2005 Mazda Mazda3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
Mazda 3 SP23 Manual
By landj6 on 09/15/11 14:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 SP23 Special Edition 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car in 2005 new with 33 miles on it. I love my car!! Today it has 191,000 and not a single problem with it! I have kept up with the oil changes and have done some work, changed belts, plugs, ect. just as a preventative. I put gas in it, change the oil, change the tires and drive the crap out of it! I'm not easy on cars, as you can tell from the 191,000 miles on it in 6 years! I recently have been thinking about trading it in for an SUV, but just can't part with my awesome car yet!

All in the details
By Ben MazdaSP on 11/18/09 14:33 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 SP23 Special Edition 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I got my Mazda SP after spending months researching and test driving sport sedans from EVERY other manufacturer. I was very meticulous and demanding. I then knew exactly what I wanted: a charcoal Mazda3 S manual. It took me weeks to find and was floored when I did. Great car! Transmission is superior to all others that I drove. The interior is designed very well; you can tell a great deal of thought went into every detail on this car. This car feels as though it should be 2-3 times more expensive than it is. I don't ever feel that I have to drive somewhere, I GET to drive somewhere! I've had it for awhile and still love it.It's done great both in the hot summer and on snowy mountain passes.

my wifes other man
By KING OF NY IN VEGAS on 02/11/09 00:16 AM (PST)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 SP23 Special Edition 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I purchased our metalic red 3 new .Granted her commute to work is 7 miles round trip , this car has performed flawlessly.no squeaks or weird noises at all.All I've ever done to it was change the oil and rotate the tires .Thats's all it ever needed. Maintenance is very inexpensive. It's a little cramped for me at 6'4 305 lbs butit drives very well . It's quiet but very sporty. The handling in off the chain!The tranny has been reliable but needs another gear,the engine needs another 20-30 hp. MY wife picked it over the coblt because of it's cheezy interior,it has better styling cues than the civic which to her is a me too car.I highly recommend this car to anyone, its that good.

I Love This 3
By LA DRIVER on 06/12/08 12:58 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 SP23 Special Edition 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I bought this car back in 2005 when her Honda went out. Almost 3 years later I still love it. At about 300 miles per tank city/hwy driving can't complain. I just love the performance for such a compact car, leather seats, GPS, 6 disc CD, 5 speed man., when sitting inside it reminds me of my BMW at half the cost. Great power and lots of trunk space esp when rear seats are folded down. The 3 is truly a car in it's own, with aftermarket performance tires it handles as well as my BMW and is great to drive through corners and the straights. Over all this is a great car to drive in the city as well as the hwy. avg. of about 32 mpg hwy we make it from LA to San Jose in 1 tank. LOVE my 3.

Great Car/Great Value
By Tom on 02/03/08 09:54 AM (PST)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 SP23 Special Edition 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the SP23 model with manual 5sp. Great fun to drive and has been 100% reliable. 31 MPG on the highway, going 80 MPH (yes, we can do that in Montana). Excellent room, particulary for tall drivers. Rear seat not bad. Seats provide good back and leg support. Relatively quiet until you hit around 70MPH and then you hear more road noise.

Lots of room to PERFECT, not improve.
By ericrsmith on 06/28/07 14:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 SP23 Special Edition 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I LOVE my car. This is my third Mazda. My wife refers to it as "the other woman." I could have bought more car when I bought this one, and that will only become more true in the future, but I can't picture myself without this car. There is not a car made for under 35,000 that I would even trade this car for. The car handles like a champion and is wicked fun to drive. It is a beauty and has drawn countless compliments. It has proven to be reliable and inexpensive to maintain. Several friends have compared it favorably or even directly to a BMW 3 series. All of that said, read the laundry list of suggested improvements below.

ZOOM-ZOOM
By JUICE88 on 06/07/06 12:33 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 SP23 Special Edition 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned the car for ten months, so far a pleasant experience. Great value for the money. Definitely a set of snow tires in the winter solves any traction problems.This car is fun to drive.

Mazda Sp 2.3
By culinarykid on 09/21/05 00:51 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 SP23 Special Edition 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Mazda3 SP 2.3. I have the navigation, Bose system, 18 inch rims and brown leather. I am telling you for the price of the car and the things you get, it's a awesome car. I can not tell you how many people roll the windows down on their car to tell me how sharp my car is. The color is great too. The color on the SP you can not get on any other Mazda car. That's what also makes it special. If I had to tell anyone who was looking into a new car I would totally tell them to look at the 3.

Love our SP 2.3 Sedan
By pats1 on 08/16/05 23:34 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 SP23 Special Edition 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car 5 weeks ago and have 2500+ miles on it already - lots of highway driving. What a great car!! Love the carbon gray mica with the black leather (don't see any like it) and this one is loaded with most everything except NAV. Last tank was 29.2 MPG. Very fun to drive - handles like a dream. Acceleration was a pleasant surprise. Added another SP 2.3 badge to the trunk lid - makes it look that much better. Bose is awesome. The rain-sensing wipers work great. The car rides and handles much better than the Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic (yuk) we test drove.

Zoom Zoom Zoom!!!
By Napster on 07/16/05 23:01 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 SP23 Special Edition 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Traded in my Protege5 for the Mazda3 Special Edition. What a find! Excellent handling and an interior that belongs on cars costing twice this amount. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Find a dealer with a Special Edition and make an offer.. Then Zoom, Zoom, Zoom!!!