2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
BMW's handling, unmatched in its class!!
By Euro Auto Lover on 03/28/05 00:14 AM (PST)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I used to lease a BMW 328i. I've spend 3 months looking for my next car to purchase. Gee, I no longer need the European cars since I found that Mazda 3 and 6 closely match the European handling!!!! Not the Matrix, not the Civic, not the Scion, this Mazda3 tops my driving test scores in styling, handling, power and price. The steering is top-notch, it is even better than my previous heavier 328i. The handling is just as good as the BMWs. I don't put my food on the brake going around corners, I even accelerate out of corners in the 3!!! Cars disappear in the rear-view mirror!!! Braking is top-notch, no fading whatsoever during hard braking!!!! It is a MUSH-HAVE fun-to-drive machine!

ZOOM ZOOM
By Jason baltimore on 03/26/05 18:53 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I was in the market For a new car i test drove a couple Then the Three Came along WOW i was very impressed the The ride resembles that of a BMW! Handles Very NICE Everything Is layed out were it should be my Mazda 3s is everything I wwas lookingfor in a car Thanks Mazda J

Zoom-zoom... for under 20K!
By L. Wilson on 03/24/05 11:53 AM (PST)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My beloved Honda Prelude was on it's last legs. In a search for a new vehicle I discovered it's next to impossible to get away from the boring design, cheap construction, and gutless performance of new vehicles out today. Fortunately, I came across the Mazda 3. It handles better than many cars I’ve driven and the 2.3L engine is a nice bonus for someone who likes a little get-up-and-go. The brakes are good, however we also own an RX8 that has the best brakes I’ve ever tested. I love the styling of the hatchback and the interior is comfotrable. Fuel economy is great as well, considering our RX8 gets 16mpg!! For the money the 3 is a great value.

Best Hatchback ever
By x2choctaw on 03/22/05 22:56 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I love driving my new Mazda 3. It has so much more power than my recent car and it handles so well in the corners. There is nothing that I can find wrong with this car.

Style but serious flaws
By rconn2 on 03/11/05 22:52 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback SP23 Special Edition 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought the 2005 Special Edition Mazda3, with SP2 Security Package, Moonroof and Navigation. I have decidedly mixed feelings; am actually considering selling (and have had less than 2 weeks). Why? Despite researching and reading all I could, you don't really know until you buy. 1. There are many posts on the internet saying this car is awful in the snow... the worst they've driven in 40 years... an embarrassment. Some say it's the tires, some the wheels and tires. Who knows. 2. Fuel economy is poor -- especially with the automatic transmission. Lots of complaints here too. Like in the low 20's. 3. Consumer Reports just dropped it. 4. Nav system is featureless.

My spirited M3
By jjr 3rd on 03/07/05 21:24 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The vehicle is razzy and fun to drive. I am a little over 60, but enjoy the crisp and positive handing, and response I get from the 160 h.p. engine. The interior as well as the exterior is easy to maintain. Basically although a sedan, it handles like a sports car. Sticks like glue on the interstates. I am often questioned; "What kind of car is that" from various age groups. The only negative I can think of is road noise, which may be do to tire selection. Have had no problems what so ever. Other than oil changes and a tire rotation, I've had no problems. I'd buy another one.

Best small car out there
By Vk on 02/25/05 21:34 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Forget boring Civics and Corollas. This car is stylish and handles beautifully. Platform is based on the new, yet to be released Ford Focus platform and is also used in the new Volvo S40. Very lively in the handling department and the interior is a refreshing change from the mundane plastic seen in other cars of the same class. Who says small family cars can't be stylish.

No Brainer-Buy this Car!
By Susan on 02/24/05 14:09 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Great car. Fun to drive and practical. If you can drive a 5 speed get it! Zoom-Zoom. Also, if you can spring for the leather interior it's a lot more comfortable than the cloth. I wanted the Lava Orange, but wound up with 5 speed, Black Mica, leather and moonroof. I'm too afraid of 6 airbags to go for the ABS package. The car turns heads and people here in Slower, Lower, Delaware ask "What is that car?' So far, so good, nice handling, good looks, regular gas, nice detail, good price. Even the basic package comes with lots of good stuff.

Mom's Zoom
By barnatcb on 02/19/05 11:07 AM (PST)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My son has a Protege and introduced me to the world of Mazda's. My first look at the Mazda 3 Hatchback had me hooked. Then I heard on the Today Show how they were ranked one of the safest cars and I knew that when it was time for me to buy, that's what I wanted. I was even more delighted when I got behind the wheel for the first time. I still grin from ear to ear while driving. I work with a lot young people, early 20's, and they're jealous of my ride. Don't worry, I let my son borrow it too. He's looking for a Mazda Speed down the road, so we're definitely a Mazda family now.

Mom's Zoom
By barnatcb on 02/19/05 11:07 AM (PST)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My son has a Protege and introduced me to the world of Mazdas. My first look at the Mazda 3 Hatchback had me hooked. Then I heard on the Today Show how they were ranked one of the safest cars and I knew that when it was time for me to buy, that's what I wanted. I was even more delighted when I got behind the wheel for the first time. I still grin from ear to ear while driving. I work with a lot young people in their early 20's, and they're jealous of my ride. Don't worry, I let my son borrow it too. He's looking for a Mazdaspeed down the road, so we're definitely a Mazda family now.