2005 Mazda 3 Consumer Review: 1 Year plus--and lots to like

2005 Mazda 3 - Consumer Review

s Sedan (2.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

1 Year plus--and lots to like
By L.A. JAFO on

2005 Mazda 3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My wife drives this car around town, but I made sure we took it on some real road trips to make sure it was solid. Am I impressed...you bet! On a 455 mile trip from LA to the Salton Sea and back through Palm Springs in 114 degree heat with the A/C on max it still did 29.2 MPG. On a 700 mile trip to Northern California using highways 101 and 1 we did 33.2 MPG. Power is very good. Handling is solid; it responds like a BMW or an Acura and when you turn the wheel, you move RIGHT NOW, no slop or lag at all. Interior space is good, and even at 6'5 I have both head and leg room thanks to the telescoping steering wheel. Trunk space is very good for big suitcases (2 of them!) or lots of groceries.

Favorite Features

After 15,000 miles I can say engine power and smooth acceleration are number one in my book. Layout of instrument gauges and brightness of display lights are easy on the eye yet commands attention, controls on steering wheel are first rate and easy to use.

Suggested Improvements

Car shifts a little roughly from 1st to 2nd gear when cold...or after just starting up in the morning. Dealer saying this is "no problem" is not totally reassuring...but we will see how the auto transmission works out in the long haul.