2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
Just needs a little more power
By FSTASNTZ on 06/09/06 10:26 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Handles nicely for a car of this price range and class. Not too loud, but does have a little road noise. Power is decent, but would prefer something closer to 200hp, without having to buy the Mazdaspeed version. Nice smooth shifter, almost no torque steer. Brakes are just about perfect for the weight of the car. Mileage is about on par with the sticker 27-31 mpg, and I only have 800 miles on it. Wheels could be a little wider to hold a wider tire, maybe a 225, and not a 205.

Zoom-Zoom
By Fish fosh on 06/07/06 18:52 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car 5 days ago. I have had 4 Beemers looking to race me. (I didn't of course). People young and old look at this car. Lots of flash for the money.

Fun, Stylish, Economical
By John Sipple on 06/07/06 18:36 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We love our new Mazda3. We got the fully loaded touring edition with the sport 5 speed auto transmission. We have not had an automatic for 25 years. This is a pleasure to drive in both auto and manual mode. I just drove the length of Mulholland Highway today, switching between the two shift modes. It really is a pleasure to feel the quality and performance of a well-made small car. Works well for shopping trips also. All the grand touring extras seem to be worth the extra money ... trip computer, high tech adjustable headlights, premium audio, etc. They all work and we are using them. Great car.

My first Mazda
By superddawg on 06/06/06 09:30 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Wow, this car is fun to drive! I can definitely tell a power difference between it and some other cars at which I was looking. I can't believe the acceleration from a 4-cylinder engine! I also enjoy being able to change to manual shifting for winding roads. It is also a plus for cruising on the Interstate when approaching a big hill ... just drop it down into 4th gear and there's no loss of speed. I am impressed with how quiet the engine and road noise are at 80 MPH. In addition, the extra storage space will come in handy after the after market stereo and speakers are installed. This was a big problem with my previous car ... I lost all of my trunk space. The headlights are awesome!

impressive...very impressive
By paul0346 on 06/02/06 05:43 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I own a dog, and with our first child on the way, we desired a vehicle that would allow us to keep the dog away from the baby, and have the space to carry a pack 'n' play crib when we drive to visit our relatives, that still gave us decent gas mileage (i.e. SUV's were out). We researched the Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe, VW Jetta Wagon, and the Mazda 3 wagon. After test-driving all vehicles, the 3 stood head and shoulders above the rest in regards to performance, comfort and styling. We are very impressed with our 3!

The BEST Little Wagon
By Jimoi on 05/31/06 19:29 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Before purchasing the Mazda3 wagon, I compared it to the PT Cruiser, Toyota Matrix, and the Subaru Outback. The Mazda3 no doubt had the best performance, interior and exterior design, and unique features not found on the others. Acceleration is smooth and easy, but also has great pick up and go. Handling is tight and nimble; a breeze around corners. The stereo has a great sound, and the gauges are easy to read and a definite eye catcher. Many people believe that it is a higher priced vehicle that it really is!

You Can't Go Wrong
By Very Good Purchase on 05/31/06 07:14 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I am the type of guy who really does my homework before purchasing a car. I read many of the reviews on here, and on Yahoo. I visited 4 dealerships, and test drove the car at each of them. When I decided to purchase the car I did it online through Edmunds. Be careful, cause many of the dealerships will say a low price, but when you arrive it jumped up $2-3k, cause of options. I love the car. Handles great, got 30mpg on my first tank of gas, plenty of room, very quite, and easy to drive. Great Buy!

After 3 months, it's still fun to drive
By Thierry J.B. on 05/28/06 17:37 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Mazda3 5-door for 3 months and still I love to drive it. If you're thinking about getting one and you love music, get it with the moonroof audio package.

Just got one
By rjacrossla on 05/26/06 19:53 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I fell in love at first sight. Committed after one test drive. I was waiting for VW to roll out 4-door GTI (heard rumors/got kids/they sell' em in Europe). Couldn't wait. My 100 mile a day commute across L.A. killed my old car. This is the first full week of commuting in the car and I love it. The ride is solid, the car corners nice and flat, and the gas mileage is pretty good. The car is so fun to drive, I'm leaving for work at 5 am so I can take her up to speeds faster that 10mph. My wife even likes the car (hated the GTI). I would recommend to any one looking for value and fun.

Finally, a car that's fun & economical!
By Jennifer on 05/25/06 20:28 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I originally tried to lease the Mazda 3 back in Jan., but the payments were too high and I really didn't want to pay $1000's and have nothing to show for it three years from now. By the end of March, I was ready to buy. I had already taken a test drive of the Mazda in Jan., and was really impressed. I tested it against the Civic and Corolla (just like another reviewer) and felt the same way--the Corolla was completely unimpressive and very boring, and I've driven enough Civic's to know that, as reliable a car as they are, I'll be like the other 5 million people who have one in LA. After my second test drive of the Mazda, I was sold, and have been very happy with my choice.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.