Used 2006 Mazda 3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mazda 3 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Mazda 3 5-door
By d harvey

2006 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Great storage space with real sports car feel.

Extraordinary handling and power. Styling and craftsmanship make it hard to believe that it is an "entry level" car. Seats are very supportive.

Plastic interior door panels are too soft... scratch too easily.

Zoom zoom
By Tiq

2006 Mazda 3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

For a 160hp pocket rocket, it makes ground really fast. This ride can hit 60mph at 3rd gear. It's effortless when climbing. Never doubt if a car pops in front of you and you have slow down or brake and it can accelerate right back with ease.

Front grill and headlamps.

Better gas mileage. Make leather seats standard for all S models.

Great CAR!
By Mark of MS

2006 Mazda 3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I traded a 2003 Chevy Silverado in on this Mazda 3 5-door because the Chevy truck was the most uncomfortable vehicle I've ever owned. The Mazda 3 has a 2.3l inline 4-cylinder that has quicker zip than even my 6-cylinder truck had, and 30 mpg highway isn't bad. The drivers seat is very comfortable and all the controls are very easy to reach. I strongly recommend the 5-speed manual transmission for the most pep. Visibility is awesome in this vehicle. I drove a Toyota RAV4, Hyundai Tuscon, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Honda Civic (my second choice), and a Dodge Caliber before finally deciding the Mazda was the best choice. None of the other vehicles even come close in performance and visibility.

The pep and quickness of the 2.3l engine is my favorite. The body design is second. Back seat room is also pretty good. Not as good as my wifes Chrysler 300M, but the average adult back seat passenger has enough room for a comfortable ride.

Room in the hatch could be a little better. I have to fold down one of the seats to fit my golf bag, although I wouldn't compromise back seat legroom. Air conditioner could put out a bit more cold. It's cold enough to provide comfort in 95+ degree heat, but it takes a while to bring temp down.

Almost perfect
By Alberto

2006 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The 3 is an excellent blend of performance, economy, space, quality and style. On paper, comparisons to the Civic and Matrix seemed appropriate, but behind the wheel the 3 proved itself to have no peer in this price range. It seems more BMW 3 than Mazda 3, with the thoughtful blend of speed and comfort, the Teutonic feel of its controls and apertures, the wily blend of family-car and naughty-car. No, it's not perfect. Some things, I suspect, may be blamed on the marketing department, e.g. gouging us on the cost of the navigation system and the MP3 player. And a few things might be blamed on the engineers, such as the small sunroof and the lack of a 6th gear. But overall, outstanding!

BALANCE, evidenced by superb, rally-type handling in the snow. DESIGN, proven by SUV-scale trips to the store, wagon-scale handling of our baby seat, and admiring glances. Real AND apparent quality, witnessed by the solid THUNK of doors and 9000 miles of (mostly) carefree driving. Sweet shifter!

(1) With a sixth gear, MPG would be far better. (Blame car mags with their emphasis on top-gear-passing-times. Hello! I don't mind downshifting! That's why I bought a stick). (2) Just me, but the sunroof should be bigger. (3) MP3 costs $500? Mazda, that's ridiculous! (4) $2000 nav? Equally dumb.

A good value
By Steve

2006 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have only has the car a short time, but I am overall impressed. Good features for a compact car. I traded in a 2004 Acura TL because of financial reasons, and don't feel like I have given up a lot. I got the NAVI and Bose. I would like to be able to play MP3 CDs, but got the cassette deck to use an adapter for my iPod. Works fine. Much better utility than the TL. My complaints are lack of dead pedal, mats are lousy, and the brake and accelerator are a bit too close. I find the left side of my right foot hitting the brake when I put my foot on the gas or take it off. My TL had great cupholders (seems silly, but used every day, right?), but these are good too.

Handling, smooth shifter, lots of features for the buck, good cargo capacity, large glove box, CDs fit perfectly in center console, good pickup for a small car, decent sound system, lit steering wheel controls.

Lighted vanity mirrors, seat memory, heated mirrors, traction control, Bluetooth phone.