Used 2006 Mazda 3 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mazda 3 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Mazda3 S - touring. Still 2nd best
By rogracin

2006 Mazda 3 Sedan s Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased our 2006 Mazda3 s - new. Went with the Touring package to get side curtain/seat airbags and sport tires/ rims. We have 77k miles now, While it is good car the quality is low. Carpet, seats, visor, rear view mirror, visors are all worn or broken. One major thing I hate is the oil filter placement. Had to replace the drivers window/lock cluster cause that stopped working. I do all my oil changes but to reach the filter you have to remove the underbody shield consisting of 5 bolts and numerous clips. This car replaced our 1988 MX6 we kept for 23 years. I did not have these problems until well after 150k on my MX6.

Fuel economy. Hit, install a K&N air filter to increase MPG and low end torque.

Quality.

Awesome Sedan, Great Value
By pepsizen

2006 Mazda 3 Sedan s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for a year and a half now and I really like it a lot. It feels like I'm driving a sports car because of the pep and the great handling. It has 90k miles on it and in the time I've had it I haven't had to do anything other than regular maintenance. It is very reliable and I don't mind that it doesn't get great gas mileage (I average 25 - 28 mpg with a mix of city/highway) because it is so fun to drive. The sporty/luxury mix is perfect. In the snow and ice, one must be careful of the pep and be easy on the gas pedal when accelerating after stopping, but other than that, I've had no problems driving it in the snow.

The rain-sensing automatic windshield wipers are by far my favorite feature. I also appreciate the automatic light-sensing headlights too - one less thing to worry about when driving. The heated leather seats are nice. There are controls to adjust the driver's seat to accommodate short people like me. The headlights are bright with a good spread, makes it easier to see on darkened country. roads without needing to turn on the brights. The overall quality of this car inside and out is really great. It's not very expensive either. The sunroof and fog lights are nice to have.

I changed the stereo out because there is no USB/iPod port on this year's model and I didn't want to mess with CD's, so now the lighted display on the dash does not work (it is built into the factory stereo) and I don't know what temperature I'm setting the heating and cooling at. The rear window defroster could work quicker and more efficiently. I'd like the seats to be more comfortable and I think the ride could be smoother. But not at the expense of the pep! The back tires were cupped when I bought it, not sure if that is common or not, but the new tires the dealership installed 13k miles ago aren't cupping so far. Could use automatic trunk release

Poor gas milage
By lordmetalz28

2006 Mazda 3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

although i love everything about this car. i bought it for the gas milage and the gas mileage is disgusting. so now im locked into a 5 year 13k mistake.

everything but the gas milage

gas milage

Fanatastic Car!!
By afranchuk993

2006 Mazda 3 Sedan s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This car is fantastic! Never gives me any problems! The seats are extremely comfy no matter how long the drive. The fuel economy has been great (about 25-28 mpg) It also has a HUGE glove compartment and huge trunk. There is so much storage space! For some reason mine vibrates when idling at a red light and jerks when going from the 3rd to 4th gear. It never has left me stranded anywhere, but when my mother drove it in the winter it left her stranded at safeway and also overheated. But I have never once had a problem. But my mothers 2007 Mazda 3 GT is smooth, runs fantastic and never has a problem. These are great cars and I would suggest buying one!

Huge glove compartment, Fun to drive, Speedy, Comfortable seating

Maybe better fuel economy...

Great Car for the Money
By Ryan

2006 Mazda 3 Sedan s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Out of college was on a budget of 15k. Bought a 2006 Mazda 3 with 45k miles on it for 12k, 14k after financing and taxes. Bought the 2.3 version, and it has been an excellent car. Great pick up for a 4 cyl. Handling is amazing, easily equals the maxima i had to trade in. Gas mileage leaves something to be desired (i average about 25). leather is fake feeling, but hey, heated leather for a 14k car isn't bad. on board GPS is ok but outdated. Bose sound system is nice but not as good as i expected (again 14k). sun roof is a nice touch. lacks torque to put you back in your seat. if you are a looking for a great, reliable, go-kart like car to drive for under 16k, look for used mazda3.

heated (but not the leather) seats, gps, Bose, surprising pick up (but still a 4 cyl), GREAT handling, Bose, sun roof, very reasonable price

honestly, what could you improve without charging more? perfect balance of cost and performance.