Used 2005 Mazda 3 SP23 Special Edition Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Mazda 3 SP23 Manual
By landj6

2005 Mazda 3 Sedan SP23 Special Edition 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car in 2005 new with 33 miles on it. I love my car!! Today it has 191,000 and not a single problem with it! I have kept up with the oil changes and have done some work, changed belts, plugs, ect. just as a preventative. I put gas in it, change the oil, change the tires and drive the crap out of it! I'm not easy on cars, as you can tell from the 191,000 miles on it in 6 years! I recently have been thinking about trading it in for an SUV, but just can't part with my awesome car yet!

heated leather seats, bose system, the power for a 4 cyl. gas mileage

windows whistle just a little when you go faster than 95 mph... haha!

All in the details
By Ben MazdaSP

2005 Mazda 3 Sedan SP23 Special Edition 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I got my Mazda SP after spending months researching and test driving sport sedans from EVERY other manufacturer. I was very meticulous and demanding. I then knew exactly what I wanted: a charcoal Mazda3 S manual. It took me weeks to find and was floored when I did. Great car! Transmission is superior to all others that I drove. The interior is designed very well; you can tell a great deal of thought went into every detail on this car. This car feels as though it should be 2-3 times more expensive than it is. I don't ever feel that I have to drive somewhere, I GET to drive somewhere! I've had it for awhile and still love it.It's done great both in the hot summer and on snowy mountain passes.

Smooth transmission, engine power (Great engine behind it, I squealed the tires for weeks at first off every green light bc I wasn't used to the power), Bose stereo, leather seats, seat warmers, trunk/glove box space, stereo layout/head unit with LEDs, steering wheel position/adjustment

Only one aesthetic: make rear bumper shorter (I think it is on later models)

my wifes other man
By KING OF NY IN VEGAS

2005 Mazda 3 Sedan SP23 Special Edition 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I purchased our metalic red 3 new .Granted her commute to work is 7 miles round trip , this car has performed flawlessly.no squeaks or weird noises at all.All I've ever done to it was change the oil and rotate the tires .Thats's all it ever needed. Maintenance is very inexpensive. It's a little cramped for me at 6'4 305 lbs butit drives very well . It's quiet but very sporty. The handling in off the chain!The tranny has been reliable but needs another gear,the engine needs another 20-30 hp. MY wife picked it over the coblt because of it's cheezy interior,it has better styling cues than the civic which to her is a me too car.I highly recommend this car to anyone, its that good.

Reliability,styling,handling,features and resale.

Mazda has already addressed those items in their new mazda 3 with the 5 spd auto and a few extra ponies. and hopefully they widend the space between the front seats or trim the center console down to keep knee and other leg room provisions comfy in future models.

I Love This 3
By LA DRIVER

2005 Mazda 3 Sedan SP23 Special Edition 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I bought this car back in 2005 when her Honda went out. Almost 3 years later I still love it. At about 300 miles per tank city/hwy driving can't complain. I just love the performance for such a compact car, leather seats, GPS, 6 disc CD, 5 speed man., when sitting inside it reminds me of my BMW at half the cost. Great power and lots of trunk space esp when rear seats are folded down. The 3 is truly a car in it's own, with aftermarket performance tires it handles as well as my BMW and is great to drive through corners and the straights. Over all this is a great car to drive in the city as well as the hwy. avg. of about 32 mpg hwy we make it from LA to San Jose in 1 tank. LOVE my 3.

Handling, leather seats, sun roof, GPS, audio, looks, lines, features, HID lights

6 gear for better mileage on hwys. other from that, perfect car in my eyes.

Great Car/Great Value
By Tom

2005 Mazda 3 Sedan SP23 Special Edition 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the SP23 model with manual 5sp. Great fun to drive and has been 100% reliable. 31 MPG on the highway, going 80 MPH (yes, we can do that in Montana). Excellent room, particulary for tall drivers. Rear seat not bad. Seats provide good back and leg support. Relatively quiet until you hit around 70MPH and then you hear more road noise.

Power. Radio/CD controls on the steering wheel. Value for the money. Reliability.

The SP23 only comes in dark grey (other colors would have been nice). Oil changes with 2.3 engine a real pain considering there is no OTS spin-on filter. No remote trunk latch.