2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
Zoom----Zoom
By Mosquito on 05/18/05 23:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback SP23 Special Edition 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

It is a great car. This is my first Mazda, I have owned 2 Subaru's prior. For the money I couldn't go wrong. It has all the bells and whistles of most major luxury car makers at a fraction of the price. The design, both interior and exterior are well thought and beautiful. I get people asking me all the time what kind of car is that! It catches people's eyes for sure. After I tinted the window's it took on a totaly different look. I would love to see Mazda put the 6 cyc. in the 3. It would make it even better!! It is quick now, but with the 6 cyc. WOW!

A Good Hatchback in the Long Run?
By psychoart on 05/17/05 16:25 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback SP23 Special Edition 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Not quite a Golf GTI GLX (VR6).It's doesn't feel as comfortable, and as responsive as the VW 4th Generation. Yet, the Mazda3 SP23 may be a better car to keep in the longer run with Xenon HID w/ manual leveling control, some rear LEDs, Bose system, automatic front wiper, audio and cruise controls in the steering wheel, and aluminium 2.3L chassis. The car is somewhat customizable with some aftermarket parts, yet may retain better reliability than the Golf IV in the electronic segment. The engine setup is very strange, and maybe good for some user.At 1k rpm to 2k rpm, the car seems to be on extreme saving mode.It's only near 5k rpm where the car STARTS to kick in. The trunk is well organized.

Mazda 3s 5 door BEST in class!
By GTPONY on 05/14/05 12:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Though I have only owned the car 3 weeks, I am astounded at the quality, performance, styling and value of this car. The car i9s tight and rigid, no rattles, and exits the freeway FLAT. The automatic has a manual shift "tip" option that's great! The 2.3 is the same engine in the Mazda 6 and really MAKES THIS CAR MOVE. This is a sporty, quick, tight car... not an econobox. I agree with the consumer and car magazines.. this car is best in class! Any downsides? Well the car has 17inch low profile tires, so you do feel and hear the road somewhat... but personally I like the feedback and response the tires give me.

Bang for the Buck
By morphball on 05/03/05 11:41 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I comparison shopped this with the Honda 2005 Civic EX SE (hmmmmm...1.7L or 2.3L?), and found this to be the better buy hands down. It is also worth noting the Mazda3 is less expensive to insure than a Honda, due to national crime statsistics. My only gripes so far is that the vehicle was sold to me way out of alignment, and the passenger side airbag seems to be disabled. They offered to fix everything without question of course, but it makes me wonder about Mazda's quality assurance (though it's possible this happened during a demo). Otherwise, it's a beautifully designed Japanese vehicle, that will have many of your friends feeling envious.

this was the best decision i've ever made
By D.Coplin on 05/01/05 13:38 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

this car is amazing...it meets my every need....it goes fast looks good and can hold all my junk!!!!!! its the real meaning of zoom-zoom because thats all i do!!!!!!!

You can't beat this wagon
By Joseph Kirk on 04/17/05 10:35 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Great vehicle so far, Like the mpg/horsepower tradeoff, but with current prices for gasoline, wish it got a few more mpg. Can't wait to get it on an open deserted road to test out the V-rated tires.

Mazda 3: $21,000 worth of fun
By StukaFox on 04/17/05 02:54 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Dropped $21,000 cash, not a BIT of regret: car is surprisingly peppy; suspension like a racecar; snaps to attention when right pedal is pressed. Expecting laggy and plastic, got a car out of a videogame. No bad habits on the road; does what it's told without complaint. Visibility like a F-16's cockpit. Interior is luxury-car roomy. Cargo space that would make some SUV's blush. Piled on leather, airbag package, and ABS, still only came to $21,000 out the door. Was never going to buy import, Mazda 3 totally changed my mind. Detroit, wake up: Japan is about to eat your lunch again!

No More Minivans!
By FL Mom on 04/02/05 22:19 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely love this car! I traded in my minivan because I was sick of spending $70+/week on gas. The handling, design and driving experience are all top notch. The 5- speed is very responsive and gives excellent control. I average just under 30 mpg in mixed driving, with A/C on most of the time (I live in FL). The hatch is surprisingly roomy inside: my 2 kids have ample room in the back, and the hatch has plenty of room for groceries and backpacks. The dash is very attractive, with logical controls. My only real beef is with the horn: wimpy and high pitched. I don't trust that it would grab the attention of other motorists in an emergency.

car of my own
By mags84 on 03/31/05 15:14 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The mazda 3 has never disappointed me in the 5 months of owning it, easily the best car I have driven in terms of handling, performance on and off the highway, and overall style.

Visibility driving/Acceleration/Cargo
By Mike on 03/29/05 18:16 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback SP23 Special Edition 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

NOTE: Vehicle is less than one month old. My issues may stem from being the owner of a new, small car -- having switched from a 2 door coupe, larger American vehicle to this new small, economical car. Front visibility is very good, but side (from 2nd row seats back) and rear visibility is not. Large pillars in rear near hatch make for small windows. That, coupled with tall headrests, makes seeing other cars while changing lanes a hit or miss proposition. Acceleration is somewhat sluggish before vehicle warms up. Also, there seems to be some sluggishness when vehicle changes gears. Cargo space is pretty good when rear seats are folded flat. W/ seats up, cargo space is limited