Used 2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:

Bang for the Buck - Knock on Wood
By Master D

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback SP23 Special Edition 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Okay fellas ... It would be a wise investment for the safety of all to purchase a set of winter rims and tires as most of us above the 49th parallel understand that there are different compounds and characteristics of rubber that suit different temperatures and environments. The M3 has great curb appeal, well laid out interior - with excellent visibility ( the rear head rests can be removed easily and replaced as needed), excellent fuel mileage when driven decently, excellent handling and acceleration for highway passing. Overall one of the best improvements by a manufacturer in the economy/4cyl class - hope it holds true to my experiences so far ... knock on wood!

Favorite Features

cockpit,exterior,rear hatch versatility,automated lights/wipers,smooth shifter,agility,dealership expertise

Suggested Improvements

improve to a lifetime warranty on all parts - including wear items! seriously might look at shedding a few pounds without compromising all the fantastic safety features.

What a blast
By kmh030

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This thing is so much fun to drive. Get the 2.3 motor (not the 2.0). It is so much fun to drive everyday. I couldn't ask for more car at $18,600. It's well built, handles like a dream, quick off the line and you can fit a piano in the back. Big strong brakes and a great chassis offers a stiff yet surprisingly smooth ride. The automatic transmission could be a bit more smooth but it's not bad. It boots around the city and whips easily into any parking spot. On the down side the seats are not comfortable. The seat hurts after 1.5 hours and it gets worse. I'm going to buy an aftermarket seat. The cockpit ergonomics could be better too. But I don't care and you shouldn't either.

Favorite Features

Great motor. GREAT chassis. Nice brakes. Sweet exterior styling. Lots of cargo room.

Suggested Improvements

Better seats and better ergonomics. I want to be able to rest my elbows on something when my hands are on the wheel. Can't do that.

BEST BUY FOR YOUR MONEY
By ROBERT

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Drives great, this 2.3 engine is fast with the 5 speed. Nice looking for a 5 door. Close ratio gears makes it easy to shift.

Favorite Features

Blue and red gauges look nice at night. The dash board has a nice design.

Suggested Improvements

Seats are too firm. Seats are cloth, and seem to attract lint particles. I will get seats leathered in near future.

Mazda3 rules
By yoda

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I want to say that I love this car. I bought mine with a special package. I see that I'm the only Mazda3 out there that has Injen Intake system in it and dual chrome exhaust pipes. I still love this machine no matter what. For the review, it handles very well. Far better than my old car. Boxy. I love the space it has in front for the driver and passenger. I love how they made the Mazda3 with the controls for the radio and CD player on the steering wheel with the cruise control as well. I also like that this Mazda3 has more than 2 cup holders. More storage space. The most comfortable seats ever.

Favorite Features

6 CD changer, controls on the steering wheel, more than 2 cup holders, more storage space, comfortable seats, the sound of my car. Last but not least the moon roof.

Great commuter car, Good for tall people
By twozeroone

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2005 Hatchback Automatic 2.3S. Great little car. Fun as can be to drive alone on long windy roads with lots of tight turns. Very good handling, similar to BMW. Built extremely well with many stock features. I am about 6'3" tall and had a tough time finding a car I was comfortable in which was good on gas. I drove the 5 speed and was a little tight due to the clutch, but the automatic has a perfect spot where the clutch would be that is empty and I can extend my legs all the way to the fire wall. Great car for tall people like me. The seats hold you in position good on fast turns.

Favorite Features

The handling and suspension. I like the interior design. The headlights have great range even with out the HID model lights. Did I mention the handling? I am a car enthusiast and this car is GREAT to throw around on a 65 MPH exit off the highway.

Suggested Improvements

T O R Q U E ! Please give this car more low end torque. The 2006 model is coming with a 5 speed automatic transmission which will help with the gearing ratios and will provide more pickup. But low end torque is lacking severely. However, If you use the tip-tronic transmission on the auto it helps quite a bit.