems to offer that perfect mating of reliability and functionality with a small dose of sportiness.

Favorite Features

Great engine with plenty of pep (especially with the 5 speed) and a quiet authority. Fairly nice dashboard layout and good--but not great--seats and dashboard materials. Wonderful, easy engagement clutch. MPG is good, but don't expect 30+ unless all your drive is interstate.

Suggested Improvements

Better, more durable seat material like on the Civic SI I drove would be a plus. Like most, I would prefer even better gas mileage, but that would likely come at the expense of the zippy engine so going with the smaller 2.0 engine would probably be the smarter move if gas prices are a big concern. Although my car is white it seems to be a magnet for fender benders and has been hit three times--and it was parked and unoccupied each time!

Great little car!
By dsjones

2007 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my car used. Have owned it for two years. It is fun to drive. Stiff suspension so expect it to feel every bump on the road. It feels as smooth as butter on smooth roads and the road noise isn't that bad. The A/C is strong in the warmer months as well as the heat for winter. I don't like the black interior. It is very hot, even in the winter. I have had to turn on my A/C in the winter to cool the car down. Not good car to drive in Maine winters when snow begins to accumulate. Too low, at least for me. I love my car but need to give it up for small SUV that can handle the deeper snow that I drive in. In general, you will not be disappointed if you own this car.

Favorite Features

Small and peppy car. Very comfortable. Good visibility in the front and rear. Great stereo system. A/C and heat work great. With the hatchback, this car is amazing what I can fit inside and haul. Lots of truck space. My husband, who is over 6 feet tall, and I drove this car from Maine to Washington, DC. It worked great. Lots of pep and easy to park! Gas mileage is good. Don't have figures. The stereo system is great. 6 CD player is wonderful!

Suggested Improvements

There is no leg room in the back. The only way you might be comfortable in the back seat is if you are short and sitting in the front, there will be some room in the back. As far as improvements go. Can't think of anything. Don't expect this car to be a luxury, comfortable drive. It wasn't designed for that. It is fun, sporty and peppy. Very reliable. Go for it!!!