2004 Mazda Mazda3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
Great car, when everything works...
By perrito on 01/16/06 15:06 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I am overall quite pleased with my 2004 Mazda3 5 door with automatic. I would agree with others that the manual may be a safer choice; my automatic just died with only 13,000 miles on it - very unusual. And it stranded us between Colorado Springs and Denver. It handles nicely, is quiet (with replacement tires), and has a great, functional interior. I love the steering wheel controls; use them all the time. It's a fun car, but this automatic problem, and an early ignition fault, make me doubt the long-term reliability of the Mazda3.

Beware of Plastic Parts and Oil Filters!
By George Bennett on 01/11/06 11:30 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

After driving a Protege for 10 years and 250,000 miles, the 3 S seemed like a great car until I used a Jiffy Lube and cracked the poorly designed oil cartridge housing on the car. Mazda says tough luck, but has issued a service bulletin, and I believe reverted back to the cannister versus the cartridge oil filter. It is sad to say that such a nice car can be ruined by poor design - but in my case (and from what I hear) the case of several other Mazda 3 s owners, that you will have to pay $60.00 at the dealership to make sure that your engine does not suffer major damages. I believe the 2005 model also has this type of filter so be prepared!

After 17,900 Miles ...
By Virgin1 on 01/10/06 17:36 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I still love this car. Yes, it has a few flaws but at less than $20K it's a deal. As stated before me the car/tires leaves something to be desired in rain and even more so in snow and ice. Yokohamas may have been a better choice than the Goodyears. Get the ABS package! It's a lil' pricey but includes side and curtain air bags. Also, get the 6-CD changer even if you don't think you want it (as I did). I plan to install a 22mm rear anti-sway bar to reduce understeer. In spite of what others have said here, I have raced cars and any factory front driver understeers too much. I think 25-32 MPG is excellent for a car like this one ... any car really, and on regular 87 octane fuel too.

a different car
By Gary on 01/07/06 09:12 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had no problems with the car. The styling has been copied now and will be used partially in the design of the EVO 10. It is so much different than having a boring Ford.

Best compact around hands down
By Leo on 01/07/06 04:02 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

There is no competition for this car in the compact market. We are a two Mazda family and I enjoy driving this car as much as I enjoy driving our RX8. The handling is absolutely superb, the brakes are fantastic and the engine is very peppy for a 4 cylinder. We got a fairly loaded example (leather, auto, moonroof, 6 CD) and love it to death. Just did our first long haul, San Jose to LA, to Vegas, to San Jose and enjoyed it very much. The car is very comfortable and smooth, great long distance cruiser. Best part was we were moving at a good pace and still averaged 26 mpg for the trip.

Fun! Fun! Fun!
By KimH on 12/20/05 11:24 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought Mazda3 S hatchback! Smooth ride, punchy engine, (who needs a 6 cylinder), saved a lot of money. Soft leather. Handles very well. Quiet engine. I love driving my car, and being able to get all friends in. So far, so good!

Mazda 3s - 5-door hatch
By S. Savage on 12/16/05 23:41 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Great looking and driving car. 2.3 I-4 with variable valve timing is very versatile -- rev to 6000+ RPM on a beltway on-ramp or cruise in 5th gear at low speeds on level terrain. EPA estimate is 32 mpg highway. I have only achieved that rating once or twice (long distances at speeds under 60 mph). Rpm kills mpg. It needs a 6th gear. In 5th, it revs 3000 rpm at 70 mph and fuel mileage suffers (avg 28-29 mpg hwy). Otherwise, it is great fun to drive. It goes where you point it. 4-wheel disc brakes are outstanding. Oil is a pain to change, with an aero pan that needs to be removed for filter access and filters available only from Mazda. 17" 50 series Goodyear RS-As are NOT snow tires.

An Alfa for the US without the Heartache
By Molson on 11/25/05 10:06 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

1st, now have a company car, so the M3 is asleep during the week. It's so much fun that I decided to keep until end of lease (unless someone wants to buy). Super fine suspension tune (firm, not harsh, well dampened, great balance). Awesome feature content (tilt/tele S/W with audio controls just the beginning). Head-turning looks (doesn't look like an econocar at all, even though it's priced like one). Zippy 4-cylinder, though could use a bit more top-end. Still, more than just a grocery getter. Negatives: 2 recalls for airbag sensor, dealer dent in roof (dropped tool, apparently). Needs advanced traction controls(TCS, at least, if not ESP). Tires are junk (why Goodyear still has good rep is beyond me.

Zoom....Zoom....Zoom.....
By Darcy on 11/10/05 07:20 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is a fun, safe car that really zips. Easy to drive and handle. Excellent gas mileage.

Really Diggin it! My 3 Rocks!
By Mazda3Driver on 11/09/05 17:19 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Ok, 1st, bad stuff ... power steering is noisy, tires appear to wear quickly, doesn't get the gas mileage claimed, (28.5 hwy on recent trip), the a/c doesn't get super cold (tint the glass, fixed!), the seat material gives off tangles as it wears. But as far as everything else, I love it! I had a Pathfinder that got 14mpg, even at 28mpg is saving me tons of cash. It's peppy, handles great, looks good, quiet enough interior and with a new stereo, it's got good tunes too. The first owner had upgraded a few things, like 16" wheels and spoiler. The seat belt noise will drive you crazy though. Overall, I love it. May put a sunroof in, maybe aftermarket speed parts. All in all, it's great!