2005 Mazda Mazda3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
1 Year plus--and lots to like
By L.A. JAFO on 11/28/06 21:42 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My wife drives this car around town, but I made sure we took it on some real road trips to make sure it was solid. Am I impressed...you bet! On a 455 mile trip from LA to the Salton Sea and back through Palm Springs in 114 degree heat with the A/C on max it still did 29.2 MPG. On a 700 mile trip to Northern California using highways 101 and 1 we did 33.2 MPG. Power is very good. Handling is solid; it responds like a BMW or an Acura and when you turn the wheel, you move RIGHT NOW, no slop or lag at all. Interior space is good, and even at 6'5 I have both head and leg room thanks to the telescoping steering wheel. Trunk space is very good for big suitcases (2 of them!) or lots of groceries.

Mazda 3, 5 door 2.3 liter
By Thom on 11/23/06 14:06 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 SP23 Special Edition 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We have owned for approximately 1 year and have had no trouble with it at all. We traded from a large SUV to this car and my wife loves it. Mileage is obviously much better. She loves handling and fun factor. SUV was larger and I thought safer, but in truth Montero SUV would have possibly rolled in emergency situation. This car handles like a slot car and I think would be safer under an unexpected situation and my wife could avoid a potential accident.

Great car, poor MPG
By Slick26 on 10/18/06 02:39 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

All things considered, I think this has so far been a great car. Build quality and reliability have been superb. As has handling and over-all general performance. My main concerns about this car have been fuel economy and room. Now I knew I was buying a compact car, so I can't complain too much about room. But just take note, if you have kids, especially small kids in car seats, this car gets extremely small in a hurry. Put two car seats in the back and you have no room for anything, and driver and front passenger become very uncomfortable. Now, where I am most disappointed is fuel economy. I cannot get better than 23 mpg hwy/20 city no matter how hard I try. And I drive very conservatively.

running great and fun to drive
By adam on 10/09/06 13:59 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Mazda in March 05 and now have 33K on it. I haven't had a single problem. Only routine maintenance. It drives great and is fun to drive.

Tight Handler
By zanellaii on 10/05/06 16:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle as an alternative to driving my 4x4 pick-up back and forth to work. I drove all the competition, none of which had the quality, price, power or handling of the Mazda 3s. I am most impressed with the handling of this car. It's a safety feature as much as a plus for having fun. The fit and finish is on par with some of the best cars on the market. The solidity of the body is the best in its class, period. I have never been in a small car that didn't feel like a small car until now. Everyone who rides in the vehicle, or drives it, comments on how quiet and solid it feels. The interior is also best in class. Only complaint, no electric trunk release on keyfob.

Zoomin' Fun
By ANPope on 09/25/06 10:54 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My last car was an Audi A4. When it was time for a new car I went with the Mazda3. It's fun to drive and responsive, with decent handling for this price range. The only handling problem is the tendency to spin the front tires when making a 90 degree turn from a stop onto wet roads. It affords good visibility and I never have a problem merging quickly into traffic. I get 30 to 31 MPG on the highway even with the larger engine and automatic transmission, although you can knock 2 MPG off that when running the AC.

Best Bang For Your Buck
By cah on 08/10/06 15:39 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I had a 2000 Protege. I thought I loved that car until the first time I sat in my new 3. The handling is that of a European sports car. I have received many compliments. Fit and finish is excellent. I have never been happier with a vehicle purchase.

Great Value for your money!
By Sp23Freak on 08/05/06 15:45 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 SP23 Special Edition 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

You cannot find a better value for your money. My Mazda3 SP23 is fully optioned, with the exception of a Nav system. For under $21K you get 4-50 bumper to bumper warranty, leather, heated seats, power everything, ABS, tire pressure warning system, auto headlights, automatic windshield wipers, 6-CD Bose system, front/rear airbags, Xenons, LED taillights, polished 17-inch rims, power moonroof. It's optioned like a Lexus for less than half the price. So far very reliable; unique styling - get more comments from passers-by on this car than I get for my medium quasar blue metallic '92 Corvette...go figure.

Cheap Fun Car
By Chris on 08/03/06 20:23 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This car is the most fun car for the money I have had. It is not the best car you can have for any given situation but it is likely the best car for the money. Handling is great, performance is decent, the car has nice features like xenon lights, 6 disc CD etc. I don't think this car would be half as much fun without the 5 speed which makes you feel like it is going faster than it is. The wagon gives you a little more cargo but it still is a tight squeeze to get your golf clubs in with the seats up. I could have gotten a more expensive car but chose the Mazda. There are better cars out there but looking only at the car, few are better for the price

Great Car
By gburns on 07/25/06 09:37 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car after comparing it to multiple other cars, and I could not be happier that I went with the Mazda3.