2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews 9

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
More than an economy car, it's a Mazda
By RC on 04/14/06 08:17 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

There's no other economy car in this price range that will get you Sirius radio, HID headlights, LED taillights, 17" wheels, automatic climate control, Bose audio, DVD-based nav system, LED gauges, heated leather seats, and rain-sensing wipers for $23K. Even base models are well-equipped! Sure, you could get a Hyundai for cheaper, but it's a Hyundai and I'm more social conscious than that. It's not wacky on the inside like a Civic, nor is it as bulbous as a Corolla on the outside - the 3 is just right. Well, it's more than right...it's pretty much perfect for the price!

Mazda3 very Audi-like
By Rex on 04/11/06 20:05 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Replaced a 2002 Infiniti Q45 with this little gem, which has almost as many "goodies" at about 1/3rd the price. Was looking for a disposable "commuter car" with decent mileage and some measure of driving fun. I considered Prius (boring), Civic Hybrid (cheesy), Audi A3 & A4 (great cars for people that like to drive), Acura TSX (just a fancy Accord), and BMW 3 (too, well, pretentious) before trying the Mazda, and had just about settled on the Audi A3. I had never driven a Mazda and was very pleasantly surprised. Good (not great, but considering the price, good) performance and handling, gorgeous interior, and enough electronic toys to make the morning commute almost entertaining. Two thumbs up.

Great little car
By Jason Trojacek on 04/06/06 12:41 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I had a Dodge pickup truck, which I loved, but the gas priced were killing me. I get about twice the gas mileage in this little car. It's not as good as some other small cars, but compared to the truck it's excellent. The base 5 door is loaded with all kinds of fun stuff. I could use a little more horsepower and torque, come on Mazdaspeed. But the car serves me well in my daily commute. I was a little put off by the walk-in price. I couldn't get anything below MSRP. So I tried the internet and was able to find one for $100 over invoice.

Terrific Car
By Richard Stone Mtn GA on 04/03/06 13:50 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I've been driving Alfa Romeo sedans for 30 years, so I know what kind of small high-performance sedans I like. I dreaded giving up my last Alfa, but when I drove the 3s hatchback, I realized that I had found a worthy successor. This car tracks like an Alfa, but I found the engine far smoother, torquier, and more powerful than a comparable 2L Alfa I4. After spending February in Turin, Italy and seeing the latest offerings from Alfa, then coming home and buying a 3s Touring, I realized I had found superior bargain. If Alfa ever comes back to the US, they'll never be able to match this Mazda in build or performance for under $20K. I love this car! (This is my first Japanese automobile).

Smooth city car
By Juan de fuca on 03/27/06 08:53 AM (PST)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Great car! I did a ton of research before buying this car and drove just about everything I could find (Toyota/Scion,Honda,Chevy,Ford....). Nothing felt as solid and responsive as the 3. So far (4,000 miles) this car is great; it's smooth, well built, the fuel economy isn't spectacular but it is reasonably good (25-28). It is a little too easy to speed.The clutch is good and the shifter is excellent. I can actually lay down in back to sleep! And I'm 6ft tall! I highly recommend this car. Bargain for the price.

Wonderful, best in it's class.
By Will on 03/21/06 14:14 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I am writing this review of my new Mazda 3 mainly because I am one that reads A LOT of these reviews before buying anything, especially a new car -- so for good karma, I will add to the collective. I LOVE my new Mazda3 on so many levels that I will not be able to got into them. But for anyone considering this car, I can honestly say I regret nothing form buying this car. I also seriously considered the Toyota Matrix/RAV4, Hyundai Tuscon, Subaru Forrester, Honda Accord. I test drove them all multiple times as well as did in depth research online. They all came out pretty close on paper, but the Mazda was incomparable when behind the wheel. It is fun, sporty, great mileage, and reliable.

Don't buy a compact till you drive a 3.
By Dave on 03/19/06 21:18 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

After driving our 3 for about 6 months now, I can say without reservation that we have never owned a car that we enjoyed driving so much and had so much confidence in. It performs superbly, is beautiful to look at, and has so much more "character" than the other compacts we tested, including those from Toyota, Honda, Ford, etc. I don't know why anyone would need or want more in a car. It is an exceptional value because it looks and drives like a car costing twice as much. In short, we'd buy another one in a heartbeat. Some Hondas and Toyotas get better mileage, but who cares? This car pays dividends in fun that the others can't touch and the attention to detail is exemplary.

happy owner
By Owner111 on 03/16/06 20:22 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Great car for the money, the BMW of economy cars. Top notch styling inside and out, 17in. wheels, all power options included, 4 wheel discs w/ABS and EBD and a pretty good stereo for $15k? When you consider how much fun it is to drive - with the excellent handling, acceleration and braking of a 30k sport sedan - competitors like the Corolla S model (with the spoiler and aero body cladding mated to a 126hp engine) are blown away. It boggles the mind why Ford won't incorporate this platform into its US based Focus line yet does so abroad.

Can't Get Enough!
By Brian on 03/10/06 15:24 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I went from a 1990 V8 Ford Mustang to this car. All I can say is WOW! Although there is a drop in horsepower from the Ford to the Mazda3, I hardly notice it. The car handles much better and the features can't be beat. The automatic transmission is fun to drive as well. I'm always looking for an excuse to drive my car. The fuel economy is so-so, but an improvement over my last vehicle. All-in-all, this is a must drive. The only gripes I have are that my right knee rests a little uncomfortably on the center console and the sun visors are too small.

I love this car.
By Hannah on 03/07/06 20:38 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for only three days now and I am infatuated with it. When I'm not driving it, I am wishing I were. I love doing errands now! It handles so well. The steering is incredibly responsive and the brakes are excellent. It feels like a much more expensive car than it actually is. Mazda did a fantastic job. One complaint - the ride over a bumpy road can be pretty rough. Also, if you turn on the lights during the day, you cannot see the numbers on the dials because of the electroluminescent lights. Other than these tiny things, it's great! I'm cutting this review short so I can go drive.