Used 2005 Mazda 3 Consumer Reviews - 306 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

Great car
By Lee

2005 Mazda 3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's been a pleasure owning this car, just wish it held its value better for trade in/ resale.

Over 300,000 miles still going
By Lori

2005 Mazda 3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Mazda 3, I have over 300,000 miles b on the engine still going.
2005 model 2.3

Tough Car to Like
By John Taylor

2005 Mazda 3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am a commuter but also a father with 2 smaller children and a wife. Therefore, I needed something reliable that would handle the challenges of our lives. With all the hoopla about this car, I expected to get almost 200,000 miles or 12 years of this vehicle, which I had purchased used at 30,000 miles for $12,000 almost 7 years ago (2008). While the first four years were non eventful, the following three were very painful. Specifically, the car would unexplainably turn off or, more commonly, just not start. I changed the battery, everything. I brought it to my mechanic; nothing. I needed reliability and this car was unreliable.

I thought for a while that maybe this was a one shot experience. Perhaps. However, I found on the web similar stories of Mazda 3s from 2005 which suddenly don't start. This makes me wonder. At 143,000, I chose to give up. I am selling the car via a trade in to a dealer and getting a 2005 Prius with 112K miles.

You'll never want to buy another car!
By hmarie23

2005 Mazda 3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I owned my 2005 Mazda3i for just over a year before it was totaled. I'm still mourning the loss of this car & with any luck will purchase another soon. I bought my mazdda3 used with 100,000 miles and drove it for 22,000 more. This car is extremely reliable, never had any problems with it (which is great since it had been in 2 minor accidents before I got it). Gas mileage was excellent -mostly highway driving usually got around 30 mpg which is great for a college student's budget! My only complaint (aside from the lack of any real space needed when I was moving) was that around 110,000 miles it began to shake when it idled, before that it was smooth sailing. You can't go wrong buying this car

My mazda3 was a shiftable automatic, which is a fun feature I havn't seen in other cars that I looked at.

This car could use more back seat leg room, or more room in general. Definitely not a car for anyone who has frequent backseat riders.

Mazda3 2.3L Engine Failure
By bmpskier

2005 Mazda 3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Heads up to all owners with Mazda 2.3L engines.

I bought a 2005 Mazda3 with 110K km on the engine. It was in excellent condition inside and out having been maintained regularly per the Mazda recommendations.

Less than 2500 km after I bought it it suddenly dropped 3L of oil in about 1500km. I had to spend 7K on a new engine having.
There was no evidence of a leak or that it was burning oil. It just disappeared.

I spoke to the service dept at the dealership and they told me that the 2004-2007 2.3L is prone to this problem and short of replacing the engine there is no fix other than to put in a heavier oil to slow consumption.

Engine problems notwithstanding, it looks sporty inside and out. It drives and handles excellent on dry and wet roads (I have yet to test winter driving though). Suspension is on the stiff side but this helps the car stick to the road.

Mazda could be more accountable with this particular engine and be honest and forthright with those people who have cars with this particular engine in it. Mazda ignoring the problem and not telling consumers that they need keep a close eye on oil levels in 2.3 litre engines is irresponsible and drags down the reputation they have built up over the years. They could also provide the same warrantee on factory rebuilt 2.3L engines that they provide on new cars. The 1 yr/20,000km they currently provide on the 2.3 engine proves they have a lack of confidence.