Used 2005 Mazda 3 Consumer Reviews - 306 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mazda 3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Stay Away
By AngryMazxa

2005 Mazda 3 SP23 Special Edition 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased a 1 year old hatch with 24,000 miles, with 50,000 now, I have had to replace the engine and transmission linkage. I had an Explorer with less problems and that is saying something. Buyer beware of this one.

All in the details
By Ben MazdaSP

2005 Mazda 3 SP23 Special Edition 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I got my Mazda SP after spending months researching and test driving sport sedans from EVERY other manufacturer. I was very meticulous and demanding. I then knew exactly what I wanted: a charcoal Mazda3 S manual. It took me weeks to find and was floored when I did. Great car! Transmission is superior to all others that I drove. The interior is designed very well; you can tell a great deal of thought went into every detail on this car. This car feels as though it should be 2-3 times more expensive than it is. I don't ever feel that I have to drive somewhere, I GET to drive somewhere! I've had it for awhile and still love it.It's done great both in the hot summer and on snowy mountain passes.

Smooth transmission, engine power (Great engine behind it, I squealed the tires for weeks at first off every green light bc I wasn't used to the power), Bose stereo, leather seats, seat warmers, trunk/glove box space, stereo layout/head unit with LEDs, steering wheel position/adjustment

Only one aesthetic: make rear bumper shorter (I think it is on later models)

Great little car
By skyrkt

2005 Mazda 3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have the very stripped down and base 3 sedan, that means I don't have A/C or any options. Even without A/C and things like that this car is still amazing. No problems with the car since I bought it new. I love the manual transmission, and the build quality of this car. I love my 3 and my next car will be another Mazda.

Manual Transmission

A/C Standard?

Already Rusting???
By Nae

2005 Mazda 3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2005 Mazda the winter of 2004 love everything about the car, the feel of the car on the road, the suspension is tight, it has great get up and go for 2.0 and great gas mileage. It could use better interior lighting i.e. the window controls need more lighting and the my cigarette lighter light went out already? In 2007 I noticed my 2005 mazda 3i was beginning to rust around rear wheel wells and the undercarriage. I have taken my car into numerous Mazda dealerships for rust problem and have been told due to environmental factors they will not fix the corrosion? I highly doubt I will purchase another due to exterior quality it sad everything else is great about this little car.

Great gas mileage, great preformance, seems reliable.

Better lighting controls around window and power locks on the door panels.

No Go in the Snow
By RN17

2005 Mazda 3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I had this car for three years before trading it in for a WRX. There were a couple of reasons for this. First, the WRX is much faster. Now the speed 3 is probably just as fast, but it's only offered in a hatchback, which I just don't like. Second, driving in the snow just plain stinks! From a dead stop I could barely get half way through the intersection before the light would turn red again! Tires make a little bit of difference, but not enough to install confidence while driving in the snow.

Styling, Handling.

Make a turbo version of the sedan! Somehow make it an all season vehicle.