Used 2005 Mazda Mazda3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mazda Mazda3

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:

Teething problems ?
By Alan

2005 Mazda Mazda3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Sport badge should be dropped as handling is rather poor. Believe it can be attributed to the electro hydraulic power assisted steering. Just doesn't suit my driving style, really disappointed !(have now covered 14000 miles) Steering creeking and growning for second time despite mod. Road noise excessive and distracting. Wheels tend to track the slightest rutts in the road surface. Air con lacking. Radio reception poor. Accessories extortionately priced. Drivers seat beginning to lose support and fabric baggy dispite me only being of average weight.

Favorite Features

Styling and finish inside and out.

Suggested Improvements

Get Lotus to breath on the suspension as Vauxhall did. Roads in UK are poor and demanding at speed, this vehicle lacks a competent set up. Rear window wash wipe would be of great benifit. Build in some character, difficult I know !

2.3 Manual Trans Rebuilt at 11000 Miles
By golfdoc

2005 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the Mazda 3 after years of owning Toyota's & Honda's. I have never had any major mechanical problems with any of these vehicles. Was I surprised when after owning my 2004 Mazda 3 2.3, my manual transmission was stuck in second gear. Now after 16 months and 11,000 miles my 3 is at a dealership getting the transmission rebuilt. It's had 2 recalls and is also waiting for the glove box to be replaced at another dealership because it sticks. The only plus is Mazda paid for the tow and the dealer is paying for my rental car. I will NEVER buy another vehicle manufactured by FORD motor company. There is definitely truth in the saying you that a FORD will be (F)ound (O)n the (R)oad (D)ead.

What a LEMON!
By Ihatethiscar

2005 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My engine light keeps going on.The dealer fixed it three times and the engine light went off again. I think the car can't handle the cold. With 10 months & 4,000 miles, I should be ok. Car slides all over the road and won't stop on snow covered surface; mechanic blames 17 inch tires. Don't buy this lemon!

Favorite Features

Curtain airbags.

Suggested Improvements

Sell in warm climates only! Variable intermittent wipers. Courteous & knowledgeable service staff.

Think before you buy
By Not Happy

2005 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Car handles great and has some nice options that are included. Power is lacking and intermittent - not what I expected from a 2.3L engine. Posted mpg on the 2.3 wagon is a joke - I average 20mpg. A few issues and the Mazda dealers don't want to deal with it and Mazda Customer Care line is useless also.

Favorite Features

Handling. Controls. Space.

Suggested Improvements

Mpg is very poor. Power is very poor. Mazda customer service is very poor.

Cheap Fun Car
By Chris

2005 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This car is the most fun car for the money I have had. It is not the best car you can have for any given situation but it is likely the best car for the money. Handling is great, performance is decent, the car has nice features like xenon lights, 6 disc CD etc. I don't think this car would be half as much fun without the 5 speed which makes you feel like it is going faster than it is. The wagon gives you a little more cargo but it still is a tight squeeze to get your golf clubs in with the seats up. I could have gotten a more expensive car but chose the Mazda. There are better cars out there but looking only at the car, few are better for the price

Favorite Features

Suspension, xenon lights, well placed controls and nice feeling steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

As to the car it could only be improved by more power. The sad fact is this is the last Mazda I will buy. In my opinion Mazda dealerships are the worst dealerships I have ever dealt with. 2 Mazdas 2 dealers, same experience. Next time I will just pay the money and get a BMW or Acura.