2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
Canadian Mazda
By oksana on 10/30/05 22:26 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback SP23 Special Edition 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Just an excellent small car! So fun to drive! Beats my old 316 (to my surprise). Zips around the city, good and steady on the highway, get better mileage than manual claims.

More fun than a Civic or Corolla
By gantw on 10/30/05 00:42 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Mazda3 after owning two Honda Civics and a Toyota Corolla. The Mazda feels like a race car in comparison: peppy 2.3L engine, strong 4-wheel disc brakes, quick steering, precise clutch/ shifter, and firm suspension/tight handling. I plan to drive my car in autocross races -- its handling is that good. On the flip side, my Mazda3's build quality is poor compared to Honda or Toyota standards. After just four months and 5,000 miles, my car has more rattles in the dash and doors than one of my Civics had after eight years and 110,000 miles! My car's fuel economy (2.3L engine/manual trans./moderate throttle) has been 25-27 mpg city (A/C on) to 30-31 mpg city (A/C off).

Great car
By Chuck on 10/27/05 19:50 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Needed a car for back & forth to work but wanted something a little different & fun to drive. Well my Mazda 3 was it. I love the front grill, 17" tires, sport tranny, & steering wheel controls for radio & cruise. The 2.3 engine really moves & the handling is great. Interior quality is much better then my '03 Jetta. Trunk space was a little small even with the hatchback, but my golf clubs fit so I'm happy!

SP23 is a Great Start
By Norman Fowler on 10/22/05 14:44 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback SP23 Special Edition 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my SP23 Mazda 3 Hatchback now for seven months. It was the most difficult new car I ever purchased because it is a limited edition model. With that said it was worth the effort and time. My Mazda dealer was great and worked very hard to secure this car. It is a very fun car to drive but could use more horsepower. The carpets are real low grade and that was a surprise. The Bose sound system is awesome and the standard features of this car are worth the price of the car. Best value for the dollar. Plenty of storage space and with the split rear seats you have plenty of options. Need to make available more choices of of exterior colors.

Overrated
By Eddie Money on 10/20/05 18:25 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in my Subaru WRX to save some money with lower payments, lower insurance and to get better mileage, plus the WRX required premium gas. I just wanted a nice commuter & I even bought an A/T car for the first time in 15 yrs. I like the styling and a lot of the accessories, but what really bugs me is all the loose things on the car. Lots of interior squeaks and there is a clunking in the back after only two weeks. I think the build quality is mediocre. The power sunroof is almost worthless because it makes such an annoying sound when driving down the road at 40-45, it goes away on the freeway.

It's in the details
By Unbreakable on 09/28/05 05:53 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

At first glance this car sets itself apart with bold styling. Wide fender flares, an aggressive nose and unique style make it very eye appealing. The real catch is in the details. From the hidden cup slots in the doors to the unique multi-colored dash lights to the leather wrapped steering wheel, the car just feels like a higher dollar car despite the modest price tag. Great bang for the buck!

cup of tea
By bl fong on 09/14/05 13:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Great handling, excellent brakes. Steering feel excellent -- you steer, it turns! Very good ride even with 50 series tires. No ABS brakes, excellent modulation. I got the auto transmission; spouse request. Very good from a stoplight. Seats and steering wheel infinitely adjustable and comfortable. Stereo 6 CD changer very nice. very little brake dust on wheels. Glove box huge! My golf clubs will fit in back. Rear seats tight -- exit/egress lacking. I would buy again!

cheap thrills
By Isenbergh on 09/14/05 13:05 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I was looking for a small wagon, but what sold me on this car was how much more fun it was to drive than its competitors (Subaru, Scion, Toyota). Steering, braking, throttle response and shifting remind me of a good sports car. I replaced the stock tires with Toyo TS-1 ultra performance ones and the handling got even better. Otherwise the car seems solid but unspectacular: engine is smooth, linear and quick, but no scorcher; ride is quite firm; seats are sturdy & supportive, but plain; fit, finish & ergonomic design are very good. Audio and AC good for economy class. Rear seats tight but serviceable. Cargo area adequate for a big dog. Highway mileage 35 at 65mph. Nice dash.

zoom zoom
By lhixson on 09/13/05 21:50 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback SP23 Special Edition 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Overall fun car to drive, you can feel the quality thats built into this vehicle. has a lot of options not offered by competitors of small wagons.

Very Pleased with 1st Mazda Top Notch
By Christian on 09/12/05 13:43 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Recently bought my 3 and I am very happy with it. I have put about 1800 miles on it. Handles great, decent brakes (like to squeak when backing out of driveway). Hatch is very roomy, I am in the process of moving and it has been able to carry everything so far. The fog lights are useless, not worth buying on the 4 door; come standard on 5 door. I love the styling, projector headlights, euro style tails. Visibility is excellent, back seat a little tight for taller people, good for average height. Can't wait for the speed edition coming next year; do I hear TURBO ALL WHEEL DRIVE? Look out econo cars....