125,000 miles and going strong
By michdude on
2005 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)
I bought my 2005 Mazda 3 as a used, certified car with 48,000 one owner miles on it. I had just started a new job which is 25 miles one way so I needed a reliable, fairly fuel efficient car that looked sharp, was fun to drive and could seat four adults when needed. I'm 6'3" tall so I also needed a car that could handle my lanky frame. I have to say my Mazda 3 has been a pleasure to drive over the past three years. It has also been reliable. The only mechanical failures I've had are the serpentine belt tension pulley and the drivers side front wheel bearing. I have replaced the brake rotors and pads and bought new tires (Continental ExtremeContact DWS. Overall I love my 3!!!!!!!
Favorite Features
Room for tall drivers, sporty, fun to drive, decent fuel mileage, reliable. Plenty of room in the hatch and is comfortable to drive on long trips. The interior has help up very well, no issues. The electric sunroof has been trouble free, operates smoothly and no leaks. The body has help up very well, no wind noise from doors/windows thus far.
Suggested Improvements
Since this is a 1st gen 2005 Mazda 3 it's not really worth going into suggested improvements. I will be replacing the plastic guard on the bottom of the engine that covers the oil filter as it's broken in a few spots. I'll be in the market for a new car in late 2012 and will take a serious look at the new 2012 Mazda 3 Hatchback.
By michdude
on 04/18/14 15:02 PM (PDT)

I thought I would follow-up on my original review. My 2005 Mazda 3 now has 175,000 miles and is still driven everyday to work. The drivers side wheel bearing went bad again so I had both front wheel bearings replaced. At around 150,000 miles I replaced the original shocks and struts with KYB aftermarket units. The body has started to rust in a few spots around the rear fenders and I think its worth getting those spots fixed. The ignition switch needs to be replaced as it thinks the key is inserted all the time which renders the wireless remote useless. The interior still looks good and shows very little wear. Overall I have been very happy with my 3 and when it comes time to retire this car I may very well be looking at a 2014 Mazda 3.