2005 Mazda Mazda3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
Mazda3 2.3L Engine Failure
By bmpskier on 07/05/12 13:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Heads up to all owners with Mazda 2.3L engines. I bought a 2005 Mazda3 with 110K km on the engine. It was in excellent condition inside and out having been maintained regularly per the Mazda recommendations. Less than 2500 km after I bought it it suddenly dropped 3L of oil in about 1500km. I had to spend 7K on a new engine having. There was no evidence of a leak or that it was burning oil. It just disappeared. I spoke to the service dept at the dealership and they told me that the 2004-2007 2.3L is prone to this problem and short of replacing the engine there is no fix other than to put in a heavier oil to slow consumption.

Good Value - All Around Car
By davidej123 on 05/09/12 09:05 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I recently picked up a 2005 Mazda 3s, with the 5spd, as a grocery-getter / everyday workhorse. I wanted something versatile, reliable, and cheap to maintain, with above average city mpg. However, I also love driving, so I wanted to make sure it was still fun and very much a "driver's car". The 3s has been good-to-excellent on all counts. The shifter is superb. Somedays, I actually like it better than the shifter on my M5. The handling is precise, like a go-cart. The brakes are good. In combined driving, I average about 28-30mpg without fail. Typical trip to the pump is 11gals for 330mi. Decent - but if fuel economy is your absolute top priority, buy a Prius because it will crush this.

125,000 miles and going strong
By michdude on 01/08/12 15:24 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2005 Mazda 3 as a used, certified car with 48,000 one owner miles on it. I had just started a new job which is 25 miles one way so I needed a reliable, fairly fuel efficient car that looked sharp, was fun to drive and could seat four adults when needed. I'm 6'3" tall so I also needed a car that could handle my lanky frame. I have to say my Mazda 3 has been a pleasure to drive over the past three years. It has also been reliable. The only mechanical failures I've had are the serpentine belt tension pulley and the drivers side front wheel bearing. I have replaced the brake rotors and pads and bought new tires (Continental ExtremeContact DWS. Overall I love my 3!!!!!!!

3 years of cross country driving
By ellenmagellen on 06/08/09 18:44 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Where should I begin? I think I've truly put my 2005 mazda3 hatchback to the test. I'm now 24 and I've put exactly 50,000 miles on my hatchie since 1-2006 packing up my life and somehow managing to get every box, bag and loose item into the back all 9 times; yes, I've lived a crazy past 3.5 years and yes I don't own any furniture hah and yes, this car is magical! I can't complain a second about my Mazda so far, have had no problems. I've kept up on my oil changes, got new tires last summer, and here I will now mention that I've put my hatchie through 3 brutal Michigan and Minnesota winters and the baby is still as good as new. I recommend the heck out of this car!

After the 1st one I did it again!
By oscart on 04/12/09 19:40 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

After we picked up my wifes mazda 3 2007 grand t. I had to have one too. I loved my nissan z but for the price this car is a sleeper in the USA. the 3 lets you feel the road and it likes to be pushed.

Great Car!
By bfong on 09/03/08 09:41 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Adequate power for 2.3 liter, regular gas a plus. I get 25 mpg 60/40 city - on long trips I get 31 mpg hwy. Front seats are very good once all the adjustments are made. Stock Goodyears are worn out at 33k miles. I'll replace them with Yokohamas s-drive. Excellent steering feel. Mazda3 handles on rails. Get abs brakes, great feel but not the ultimate stopping power. Audio and cruise control on steering wheel. I added a louder horn for better sound. Slight vibration with 4A tranny at idle-still shifts good. Air conditioner kicks out sometimes-a quick flip of the fan speed switch turns it back on. Remote alarm ONLY beeps on lockup. It's quiet when you unlock it. nice.

Find a better car for the money buy it!!
By Sam on 07/14/08 14:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Odometer just turned 61k. Has not been to the garage for anything. Stay below 70 MPH in the highway and you'll get 30+ MPG. Aside from the "cheapy" wiper blade used and easily worn seat upholstery, the car is still in perfect shape or showroom quality. It is fun to drive an a windy and twisty roads. It also goes 110 MPH+, just do it safely. I do my own maintenance and been using hi-grade synthetic oil and K&N air filter. If you can find a better car value than Mazda 3, buy it.. it will be hard to find one. PS, check your battery water periodically. Enjoy!

Uber wagon with a few quirks
By uber wagon on 06/14/08 19:42 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Great car. I love the hatch. I think that the sedan looks better but when you can put a fully assembled grill in the back it brings a smile to my face especially in an economy compact. Engine sound is buzzy, sound system is horrible and 4 speed transmission is is joke. At 80 MPH the engine revs at 3600 and this kills the fuel economy. I am used to a BMW 335i and Acura TL so my expectations are high.

Take It From Me
By TRO on 06/07/08 17:44 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have been an auto detailer for years, and just started college in Oregon. I needed a reliable car with good gas mileage to drive from Washington. This car is everything and more. I have the 2.3 Mazda 3 Hatch S. On average, now this is average about 28 miles per gallon. On highway only I have averaged about 36. I know it's insane. Driving on the highway the noise is actually very quiet. This car has tons of room and very spacious. The manual transmission is very smooth along with the steering. Easy to use controls on the steering wheel. I would recommend this car to ANYONE. I have driven hundreds of other cars through my auto detailing, and nothing compares to a Mazda. Nothing.

My first car
By MikeS. on 05/28/08 21:17 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I got my Mazda3 hatchback about one month ago, and so far this car has been amazing. I have not yet tried it on the highway so I can't comment on the MPG there, however the MPG I am averaging in the city is about 19-20. This car is easy to wash, fun to drive, and has tons of get-up-and-go. I would have given it a 10.0 rating had it not been for the false advertising of the MPG city. There is a ton of room in the back, in fact just the other day I fit my entire drum set packed up in boxes in the back of this car.