Used 2004 Mazda 3 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 401 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda 3 Sedan

View reviews for a specific 3 model:

The Lemon of the Year
By Tess

2004 Mazda 3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a new 2004 Mazda 3 in 2004. From day one the brakes squeal when reversing (5 new sets have been renewed with no end in site - apparent reason, wet); transmission went at 48,000; Radiator chip dysfunctional and caused engine to overhead (1st time mis-diagnosed) second time (chip replaced). Have been towed 3 times before car reached 50,000 miles. While at servicing (same dealership bought at), car has received 2 door bang marks, engine was not cleaned of antifreeze from overheating, and recently black marks all over headliner when car was receiving new radiator chip.

Look and handling of car.

Well, I have lots of suggestions but mine is a lemon and nothing I would add would be acceptable.

What a great little car!
By golfprof76

2004 Mazda 3 Sedan i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car just before a Georgia ice storm in Feb of 05, and I have to say that it is a great car on ice! I haven't had a single problem with the engine, electronics or any other mechanical aspects of the car. I have only done routine stuff on it, plus whipped on a new set of Cooper tires (opt for anything but Toyo Tires, they are horrible). Tiptronic shifting is fun especially when trying to pass, just pop it into 3rd and you're off. Should have gotten a manual. Trunk space is however a let down, my stand bag fits at an angle and I can't even get my staff bag in at all.

Stereo features on the steering wheel is a added plus to this car. AM stations don't work though. Orange back lights on dash aid in night driving. Suspension and handling, especially in tight corers is outstanding. Great gas mileage!

Should have gotten a stick to have some serious fun! Bigger trunk space. ZOOM ZOOM is for real!

Great value
By duane

2004 Mazda 3 Sedan i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had to return to the dealer twice for the same problem with the front end. Dealer was great.

Love the way the radio is integrated into steering wheel and it telescopes! Something you don't usually find on a car this inexpensive.

More torque definitely.

great Mazda 3!
By M3 hatchback

2004 Mazda 3 Sedan i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Mazda 3 has been my favorite car I have ever owned. It is sporty, practical, and great fun to drive. I have had many luxury sedans, and two other small midsize cars. I like my Mazda 3 best. I have the hatchback body style.

I like the gear shift and pickup.

Can't think of a thing.

Not as girlie girl as I'd like.....
By zoomzoomhappy

2004 Mazda 3 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Mazda3. The only thing(s) I don't like is the visors are really "cheap." They have no light either for night time touch-ups. We chose the leather interior because it is SO much more comfortable than their cloth option. I have to say that the only problem I've had is recently I couldn't open my driver's side door. My husband was able to fix it easily without having to bring it in, but other than that it's the best buy/best car I've ever owned. The only reason I need to upgrade is we are going to have another kid. Back seat is not big enough for 2 car seats. We are so happy with Mazda that we might go with the new CX-7. I always get Q's, and highly recommend!

Lots of leg room. Love having CD/radio controls on steering wheel and telescoping steering wheel.

Better, upgraded visors. Would like trunk button on remote.