Used 2005 Mazda 3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mazda 3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Canadian Mazda
By oksana

2005 Mazda 3 Hatchback SP23 Special Edition 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Just an excellent small car! So fun to drive! Beats my old 316 (to my surprise). Zips around the city, good and steady on the highway, get better mileage than manual claims.

Favorite Features

Good engine, excellent brakes, super suspension.

Suggested Improvements

Too narrow for the tall driver.

More fun than a Civic or Corolla
By gantw

2005 Mazda 3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Mazda3 after owning two Honda Civics and a Toyota Corolla. The Mazda feels like a race car in comparison: peppy 2.3L engine, strong 4-wheel disc brakes, quick steering, precise clutch/ shifter, and firm suspension/tight handling. I plan to drive my car in autocross races -- its handling is that good. On the flip side, my Mazda3's build quality is poor compared to Honda or Toyota standards. After just four months and 5,000 miles, my car has more rattles in the dash and doors than one of my Civics had after eight years and 110,000 miles! My car's fuel economy (2.3L engine/manual trans./moderate throttle) has been 25-27 mpg city (A/C on) to 30-31 mpg city (A/C off).

Favorite Features

Sport-sedan driving dynamics, clutch/shifter, seats, gauges (esp. at night), steering wheel stereo controls, headlights, hatchback utility (including compartments under cargo floor), large glovebox, exterior styling, basic warranty (4 yrs./50,000 miles), and lower insurance premium than Civic.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the interior build quality/materials, install less dusty rear brake pads (they're made from a cheaper material than the fronts), and increase the fuel economy of the 2.3L engine.

Great car
By Chuck

2005 Mazda 3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Needed a car for back & forth to work but wanted something a little different & fun to drive. Well my Mazda 3 was it. I love the front grill, 17" tires, sport tranny, & steering wheel controls for radio & cruise. The 2.3 engine really moves & the handling is great. Interior quality is much better then my '03 Jetta. Trunk space was a little small even with the hatchback, but my golf clubs fit so I'm happy!

Favorite Features

Sunroof & CD changer package. Leather steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Trunk release from inside the car, automatic locking doors when you go over 5 miles a hour. Bigger trunk.

SP23 is a Great Start
By Norman Fowler

2005 Mazda 3 Hatchback SP23 Special Edition 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my SP23 Mazda 3 Hatchback now for seven months. It was the most difficult new car I ever purchased because it is a limited edition model. With that said it was worth the effort and time. My Mazda dealer was great and worked very hard to secure this car. It is a very fun car to drive but could use more horsepower. The carpets are real low grade and that was a surprise. The Bose sound system is awesome and the standard features of this car are worth the price of the car. Best value for the dollar. Plenty of storage space and with the split rear seats you have plenty of options. Need to make available more choices of of exterior colors.

Favorite Features

Manual transmission. Bose sound system. SP23 standard features. Looks and style of this hatchback are awesome.

Suggested Improvements

Carpet through out this car are cheap and low grade. Offer more exterior colors. More horsepower.

Overrated
By Eddie Money

2005 Mazda 3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in my Subaru WRX to save some money with lower payments, lower insurance and to get better mileage, plus the WRX required premium gas. I just wanted a nice commuter & I even bought an A/T car for the first time in 15 yrs. I like the styling and a lot of the accessories, but what really bugs me is all the loose things on the car. Lots of interior squeaks and there is a clunking in the back after only two weeks. I think the build quality is mediocre. The power sunroof is almost worthless because it makes such an annoying sound when driving down the road at 40-45, it goes away on the freeway.

Favorite Features

Steering wheel radio controls. 17" wheels/tires. Nice acceleration. Exterior styling.

Suggested Improvements

Better build quality and fix the problems with the car before you sell it. This car has over a dozen TSB's for it, but the dealers sell them without fixing them like the substandard rear brake pads and both doors can have loose interior parts.