2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
Stay Away
By AngryMazxa on 11/23/09 07:18 AM (PST)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback SP23 Special Edition 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased a 1 year old hatch with 24,000 miles, with 50,000 now, I have had to replace the engine and transmission linkage. I had an Explorer with less problems and that is saying something. Buyer beware of this one.

Mazda 3, 5 door 2.3 liter
By Thom on 11/23/06 14:06 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback SP23 Special Edition 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We have owned for approximately 1 year and have had no trouble with it at all. We traded from a large SUV to this car and my wife loves it. Mileage is obviously much better. She loves handling and fun factor. SUV was larger and I thought safer, but in truth Montero SUV would have possibly rolled in emergency situation. This car handles like a slot car and I think would be safer under an unexpected situation and my wife could avoid a potential accident.

Great Value for your money!
By Sp23Freak on 08/05/06 15:45 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback SP23 Special Edition 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

You cannot find a better value for your money. My Mazda3 SP23 is fully optioned, with the exception of a Nav system. For under $21K you get 4-50 bumper to bumper warranty, leather, heated seats, power everything, ABS, tire pressure warning system, auto headlights, automatic windshield wipers, 6-CD Bose system, front/rear airbags, Xenons, LED taillights, polished 17-inch rims, power moonroof. It's optioned like a Lexus for less than half the price. So far very reliable; unique styling - get more comments from passers-by on this car than I get for my medium quasar blue metallic '92 Corvette...go figure.

Love it, love it, love it!
By Bill on 03/08/06 04:22 AM (PST)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback SP23 Special Edition 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

In 25 years of car owning, this is by far the most fun car I have ever owned. After nearly two years of ownership, I still cannot believe I paid well less than $20k for a car that drives like a sports car. Acceleration is great, it's comfortable and quiet on my daily 45-minute combined city and highway commute (on which I average 29 MPG). I would buy this car over again in a minute. Previous cars: Two Accords, a Golf, and Rabbit.

Canadian Mazda
By oksana on 10/30/05 22:26 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback SP23 Special Edition 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Just an excellent small car! So fun to drive! Beats my old 316 (to my surprise). Zips around the city, good and steady on the highway, get better mileage than manual claims.

SP23 is a Great Start
By Norman Fowler on 10/22/05 14:44 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback SP23 Special Edition 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my SP23 Mazda 3 Hatchback now for seven months. It was the most difficult new car I ever purchased because it is a limited edition model. With that said it was worth the effort and time. My Mazda dealer was great and worked very hard to secure this car. It is a very fun car to drive but could use more horsepower. The carpets are real low grade and that was a surprise. The Bose sound system is awesome and the standard features of this car are worth the price of the car. Best value for the dollar. Plenty of storage space and with the split rear seats you have plenty of options. Need to make available more choices of of exterior colors.

zoom zoom
By lhixson on 09/13/05 21:50 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback SP23 Special Edition 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Overall fun car to drive, you can feel the quality thats built into this vehicle. has a lot of options not offered by competitors of small wagons.

Not Satisfied
By Tom on 08/21/05 12:10 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback SP23 Special Edition 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Seats are very uncomfortable on trips over 4 hours. Steering is too light, comes off center too readily and has too much oversteer. Switches are not easy to operate or intuitive. Rear cargo area has very limiting width. Dashboard displays are gimmicky. Engine, transmission and A/C are rather noisy. Owner's manual is lacking on important details but abounds with information on overly elaborate audio system. Fuel consumption is mediocre. Clutch engagement is not easy from a start, especially on hills. Gear selection is difficult. I have driven manual transmissions for 40 years, this is the worst. Sorry I bought this car and will dump it in 3-4 years. It is highly over rated.

Bang for the Buck - Knock on Wood
By Master D on 08/15/05 17:10 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback SP23 Special Edition 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Okay fellas ... It would be a wise investment for the safety of all to purchase a set of winter rims and tires as most of us above the 49th parallel understand that there are different compounds and characteristics of rubber that suit different temperatures and environments. The M3 has great curb appeal, well laid out interior - with excellent visibility ( the rear head rests can be removed easily and replaced as needed), excellent fuel mileage when driven decently, excellent handling and acceleration for highway passing. Overall one of the best improvements by a manufacturer in the economy/4cyl class - hope it holds true to my experiences so far ... knock on wood!

Zoom----Zoom
By Mosquito on 05/18/05 23:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback SP23 Special Edition 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

It is a great car. This is my first Mazda, I have owned 2 Subaru's prior. For the money I couldn't go wrong. It has all the bells and whistles of most major luxury car makers at a fraction of the price. The design, both interior and exterior are well thought and beautiful. I get people asking me all the time what kind of car is that! It catches people's eyes for sure. After I tinted the window's it took on a totaly different look. I would love to see Mazda put the 6 cyc. in the 3. It would make it even better!! It is quick now, but with the 6 cyc. WOW!