2005 Mazda Mazda3 i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Quality plus Handling
By White Flash

2005 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I drive 1000k a week and finally I have a car with great handling, comfort and good mileage. Have averaged 29.0 (accurate) for the the last 20k. The handling makes you feel like a professional driver. Brakes are awsome, but be careful of those tailgating SUVs. Ergonomics are best of any car I have owned and love the red interior lighting. So far NO costs above tire rotation and oil change. Fit, finish and interior quality that of a much more expensive car. Mazda 3 just got a good and recommended rating from the Insurance Institute for frontal crash. Safety extras are the collapsable brake pedal (in accidents), side and curtain air bags. What more could you want?

Favorite Features

Handling, braking and seating position. Engine torque in hills and highway cruising. Center console and dash layout. Interior lighting and headlight intensity. Very user friendly.

Suggested Improvements

Headlights on timer that turn off after so many minutes. Doors that lock when car in motion.

I love Mazda's
By gary

2005 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I feel young again driving this fun little car, I just love the way it handles and looks.

Favorite Features

I love the leather seats, they are the most comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

make the pop up navigational system as an after market option

fun, fun, fun on the autobahn
By Rocky

2005 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We also own a fairly loaded 2.5 X Type Jaguar. The Jag. has been trouble free and extreemly nice on the road. However my 3 is the car I drive the most. I have 5 door that has everything except the nav. system. It has been trouble free, a lot of fun and constantly brings lots of good comments.

Favorite Features

performance

Suggested Improvements

30 more hp.

Most Fun You Can Have For Your Money
By Hu

2005 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is the finest car I've ever driven. The ride is a little on the sporty side, and the fuel economy is nothing to brag about (~20 mpg in town, 26 on the open road), but the performance is awesome! Acceleration, braking, cornering are all magnificent. I've never owned a true sports car, too cheap, closest I ever came was a VW Scirocco. This Mazda is far better than that Scirocco in design, convenience features, quality of materials in the cabin and PERFORMANCE!!!

Favorite Features

Performance. Acceleration, braking, cornering--all maaaaagnificent!

Suggested Improvements

I'd like to see daytime running lights and two features my 1995 Suburu Legacy had: hill holder and automatic light shutoff when the ignition is switched off.

More than your money's worth
By Jeff

2005 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

From the time I received the email reply from my dealer to this review, 1 month after driving it home, I've enjoyed every minute owning my Mazda3s! For well under $20,000 I bought a car that performs, looks and feels like a $25,000 luxury car! It's fast enough to satisfy my demanding driving style, it's contruction is solid to the point that I feel isolated from the outside on 90% of all roads and the upgradability of the car easily matches that of any Honda! The driving environment is encapsulating while nowhere near suffocating and my 5'8" frame feels right at home in the driver's seat! The only thing I regret is not putting down the money sooner!

Favorite Features

- Styling: exterior and interior, the car offers looks far more attractive than your ho-hum average japanese compact car! - Driving Environment: I've never felt uncomfortable in the driver's seat, finding a comfortable seat position is easy. - Aftermarket support: growing quickly! HID, engine, etc.

Suggested Improvements

- Paint: while all the colors are great, I find that the paint chips easier than I'd prefer.

NOT YOUR TYPICAL COMPACT SEDAN
By Oliman

2005 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This car got me all excited about owning a "compact" car. It's like having a BMW or a Mercedes in terms of look and feel. I have the Mazda3 s 4-door automatic, it came with 8 airbags, 17-inch wheels, power moonroof, and a decent 160 hp from its 2.3 liter variable valve timed engine. From the moment I test drove the car, i fell in love with it, nothing comes close to its style, handling and upscale look in the compact car world. this car is very pretty inside-out. It actually gets plenty of attention whenever I fill up, or when I am at a parking lot, people can't beleive it costs much less than it actually looks. Overall, this car competes with EUROS in style and value.

Favorite Features

The "command center" with its BMW- esque styling, interior quality and overall styling. It's very european not only inside, but outside. Don't miss the xenon headlights and fog lamps... they add an "expensive" appeal to the already expensive looking car.

Suggested Improvements

Stereo system and MP3 Player.

Superb car
By Larry

2005 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Just purchased this car a few days ago but it is clear what the pro's and cons are. Great Handling, very firm and responsive steering. Acceleration actually surprised me when I first jumped on it and the car does feel sporty (I am guessing maybe 0-60 in 8 seconds?) For the money you can touch the performance and great looks. The only drawback is the seats are hard, they dont hug you like a Subaru or a Honda Civics, they are more like folding metal chairs (with lumbar support) I will be looking for a way to increase the comfort of them ASAP. The uncomfortable seats are a price I pay for the fun of driving this car, I never had a car I looked forward to so much to driving everyday.

Favorite Features

The looks, 17 inch wheels, the interior quality is way above what you would expect for a $17,000 car. I love the responsvieness of the steering and the smoothness of the engine.

Suggested Improvements

Better seats. Move the cupholders so that tall cups dont get in the way of shiting to 2nd and 4th gears. Also, the stereo is good but if I want an aftermarket one I have no idea how they will fill the giant void that would be leftover from the large stereo Mazda used in this car.

Goodbye Focus, Hello Mazda
By Jon

2005 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I recently traded in my 2000 Ford Focus for a custom ordered Mazda 3. The difference is night & day. The 3 handles beautifully & the power is great. No problems merging on the freeway here in Los Angeles. The interior design & quality is what you would expect from a car costing twice as much. I especially love the blue backlight for the instrument cluster. Overall, this car turns heads & gives a satisfying feeling even when parked. Highly recommed it!

Favorite Features

Blue backlight on instrument cluster. Manually Tilting headlights (Xenon). Color (strato blue mica, gorgeous!). Interior build quality.

Suggested Improvements

A slightly higher seat would be my preferrence, but thats from coming out of a Focus with a chair for a drivers seat.

ZOOM-ZOOM-ZOOM
By SHamptonNY

2005 Mazda Mazda3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After owning two BMW's Its a pleasure to find a quality car at this price that doesnt sacrifice handling or safety. My hats off to Mazda.

Favorite Features

Power for engine size and fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Include mirror compass as standard equiptment.

Mzda3 "s" is GREAT!!!!!
By vinceB

2005 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I recently purchased this car in early November--a 5 speed manual, 2005 model w/ airbags/ABS/moonroof package. This car has very few faults. For the money, this is like driving a 'mini' Infiniti G35 (because we own one of them as well). I put in a nice alarm system, added rear tint, and upgraded the weak factory stereo system. Overall, Mazda 3 s .......I'm impressed!

Favorite Features

HANDLING!,TORQUE (for under $20,000), DESIGN!!, GOOD BRAKES, FUN TO DRIVE !!!!!!!

Suggested Improvements

Better factory stereo system, a bit more power (of course that would raise the price I'm sure), and first gear is almost useless.