Used 2004 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda Mazda3 - Consumer Reviews

s 2.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (246 reviews )

Zoom....Zoom....Zoom.....
By Darcy

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is a fun, safe car that really zips. Easy to drive and handle. Excellent gas mileage.

Favorite Features

Controls on steering wheel, Love it. Keeps my hands on the wheel while I can play my favorite tunes

Suggested Improvements

Raise the driver's seat.

White Mazda 3s 5 door
By qkalis

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my Mazda3 5 door after I got into a major highway accident. Forced into shopping for a new car in 3 days but luckily my wife already owned a 3 4 door. Very good car for the price and size. Excellent fit and finish, build quality and ergonomics. A bit snug for me in the drivers seat since I am 6'2", 210 but very good commuter and short distance car. Put over 9,000 miles on it and it is performing well with no complaints. Shows all the other manufacturers how to design and execute a top quality car instead of the junk they try to pass off on consumers. Well done, Mazda!

Favorite Features

Interior design is outstanding. 4 wheel discs,17" wheels, peppy engine, buttery smooth handling, clean and sporty exterior design, electroluminescent gauges and night time lighting, very composed and almost quiet at speed.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage in mixed driving is only 22- 25mpg, white exterior /black interior is hard to keep clean, side airbags should be standard, interior room (but it's a compact), maybe a bit more real chrome to spice up the interior, factory wiper blades are lackluster and should be changed immediately.

ZOOM ZOOM
By Mike72771

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I still walk backwards to look at my car in parking lots. This is by far the most fun to drive car Iíve owned in ten years. Bang for the buck is an understatement when it comes to the Mazda3. Nothing can touch it!

Favorite Features

The telescoping steering wheel slope of the hood, tail and head lights are all favorites. Ohh! And the cool blue glow off the dash and gages.

Suggested Improvements

Anything I could suggest has already been implemented in the 2006 model. I will be trading up especially if the rumored Mazda3speed is out summer 2006.

my zoom
By ohio mazda

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have not had any problems with this car. I currently have just about 25,000 miles on it. Fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Just love the way it drives and handles. Had a 2002 Mustang GT before this, and prefer the handling of the Mazda to the GT.

Suggested Improvements

A/C seems to be too small. Doesn't seem to cool like other cars I have had in the past.

Bang for the Buck!
By thebrakeman

2004 Mazda Mazda3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased used with about 24k miles. Titanium Gray, black leather, 5-speed, ABS/airbag package, 6 CD/moonroof package, TPMS/Xenon package. Previous car was '89 Ford Probe GT, which was a Mazda clone. I really miss the low rpm torque from the Probe's turbo (Mazdaspeed3 will be awesome!), but overall, I can't be happier. I could have purchased a new '05 Ford Focus ST (5-speed, same 2.3L Mazda motor) for about the same money, but the Focus interior and features STINK compared to the Mazda3. Also test drove several Dodge SRT-4's (TURBO!), but again, the interiors were not livable compared to the 3 (not to mention the race car open exhaust).

Favorite Features

Slick 5-speed a dream to operate. 5- door cargo/utility can't be matched in this class. Easily took lawn mower for service (get self-adhesive bumper protectors). Stock stereo is clear/powerful. Steering wheel controls and other features make this feel like it's not an economy car.

Suggested Improvements

The only addition I would add is a low-pressure turbo to help with low end torque. The 1-2 shift isn't quite as fun as it could be.