Used 2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:

2004 30,000 mile review
By longtermtester

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After owning this car for almost 2 years I have noticed a few things.. First of all when I got the car I assumed that over time the steering and suspension would lose some it's tightness and precision. This has not happened. The car handles like it did the day I purchased it. I'm still not sure how I paid $20G Canadian and got this level of handling. My own fear stops me in a fast turn. Not the car. Very smooth. Secondly, when I bought it I was worried about the reliability and craftsmanship of Mazda vehicles. So far, only the regular maintenance has been performed. So to wrap this up; 2 years, fun to drive, no problems. Great car!

Favorite Features

Handling. Decent power. Fuel economy is reasonable. Price; VALUE for money. Feels like a 30 thousand dollar car.

Suggested Improvements

AC a lil underpowered. M/T - hard time finding reverse on cold days?

Well it's been 16 months & 7000 miles
By john brown

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Well it's been 16 months and 7000 miles since I bought my Mazda 3s and the car is just as firm and tight as the day I drove it home for the first time, no rattles and vibrations (which I hate in a car). The steering and handling is just as superb, the brakes are just as good, the 5 speed manual (would never think of buying this car in automatic) is just as precise and sweet. I have even come to love the Goodyear RSA Eagles that everyone hate so much; excellent feedback to the driver from these tires, excellent cornering and braking, just go light at the start of a rain or they will spin. This is one awesome car that Mazda should be proud of making. Excellent driving machine.

Favorite Features

I love the high quality sunroof, the awesome stereo system, the HID headlights, the smoothness of the engine and gearbox, the interior, the huge glovebox -- lighted of course, the huge trunk, firm quality seats, and the angled emergency brake lever a la 1970's BMW's . I love the low insurance rates and 8 airbags.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see remote opening of the trunk included on the keyring opener. i would like to see a nicer carpeting . I would like to see Mazda offer a splashguard kit for the S model with the sports package.

All in one package with sensible fun!
By Renee

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's a great drive, sometimes a little to much fun. Very fast -- the Zoom Zoom is so true! The mileage is good; it gets 300 or so miles to the tank. With the price of gas it could be better. I drive mostly highway on a daily basis and was hit from behind by a car going about 65 miles an hour. All I could think of was my cars condition. When I got out and looked I was in shock to see almost no evidence that I was even hit. The other cars air bags were all deployed but none of mine were. This is a strong built vehicle . i got back in and drove away like nothing even happened. The only problem with this car is the air conditioner, defroster and heat. None of them seem to get going in a timely matter.

Favorite Features

The zoom zoom! The body style, I love the console and dash. The controls on the steering wheel and the dash board color at night. It's well built and has air bags.

Suggested Improvements

Fix that air conditioning! Mine will run for 45 minutes before it gets cool. This is my first car with air and it stinks in that department. I thought it was just mine until I heard other people complaining about it. It also takes a good ten minutes for the windows to defrost and the heat to work.

Zoom Zoom Dude!
By Mechanix2001

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was looking for an economical car with some kick. I was not interested in driving a Civic or Corolla. There reliable cars but so unoriginal; I like something different. My friend and cousin both have one and they rave about it constantly, so I had the chance to get a good test drive, and I agreed with them. From driving an old pick-up the gas mileage was a great difference. The best thing I noticed about it is the handling, I mean if you like driving, like I do, you'll enjoy whipping around the back roads with ease. The interior is very sporty and the seats grip you like a racing style seat. Anyways, GO have a test drive, for the money you won't be disappointed!

Favorite Features

I'm a mechanic and I can say that 99% of this car is great!

Suggested Improvements

If anything, the rear bumper to tire look could be refined; however, most people don't see it, unless you look for it. I just look at every detail of every car i work on.

BUY THIS CAR!
By Uptown

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I was in search of a car to replace my trusty Volvo for the past year. Hands down, this Mazda3 S 5-speed blows away the competition. I waited for the 2006 Civic remodel (horrible dash design) until I made my purchase. I found a 2004 S model for $12,000 and plan in driving it for 5-6 years selling it for $5-6K. That's about as inexpensive cost of ownership you can find for driving such a refined car. This car is designed like a Swiss Army Knife ... it's really a great value and in most cases worth full sticker. Test drove a Corolla S, 06 Civic, used 325i, Jetta, WRX, and Accord. Go out and test drive one, and you'll buy it.

Favorite Features

Steering wheel volume controls, dash design ... only BMW is better. 17" wheels, smoothness and firm suspension, quality of interior, 95% made in Japan, resale value, non-premium fuel.

Suggested Improvements

Black gauges with simple white numbers, like the i dash. Remote trunk release instead of panic button on the keyless entry.