Used 2005 Mazda 3 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 183 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Awesome car!
By Nickwad

2005 Mazda 3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is one of the best cars I've ever owned. I've owned all of the Japanese brands; this one feels like a European sport sedan. Great handling, build quality and mileage. I average 28 mpg and would probably get 31 mpg if I could keep my foot off of the firewall! It's just fun to drive.

The interior is the most well thought-out I've ever seen in a Japanese car.

As always, more power!! And maybe a 6th gear for the highway.

1 Year plus--and lots to like
By L.A. JAFO

2005 Mazda 3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My wife drives this car around town, but I made sure we took it on some real road trips to make sure it was solid. Am I impressed...you bet! On a 455 mile trip from LA to the Salton Sea and back through Palm Springs in 114 degree heat with the A/C on max it still did 29.2 MPG. On a 700 mile trip to Northern California using highways 101 and 1 we did 33.2 MPG. Power is very good. Handling is solid; it responds like a BMW or an Acura and when you turn the wheel, you move RIGHT NOW, no slop or lag at all. Interior space is good, and even at 6'5 I have both head and leg room thanks to the telescoping steering wheel. Trunk space is very good for big suitcases (2 of them!) or lots of groceries.

After 15,000 miles I can say engine power and smooth acceleration are number one in my book. Layout of instrument gauges and brightness of display lights are easy on the eye yet commands attention, controls on steering wheel are first rate and easy to use.

Car shifts a little roughly from 1st to 2nd gear when cold...or after just starting up in the morning. Dealer saying this is "no problem" is not totally reassuring...but we will see how the auto transmission works out in the long haul.

running great and fun to drive
By adam

2005 Mazda 3 Sedan i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Mazda in March 05 and now have 33K on it. I haven't had a single problem. Only routine maintenance. It drives great and is fun to drive.

Gas mileage, drive quality. reliability. Did I say reliability already?

A little sluggish with the air conditioning turned on. More powerful air conditioner would be good. It doesn't downshift quick enough with the automatic.

Tight Handler
By zanellaii

2005 Mazda 3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle as an alternative to driving my 4x4 pick-up back and forth to work. I drove all the competition, none of which had the quality, price, power or handling of the Mazda 3s. I am most impressed with the handling of this car. It's a safety feature as much as a plus for having fun. The fit and finish is on par with some of the best cars on the market. The solidity of the body is the best in its class, period. I have never been in a small car that didn't feel like a small car until now. Everyone who rides in the vehicle, or drives it, comments on how quiet and solid it feels. The interior is also best in class. Only complaint, no electric trunk release on keyfob.

Handling, mileage, comfort, quality.

Electric remote trunk release on keyless entry keyfob.

Best Bang For Your Buck
By cah

2005 Mazda 3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I had a 2000 Protege. I thought I loved that car until the first time I sat in my new 3. The handling is that of a European sports car. I have received many compliments. Fit and finish is excellent. I have never been happier with a vehicle purchase.

Stereo, acceleration, turning radius.

Trunk release on key fob.