Used 2005 Mazda 3 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 183 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mazda 3 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Great value
By Great from A to B

2005 Mazda 3 Sedan i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the first car that I have owned and I bought it new in 2006. I loved this car for all seasons but winter. This car is horrible in the snow! The handling is great if the roads are not wet. The car is overly noisy going over puddles and water. I have no other complaints about this car besides driving it in snow/ice.

Gas mileage, I get an average of 34 mpg. A lot of trunk space, sporty looking.

Keyless trunk entry, this is a must.

Great Car/Great Value
By Tom

2005 Mazda 3 Sedan SP23 Special Edition 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the SP23 model with manual 5sp. Great fun to drive and has been 100% reliable. 31 MPG on the highway, going 80 MPH (yes, we can do that in Montana). Excellent room, particulary for tall drivers. Rear seat not bad. Seats provide good back and leg support. Relatively quiet until you hit around 70MPH and then you hear more road noise.

Power. Radio/CD controls on the steering wheel. Value for the money. Reliability.

The SP23 only comes in dark grey (other colors would have been nice). Oil changes with 2.3 engine a real pain considering there is no OTS spin-on filter. No remote trunk latch.

Luxury and Performance
By Luxury Feel

2005 Mazda 3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I've recently bought a used Mazda3s w/most of the options (leather, sunroof, abs w/side, spoiler, and 6 CD changer). For the price that I paid for it, I feel like driving a luxury vehicle. It handles great and has an appealing look. The leather feels so comfortable. I actually slept in my the car, learned it was more comfy than my previous cars. I average 26 city and 32 HW. I'm sure you can achieve similar results if you cruise as much as possible on highways and not stomp on the gas in city roads. The gas is not as good as the Civic, but everything else are lot better. I recommend test drive the 3 before considering other vehicles.

Leather; sunroof, and steering wheel controls.

Mazda should have a trunk release as part of the keyless entry.

Lots of room to PERFECT, not improve.
By ericrsmith

2005 Mazda 3 Sedan SP23 Special Edition 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I LOVE my car. This is my third Mazda. My wife refers to it as "the other woman." I could have bought more car when I bought this one, and that will only become more true in the future, but I can't picture myself without this car. There is not a car made for under 35,000 that I would even trade this car for. The car handles like a champion and is wicked fun to drive. It is a beauty and has drawn countless compliments. It has proven to be reliable and inexpensive to maintain. Several friends have compared it favorably or even directly to a BMW 3 series. All of that said, read the laundry list of suggested improvements below.

Comfort, styling, handling, performance (to a point... see below), fit and finish, reliability, value, Bose sound, leather heated seats, automatic headlights and windshield wipers, huge trunk, cavernous glovebox.

40-50 more horsepower (this car would be nigh on perfect with that one tweak), reasonably sized visors, less brake dust, fewer rattles in the doors, midrange adjustment on the Bose, replace stock crap Goodyear rubber with Goodyear Tripletreads or Bridgestone Potenzas, better elbow support or padding.

Great car
By walt

2005 Mazda 3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car. It handles well and has a lot of features. It could do better on fuel economy in the city. Also more leg room in the backseat. Other than that, it is a fun car to drive.

Sunroof, color (silver) clear lens covers.

Better gas mileage.