Used 2005 Mazda Mazda3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:

Take It From Me
By TRO

2005 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have been an auto detailer for years, and just started college in Oregon. I needed a reliable car with good gas mileage to drive from Washington. This car is everything and more. I have the 2.3 Mazda 3 Hatch S. On average, now this is average about 28 miles per gallon. On highway only I have averaged about 36. I know it's insane. Driving on the highway the noise is actually very quiet. This car has tons of room and very spacious. The manual transmission is very smooth along with the steering. Easy to use controls on the steering wheel. I would recommend this car to ANYONE. I have driven hundreds of other cars through my auto detailing, and nothing compares to a Mazda. Nothing.

Favorite Features

Bose stereo, moon roof, 2.3L engine, manual transmission, Interior design and finish. I love the center console it has two compartments, one is huge and I can fit everything in it. The interior lighting is great, especially on the gauges with the blue and red. Nice wheels. Very comfortable seats.

Suggested Improvements

More rear seat leg room. It's a hatchback so the seats could be pushed back two even three inches without giving up trunk space. I think all of the hatchbacks should come standard with Xenon headlights and Bose sound. Many do not come with either. Should offer some mazdaspeed options with the hatch.

After 4 SUVs I fell in love
By Kristen

2005 Mazda Mazda3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have previously owned 4 SUVs (2 Fords and 2 Jeeps), so I was more than a little hesitant to exchange my 4x4s for a compact sedan. That is until I drove the Mazda3. I drive 50+ miles to school and back 5 days a week, and this car makes the commute fun. I love on-ramps and passing. The car has so much zip. I love, love, love the fuel economy! I record my average for every tank, and it's always been around 35mpg (33-36). The driver's seat offers great visability-something that I was afraid of missing after driving SUVs. Regular oil changes, and you are good to go! I get complements on my car all of the time. I couldn't be happier with my Mazda! Civic beware!

Favorite Features

Radio and cruise controls on steering wheel, exterior styling, fuel ecconomy, powertrain, cup holders (6), glove compartment (huge!), highly adjustable driver's seat, front and rear side airbags

Suggested Improvements

Improve road noise on highway, higher quality factory break pads to prevent rotor noise and break dust excess, auto daytime running head lights, 5 speed auto transmission

My first car
By MikeS.

2005 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I got my Mazda3 hatchback about one month ago, and so far this car has been amazing. I have not yet tried it on the highway so I can't comment on the MPG there, however the MPG I am averaging in the city is about 19-20. This car is easy to wash, fun to drive, and has tons of get-up-and-go. I would have given it a 10.0 rating had it not been for the false advertising of the MPG city. There is a ton of room in the back, in fact just the other day I fit my entire drum set packed up in boxes in the back of this car.

Favorite Features

Huge glove box, red and blue lights on dash, good quality leather, nice rims and stock tires.

Suggested Improvements

Better MPG, tinted windows option, better sounding horn.

Awesome car
By me

2005 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is just a terrific car. Reliability has been very good except for shocks and battery been replaced at 24k (Puerto Rico roads are awful), otherwise excellent. Power is impressive for a 4 cyl engine, and ride comfort is acceptable despite having 17's on 50 series tires. Handling is awesome, it just sticks like glue. In the end, the best compact you can buy today

Favorite Features

Power, terrific stereo for price, handling, looks, dash and gauges, reliability, build quality, braking. Everything.

Suggested Improvements

ABS should be standard, if mazda 6 4-cyl has dual exhausts, why not the mazda3? Paddle shifters, fuel economy is really low for a 4 cyl engine

Great value
By Great from A to B

2005 Mazda Mazda3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the first car that I have owned and I bought it new in 2006. I loved this car for all seasons but winter. This car is horrible in the snow! The handling is great if the roads are not wet. The car is overly noisy going over puddles and water. I have no other complaints about this car besides driving it in snow/ice.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, I get an average of 34 mpg. A lot of trunk space, sporty looking.

Suggested Improvements

Keyless trunk entry, this is a must.