2005 Mazda 3 Consumer Review: Mazda3 2.3L Engine Failure

2005 Mazda 3 - Consumer Review

s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Mazda3 2.3L Engine Failure
By bmpskier on

2005 Mazda 3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Heads up to all owners with Mazda 2.3L engines. I bought a 2005 Mazda3 with 110K km on the engine. It was in excellent condition inside and out having been maintained regularly per the Mazda recommendations. Less than 2500 km after I bought it it suddenly dropped 3L of oil in about 1500km. I had to spend 7K on a new engine having. There was no evidence of a leak or that it was burning oil. It just disappeared. I spoke to the service dept at the dealership and they told me that the 2004-2007 2.3L is prone to this problem and short of replacing the engine there is no fix other than to put in a heavier oil to slow consumption.

Favorite Features

Engine problems notwithstanding, it looks sporty inside and out. It drives and handles excellent on dry and wet roads (I have yet to test winter driving though). Suspension is on the stiff side but this helps the car stick to the road.

Suggested Improvements

Mazda could be more accountable with this particular engine and be honest and forthright with those people who have cars with this particular engine in it. Mazda ignoring the problem and not telling consumers that they need keep a close eye on oil levels in 2.3 litre engines is irresponsible and drags down the reputation they have built up over the years. They could also provide the same warrantee on factory rebuilt 2.3L engines that they provide on new cars. The 1 yr/20,000km they currently provide on the 2.3 engine proves they have a lack of confidence.
By ozansan
on 06/19/15 14:45 PM (PDT)

Did you inspect the car Well before u bought it ?