Used 2006 Mazda 3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

An Asset
By Hokie

2006 Mazda 3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. Its great in handling, pick-up and fuel mileage. I had Civic and also took a test drive of the new one, but nothing is as good as Mazda3.

Pick-up, styling, steering, interiors.

Need to work on AC.

Arrest Me Red Mazda 3 Sport GT
By XPTaurus

2006 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I own the Mazda 3 Sport GT. I was a die hard Honda fan. One look and a test drive changed all that! I absolutely love this car! Thanks Mazda. It's got the feel of a formula vehicle.You can actually feel it in the drive. Handles great in our harsh Canadian winters. I know because I have an hour drive to work every morning then an hour home every night. I even tried talking my wife into getting one. Thanks again Mazda.

Heated mirrors and the trunk adaptation features. Adjustable lumbar support.

Portals for mp3 players and I don't mean a transmitter. Slight adjustment of the center console. Too sharp of an edge at the driver's side knee space. Standard colored brakes will make for a sharper more aggressive looking sport model.

Heart of a Sports Car - Sleek Looks
By HorsySce

2006 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have 25,000 miles on my winning blue hatchback and am very satisified with my purchase. It accelerates fast and handles like a Porsche. It looks great on the road (especially with tint). It could use slightly better gas mileage, but it's not too bad. One complaint is the tires - the Goodyear Eagle RSAs it comes with from the factory are pretty great in the summer but useless in the winter. The hard rubber freezes up and is dangerous with even an inch of snow on the ground. I frequently got stuck in the snow. After purchasing Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires for the winter, I'm very satisfied. I recommend doing the same.

Road handling, power everything, steering wheel controls.

Factory tires are dangerous in the winter. I'd like a plug for my mp3 player (2007 models now come with this).

Love it with reservations
By Kevin Guyer

2006 Mazda 3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I traded down from a Volvo V40, now the V50 to the Mazda-3S hatchback. While the quality of the interior materials in the Mazda are of a much lower quality. the comfort and ride is far superior. This is a great car for the money. I just drove it from New York to Miami and it was a pleasure. The only problem, and this drives me nuts, is when I'm in 5th gear, every time I put my foot on the gas pedal an audible whistling/vacuum cleaner sound from the engine starts and intensifies as I speed up. The moment I take my foot off the gas it stops. It is awful and I need to play music all the time in order to mask it.

Storage space is great, the controls on the steering wheel - cruise control, volume controls - are great. The gas mileage is good. The look of the car is great.

Fix the whistling sound! And use interior materials that don't get dirty so easily and are easier to clean.

Almost perfect
By Aliona

2006 Mazda 3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I needed a compact wagon, Mazda3 seemed to be the best in this class in March 2006. I enjoy driving it, although it aannoyingly falls short of expectations while there seems to be no reason not to make it perfect.

Responsive, powerful and fun to drive. Very stable at high speeds.

Clock occasionally gets behind by 20-30 minutes for no reason. Not enough range in telescopic steering wheel for a short woman. Fuel economy on the highway (~25mpg) is worse than in the mix of highway and city (~28.5 mpg). Foot rest needs rubber plate. Fan on windshield should not always have the AC on.