Used 2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 249 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback

s 2.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (249 reviews )

Another happy M3-5 door lover
By mazdamad

2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

6 months -12,000 miles - no complaints as the 2nd owner. Purchased new and aggressive (Michelin) tread tires which improved the car's character considerably. It was great in snow and ice this past winter with the new tires. Garaged or out overnight, always starts right up and goes. Space for salesman stuff or space for family stuff depending on the need. Happy with the purchase and would do it again.

Accessibility from the side or rear and space with the fold down seats. Love the 5 speed which is the only way to go. Great dash/6 cd changer. Xenon headlights/halogen fog lights combination are great for night driving. For safety bought vehicle with abs (brakes are great) and front/side air bags.

The plastic grill and paint both seem to chip easier than they should - kind of disappointing. Rear tailgate remote from the drivers seat would be nice. MPG ranges from about 23 town to about 29 highway - less than I hoped for but we do tend to drive fast and hard.

26k miles and I still love my car
By maddie

2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I drive this little sporty car fairly hard and fast, and it has kept up for 26k miles so far. NO major issues at all and I don't expect them anytime soon either. This economy car is fun to drive, is very responsive, handles well and looks good while doing so! A zippy little car with a good amount of power and torque. Sure, it's not a race car but what do you expect for less than $20K? The engine provides adequate power for the price, and if you want more, wait for the Mazdaspeed edition to come out! The suspension is solid and "sport" and allows for great cornering & handling; if you can't handle a 'stiffer' suspension, go with a Ford or something 'softer', like a large Cadillac, lol!

The 17" wheels made even better with Avon tires (just get rid of the stock Goodyears unless you drive very slow), 'sporty' suspension allows for great handling and makes for a fun ride, paint color options, beautiful interior with leather, hatchback - allows me to fit all sorts of things in the trunk!

Better designed A/C (though there is now a dealer fix for this and newer models probably don't have this issue anymore). More comfortable seats or sportier seat options. Better ergonomic adjustment details. Better quality/more durable paint. Better stock tires.

Great car, when everything works...
By perrito

2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I am overall quite pleased with my 2004 Mazda3 5 door with automatic. I would agree with others that the manual may be a safer choice; my automatic just died with only 13,000 miles on it - very unusual. And it stranded us between Colorado Springs and Denver. It handles nicely, is quiet (with replacement tires), and has a great, functional interior. I love the steering wheel controls; use them all the time. It's a fun car, but this automatic problem, and an early ignition fault, make me doubt the long-term reliability of the Mazda3.

Steering wheel controls for audio, cruise. Nice auto-manual feature, useful for hills. Decent stereo and power for the size of the car. Seats are comfortable, but tip forward when raised.

Most improvements I can think of have been made with 2005-06 changes: Sirius satellite, heated seats. Hopefully reliability has improved as well.

After 17,900 Miles ...
By Virgin1

2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I still love this car. Yes, it has a few flaws but at less than $20K it's a deal. As stated before me the car/tires leaves something to be desired in rain and even more so in snow and ice. Yokohamas may have been a better choice than the Goodyears. Get the ABS package! It's a lil' pricey but includes side and curtain air bags. Also, get the 6-CD changer even if you don't think you want it (as I did). I plan to install a 22mm rear anti-sway bar to reduce understeer. In spite of what others have said here, I have raced cars and any factory front driver understeers too much. I think 25-32 MPG is excellent for a car like this one ... any car really, and on regular 87 octane fuel too.

Still LOVE the 17's though they are hard to clean.

1. A/C is weak by today's standards. 2. Rear brake dust. Bring on the aftermarket pads ... PLEASE! 3. Better chosen factory tires. 4. Heavier duty rear suspension/springs 5. Factory fog lights are useless and non-adjustable.

Best compact around hands down
By Leo

2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

There is no competition for this car in the compact market. We are a two Mazda family and I enjoy driving this car as much as I enjoy driving our RX8. The handling is absolutely superb, the brakes are fantastic and the engine is very peppy for a 4 cylinder. We got a fairly loaded example (leather, auto, moonroof, 6 CD) and love it to death. Just did our first long haul, San Jose to LA, to Vegas, to San Jose and enjoyed it very much. The car is very comfortable and smooth, great long distance cruiser. Best part was we were moving at a good pace and still averaged 26 mpg for the trip.

The options to have this car loaded with NAV, leather, tire pressure monitoring, HID etc. The handling of the 5 door is superb. The exterior is very nice, and the interior design is excellent. The gauges are very cool as well. Tiptronic auto works great and is *almost* as good as having a 5 speed.

Add another gear or two to the auto tranny to give even better fuel economy. Auto up/down windows would be great.