2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
Best in the bunch
By Richard Casserly on 09/07/05 17:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have enjoyed this car from the day I first drove it at the dealership as a test drive. My first Mazda was the Protégé 5 which was a practical and inexpensive spacious car. Mazda has not lost that theme with the 3 but has risen the bar in this category.

FUN! FUN! FUN!
By fotojournalist on 09/05/05 22:51 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

What an incredible vehicle! So sporty, so fun! Solar Yellow is THE only color to have. The metal flake in the paint is what makes the color pop. Comfortable and a great price. ZOOM! ZOOM!

Fabulous Car
By Gary on 09/05/05 21:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My Mazda 3 wagon is the coolest car I have ever owned. It is fabulous and I would highly recommend it. It drives like a sports car; it has ample room for passengers and gear. On a recent road trip I consistently got 33-35 mpg. (typically, 27 around town.) Yet is has plenty of power and cruises very comfortably while relaxing and listening to the CD.

Best ride under 20 k
By Titu on 08/30/05 19:52 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned it for 5 months now with 7500 miles on it. I am highly satisfied with it. It's more like a cheap Audi A3/A4 than a compact. There is attention to detail in every part of this car. This is the only compact car to have a personality. I am surprised to see people buying Jettas paying 5k more instead of the 3. I found the 3 to be better in all respects except the interior. Go for it.

Not Satisfied
By Tom on 08/21/05 12:10 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback SP23 Special Edition 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Seats are very uncomfortable on trips over 4 hours. Steering is too light, comes off center too readily and has too much oversteer. Switches are not easy to operate or intuitive. Rear cargo area has very limiting width. Dashboard displays are gimmicky. Engine, transmission and A/C are rather noisy. Owner's manual is lacking on important details but abounds with information on overly elaborate audio system. Fuel consumption is mediocre. Clutch engagement is not easy from a start, especially on hills. Gear selection is difficult. I have driven manual transmissions for 40 years, this is the worst. Sorry I bought this car and will dump it in 3-4 years. It is highly over rated.

Bang for the Buck - Knock on Wood
By Master D on 08/15/05 17:10 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback SP23 Special Edition 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Okay fellas ... It would be a wise investment for the safety of all to purchase a set of winter rims and tires as most of us above the 49th parallel understand that there are different compounds and characteristics of rubber that suit different temperatures and environments. The M3 has great curb appeal, well laid out interior - with excellent visibility ( the rear head rests can be removed easily and replaced as needed), excellent fuel mileage when driven decently, excellent handling and acceleration for highway passing. Overall one of the best improvements by a manufacturer in the economy/4cyl class - hope it holds true to my experiences so far ... knock on wood!

What a blast
By kmh030 on 08/10/05 19:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This thing is so much fun to drive. Get the 2.3 motor (not the 2.0). It is so much fun to drive everyday. I couldn't ask for more car at $18,600. It's well built, handles like a dream, quick off the line and you can fit a piano in the back. Big strong brakes and a great chassis offers a stiff yet surprisingly smooth ride. The automatic transmission could be a bit more smooth but it's not bad. It boots around the city and whips easily into any parking spot. On the down side the seats are not comfortable. The seat hurts after 1.5 hours and it gets worse. I'm going to buy an aftermarket seat. The cockpit ergonomics could be better too. But I don't care and you shouldn't either.

BEST BUY FOR YOUR MONEY
By ROBERT on 08/02/05 20:28 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Drives great, this 2.3 engine is fast with the 5 speed. Nice looking for a 5 door. Close ratio gears makes it easy to shift.

Mazda3 rules
By yoda on 08/02/05 15:51 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I want to say that I love this car. I bought mine with a special package. I see that I'm the only Mazda3 out there that has Injen Intake system in it and dual chrome exhaust pipes. I still love this machine no matter what. For the review, it handles very well. Far better than my old car. Boxy. I love the space it has in front for the driver and passenger. I love how they made the Mazda3 with the controls for the radio and CD player on the steering wheel with the cruise control as well. I also like that this Mazda3 has more than 2 cup holders. More storage space. The most comfortable seats ever.

Great commuter car, Good for tall people
By twozeroone on 07/29/05 13:37 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2005 Hatchback Automatic 2.3S. Great little car. Fun as can be to drive alone on long windy roads with lots of tight turns. Very good handling, similar to BMW. Built extremely well with many stock features. I am about 6'3" tall and had a tough time finding a car I was comfortable in which was good on gas. I drove the 5 speed and was a little tight due to the clutch, but the automatic has a perfect spot where the clutch would be that is empty and I can extend my legs all the way to the fire wall. Great car for tall people like me. The seats hold you in position good on fast turns.