Used 2006 Mazda Mazda3 s Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mazda Mazda3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:

first newer Mazda for me not bad at all.
By Frankito Giron

2006 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the mazda3 from a private seller for $5100 great car get a easy 4.2 out 5 from me stock suspension is comfy, i did install coilovers obviously ride became a bit stiffer but not bad. is been great.

Favorite Features

the mazda3 is a good car interior is probably the top best in its class that includes good cargo space back seats well laid out and comfortable all around, outside looks the hatch looks so welcoming and nice, no offence to the sedan owners. the engine is a 2.3 liter has decent acceleration and smooth, has projector lights so you can use hids

Suggested Improvements

big issue with car the a/c usually takes about 3 minutes to start i heard is a little issue with some of them. the mpg are not as good as i expected has the same mpg as the faster newer mazdaspeed3 or 6, and its fwd my first fwd turning radius could be better. expect o2 sensor to go out around 135k miles just one $125 online easy to replace at home.

I would buy another one!
By clapp6

2006 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

After owning this car for 1 year here are my thoughts: 1)Fun to drive everyday 2)Not as much cargo room as you think 3)Breaks a lot! (been in the shop multiple times for bad shocks, replace belts, power steering pump, and many more parts) 4)Good gas mileage but could be better 5)That zoom zoom factor is addicting Simply put, every time I drive this car I fall in love with it a little bit more even though it has it flaws.

Great fun, and reasonably practical
By lurkin

2006 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I prefer a standard shift, and so I really enjoy this car. It is the best car I have ever owned, considering it cost me $17k as an "economy car." Great value. Cargo capacity is impressive, comfort is very reasonable, although over time, chintzy interior materials and high maintenance bills disappoint. She eats tires and her tires are expensive; third set within 100k miles at $750 a set. Expensive also was the turn-signal switch replacement with "stealership" labor pricing, as well as a broken motor mount, and failed fuel injector. Downside is, maintenance adds up pretty substantially, IMO. You do pay for the sporty performance eventually. Great fun, versatile and reasonably practical.

Favorite Features

Responsiveness and handling, acceleration on straightaways; really good performance with 5–speed manual shift; and you really can haul an impressive amount of cargo in this vehicle. Great lines and generous in design and standard features, though I think that now, 5 years later Mazda is getting a little outlandish with their styling for the Mazda3.

Suggested Improvements

I wish that tMazda would lighten up with their labor charges. It felt like robbery to pay $420 for a fuel injector replacement, or $250 for a broken (nylon) motor mount, or $150 for a turn–signal switch. Also, it is sheer opportunism to charge $100 to clear the computer code, when an auto parts store can do it for free. Caveat emptor; economy pricing up-front will vanish with scheduled maintenance. However, with all that said, I do like this car very much and would own a Mazda6 maybe someday ;o)

Tire issues
By KayakMazda

2006 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

So I am having a similar problem, alignments off, and I am not rough on driving. The tires won't last long and I have gone with several brands, they still couple. (sp) I will say Dealership was great with belts and replacement pricing. That was Gainesville GA Mazda. Cheaper than my normal mechanic. shocking.

Favorite Features

I went from xterra to mazda3 hatch and it has a lot of room and it is like a sports car to me. I can still haul all the gear that I normally had with xterra.

Suggested Improvements

Find a way to keep alignment on, and better tires that will last longer.

No regrets! Love this car!
By TM

2006 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

After much research, I bought a Mazda3 hatch, LOVE it, decided to write a review since reviews helped me pick the 3. Comfortable ride, though can hear/feel road more than in some cars. 28mpg mixed driving, 36mpg highway on a recent 1,300 mile trip. Engine labored a bit going thru mountains, cruise control liked to rev 5mph at top of hils. Cruise control and audio controls on the steering wheel are great! Some reviews complain about the A/C--comfortable for the front seat, airflow to rear not as good but tolerable. (Change cabin air filter since this keeps the A/C at peak performance.) Nice hatch for extra cargo. Super 'compromise' for a racecar--sporty performance/handling, fun to drive!

Favorite Features

Bold exterior styling/curves, gets noticed. Gas mileage--not as good as some in its class, but this car's performance, reliability, and all- around class trumps that for me. Compact, ease of parking in/backing from tight spaces and turning in tight areas, passes cars on the highway easily.

Suggested Improvements

Ipod aux most definitely. Could hear air through driver's door around 75- 80mph on the highway, not noticeable most of the time, could just be my car. Blind spot (for me) on the front passenger side due to the molding, not a big deal. Better interior plastics, but good for an economy car.