Used 2006 Mazda 3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mazda 3 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

first newer Mazda for me not bad at all.
By Frankito Giron

2006 Mazda 3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the mazda3 from a private seller for $5100 great car get a easy 4.2 out 5 from me stock suspension is comfy, i did install coilovers obviously ride became a bit stiffer but not bad. is been great.

the mazda3 is a good car interior is probably the top best in its class that includes good cargo space back seats well laid out and comfortable all around, outside looks the hatch looks so welcoming and nice, no offence to the sedan owners. the engine is a 2.3 liter has decent acceleration and smooth, has projector lights so you can use hids

big issue with car the a/c usually takes about 3 minutes to start i heard is a little issue with some of them. the mpg are not as good as i expected has the same mpg as the faster newer mazdaspeed3 or 6, and its fwd my first fwd turning radius could be better. expect o2 sensor to go out around 135k miles just one $125 online easy to replace at home.

I would buy another one!
By clapp6

2006 Mazda 3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

After owning this car for 1 year here are my thoughts: 1)Fun to drive everyday 2)Not as much cargo room as you think 3)Breaks a lot! (been in the shop multiple times for bad shocks, replace belts, power steering pump, and many more parts) 4)Good gas mileage but could be better 5)That zoom zoom factor is addicting Simply put, every time I drive this car I fall in love with it a little bit more even though it has it flaws.

2006 Mazda3 Hatchback
By carl999

2006 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

A great small car. Fun to drive, always reliable.

Great fun, and reasonably practical
By lurkin

2006 Mazda 3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I prefer a standard shift, and so I really enjoy this car. It is the best car I have ever owned, considering it cost me $17k as an "economy car." Great value. Cargo capacity is impressive, comfort is very reasonable, although over time, chintzy interior materials and high maintenance bills disappoint. She eats tires and her tires are expensive; third set within 100k miles at $750 a set. Expensive also was the turn-signal switch replacement with "stealership" labor pricing, as well as a broken motor mount, and failed fuel injector. Downside is, maintenance adds up pretty substantially, IMO. You do pay for the sporty performance eventually. Great fun, versatile and reasonably practical.

Responsiveness and handling, acceleration on straightaways; really good performance with 5–speed manual shift; and you really can haul an impressive amount of cargo in this vehicle. Great lines and generous in design and standard features, though I think that now, 5 years later Mazda is getting a little outlandish with their styling for the Mazda3.

I wish that tMazda would lighten up with their labor charges. It felt like robbery to pay $420 for a fuel injector replacement, or $250 for a broken (nylon) motor mount, or $150 for a turn–signal switch. Also, it is sheer opportunism to charge $100 to clear the computer code, when an auto parts store can do it for free. Caveat emptor; economy pricing up-front will vanish with scheduled maintenance. However, with all that said, I do like this car very much and would own a Mazda6 maybe someday ;o)

Best Car Out There
By gegpdx

2006 Mazda 3 Hatchback s Grand Touring 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2006 Mazda3 Grand Touring Hatchback new when it first came out in '05 and drove it for about 78,000 miles before a guy lost control of his car on a highway, hit the driver side of my car causing the airbags to deploy and spinning us into a ditch. Because of the high safety standards, we were all able to walk away from the accident with minor injuries, when looking at my car, we should have been on stretchers. My car saved our lives. I loved this car and will be buying a new one just as soon as I can find one. They are so great that no one wants to part with theirs. I recommend this car to everyone. Fun to drive, safe, and reliable.

Safety, good sounds system, great gas mileage, nice interior styling, amazing handling.