Used 2005 Mazda 3 i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Tough Car to Like
By John Taylor

2005 Mazda 3 Sedan i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am a commuter but also a father with 2 smaller children and a wife. Therefore, I needed something reliable that would handle the challenges of our lives. With all the hoopla about this car, I expected to get almost 200,000 miles or 12 years of this vehicle, which I had purchased used at 30,000 miles for $12,000 almost 7 years ago (2008). While the first four years were non eventful, the following three were very painful. Specifically, the car would unexplainably turn off or, more commonly, just not start. I changed the battery, everything. I brought it to my mechanic; nothing. I needed reliability and this car was unreliable. I thought for a while that maybe this was a one shot experience. Perhaps. However, I found on the web similar stories of Mazda 3s from 2005 which suddenly don't start. This makes me wonder. At 143,000, I chose to give up. I am selling the car via a trade in to a dealer and getting a 2005 Prius with 112K miles.

You'll never want to buy another car!
By hmarie23

2005 Mazda 3 Sedan i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I owned my 2005 Mazda3i for just over a year before it was totaled. I'm still mourning the loss of this car & with any luck will purchase another soon. I bought my mazdda3 used with 100,000 miles and drove it for 22,000 more. This car is extremely reliable, never had any problems with it (which is great since it had been in 2 minor accidents before I got it). Gas mileage was excellent -mostly highway driving usually got around 30 mpg which is great for a college student's budget! My only complaint (aside from the lack of any real space needed when I was moving) was that around 110,000 miles it began to shake when it idled, before that it was smooth sailing. You can't go wrong buying this car

My mazda3 was a shiftable automatic, which is a fun feature I havn't seen in other cars that I looked at.

This car could use more back seat leg room, or more room in general. Definitely not a car for anyone who has frequent backseat riders.

Not Bad!
By flow_motion

2005 Mazda 3 Sedan i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a used automatic Mazda 3 Sedan January of last year. It had about 103,000 KM. One year later, it's now at 123,000 KMS +... This car rocks! It's been very reliable, has caused me no trouble. The dealership have been extremely curtious, and polite. I'll definitely buy another Mazda! I agree with one person though, the accessories at the dealership are way over priced. Nonetheless, this car definitely packs in the "zoom zoom". The auto transmission should've been 5 speed rather then 4. Gas mileage in the city isn't good for a 4 cyl engine. Those are the negs... The pos outweigh the negs 10 fold! Love the red interior lights!

Red Interior Lights Reliable Price

they need 5 speed automatic engine Better gas mileage better/more powerful car lighter Include a GPS Windsheild wipers (the first setting is way too slow, and the 2nd is way too fast. They need a middle of those 2 options!)

Has everything
By dodo

2005 Mazda 3 Sedan i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this car new. Has everything one could want: -Great gas mileage avg 32mpg -Room for the family -Slick -and I mean slick!- manual shifter -Fun to drive -Reliable (have not had a single problem)

Manual shifter - super intuitive, it guides you into the next gear and fun to drive

Work on reducing roadnoise

A Sad Day
By Mike C

2005 Mazda 3 Sedan i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd review here for this car and my last. I just traded it in last week with 184,000 miles. I couldn't have asked any more of this gem. Here is my list of maintenance and repairs over the last 4 years: 47 oil changes, 2 sets of spark plugs, 4 air filters, 2 sets of rubber, 1 radiator flush, 1 transmission flush, 1 set of brake pads, 2 head lights bulbs and 1 battery. All but the transmission flush was done myself. Unexpected repairs: Zero

The suspension and steering makes you feel like you're driving a 3 series Bimmer. Great stereo (for a Japanese car), cool looking interior, flawless engine/trans, good mileage,

The carpet is cheap and wore out completely in a couple places. Satellite radio kit was a way too expensive option (I bought my own and installed myself). The rear wheels started to toe outward wearing out the rear tires prematurely and there is NO camber adjustment to perform and alignment.