Great car, poor MPG
By Slick26 on
2005 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)
All things considered, I think this has so far been a great car. Build quality and reliability have been superb. As has handling and over-all general performance. My main concerns about this car have been fuel economy and room. Now I knew I was buying a compact car, so I can't complain too much about room. But just take note, if you have kids, especially small kids in car seats, this car gets extremely small in a hurry. Put two car seats in the back and you have no room for anything, and driver and front passenger become very uncomfortable. Now, where I am most disappointed is fuel economy. I cannot get better than 23 mpg hwy/20 city no matter how hard I try. And I drive very conservatively.
Favorite Features
I love the dash and gauges. Very cool. I have the 4-speed automatic w/auto stick, and I really like having this feature... but 4 gears isn't enough. That's also part of the reason for poor fuel mileage. 5 gears would be better, but they addressed that in '06.
Suggested Improvements
Independent fog lights so you can turn them on with the parking lights, and don't NEED the headlights on. (Weird quirk that the younger generation(s) appreciate.