2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
Best Bang for the Buck
By KeepAustinWeird on 05/25/06 13:37 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Replaced my VW GTI with a MZ3 S hatchback. Was stunned by the test drive. MZ3 handled better than the GTI and was nearly as quick. Very nice interior for the money and a a real back seat with plenty of trunk space to spare. Mileage is also pretty good to unless you really bury your foot in the gas - which is easy to do with the 2.3 motor. Variable valve timing kicks in quickly and the car really takes off when you want it to. I can't imagine doing better with any other car in the $17K range. Fit and finish are exceptional and I suppose only time will tell as to reliability but the car has a great rep and it is built in Japan.

Mazda 3 for me
By keith on 05/24/06 06:30 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Great feel, fun to drive, handles well, solid braking, and plenty of pickup, especially with the 5 speed. Nice features, great sound, easy to operate.

I was hooked on Toyota's ... not anymore
By Nicole on 05/23/06 06:43 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned the Mazda3 hatch (in the attention commanding Winning Blue, of course) for 6 months and I am VERY impressed. I've never considered vehicles outside of Toyota or Honda and am so glad I took the leap. I've never had better handling. I saw this car on the road and HAD to have it. I spent just a little extra to get the moonroof/6 cd package, rear bumper step plate, moonroof wind deflector, cargo tray, cassette player, and autodim mirror. Coming in at exactly $20k, every option was well worth it and, since I purchased them with the vehicle, they are warrantied for 50k miles too. Only thing to add now is the $700 Phatnoise MP3 system. Mazda is smooth to offer this voice activated system.

BIG CAR FEELING IN A NEAT PACKAGE
By Billy Mac on 05/10/06 19:17 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Went to dealership to buy a Mazda Tribute as I wanted sport utility functionality. I drove the Tribute and then saw the Mazda 3; took a test drive and bought the car based on its comfort, looks and the ride is superb compared to the Tribute. Fun to drive and it has great gadgets: radio, driver information center, etc.

lives up to zoom zoom slogan
By claude cabral on 05/06/06 11:43 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Went on a 2000 mile holiday through mountains, foothills and plains and the Mazda 3's performance blew me away. I could downshift at high speeds and get a instant surge of power and acceleration because of its smooth high revving motor. Wind noise is low and car handled tight curves with control and confidence. Steering feel is accurate and tight. The dash appointments, layout and interior comfort is topnotch.The hatch with the 60-40 fold down seat is versatile and spacious. The styling of the car is eye catching and impressive. One of the most impressive options is the 5 speed automatic transmission with the manual override feature that I used all the time. I didn't miss the clutch at all.

Closest to a Mini 5 door Wagon !
By n2kalo on 05/04/06 17:05 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in my beloved '03 Mini Cooper. Loved that car, but utility demands forced to sell. But not disappointed so far, M3s is more versatile and has more pickup than my CVT Mini. I also note that the more "bang for buck" features were appealing. This is my second Mazda experience; my first was a '88 RX-7 convertible and it had no problems.. The only gripe so far is that the car doesn't have autolocks and the MPG's could be better. Also obviously the handling is not quite up to the Mini, more lean in corners than the Mini. But I find that the Mazda 3S is much more compliant and comfy on the poor roads in Hawaii. Sporty with a good cross of features and added utility just makes sense.

Looking Good
By shippy1973 on 04/27/06 17:14 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent handling and acceleration for a 2.3L. May be a tight fit for taller people. Really fun to drive. Way too much brake dust on rear wheels. Factory tires will be expensive to replace. Has 17" rims. A/C could be colder. Comes with almost every option most drivers want as standard. Love the steering wheel controls. Trunk space is adequate unless you shop for groceries once a month. As advertised gas mileage (approximately 27). Gas light comes on at about 2-3 gallons left. Love the interior panel lighting. Auto/Manual mode is cool to play with and you don't have to downshift when in manual mode. Rear leg room is sparse. Overall, I am very happy with my purchase 7 months in.

Drives like a go-kart!
By venguyen on 04/25/06 11:50 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I upgraded my car from a very practical and fuel-efficient Honda Civic. I LOVE driving the Mazda 3--not just because of its unique styling, but also because of its incredible handling. I rarely brake around corners anymore--it drives like a go-kart. Very stable, incredible handling. The only thing I don't like about my car is the poor gas mileage. Other than that, it really is Zoom Zoom.

My second Mazda3!
By lmp180psu on 04/21/06 06:35 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 06 GT 5-door to replace my 04 3 sedan, which I loved aside from the cargo carrying limitations. I have 3 dogs, and occasionally have to transport them 150 miles to visit my mom. I also went for the GT hatch because of the new features (for me anyway) such as leather (heated) seats, auto climate control, information center, auto lights/wipers, and 5 speed auto.

Wow....
By linalunar on 04/17/06 06:49 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in my 2004 Honda civic EX for this car. Although the payments were a little higher because of the APR, it was worth the increase. My insurance went down about $50/month and that balanced out the costs. This car is the best! I love it so much. Much better power/acceleration, air conditioning, braking, stereo ... EVERYTHING! Gas is a little more expensive, but so what? Car is worth every penny and more. Don't buy in a dark color unless you do not tailgate, front end paint chips easily. Otherwise I love my car! Can't wait for summer to cruise around more often. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.