Used 2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda 3 - Consumer Reviews

2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback

s 2.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (246 reviews )

After 17,900 Miles ...
By Virgin1

2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I still love this car. Yes, it has a few flaws but at less than $20K it's a deal. As stated before me the car/tires leaves something to be desired in rain and even more so in snow and ice. Yokohamas may have been a better choice than the Goodyears. Get the ABS package! It's a lil' pricey but includes side and curtain air bags. Also, get the 6-CD changer even if you don't think you want it (as I did). I plan to install a 22mm rear anti-sway bar to reduce understeer. In spite of what others have said here, I have raced cars and any factory front driver understeers too much. I think 25-32 MPG is excellent for a car like this one ... any car really, and on regular 87 octane fuel too.

Favorite Features

Still LOVE the 17's though they are hard to clean.

Suggested Improvements

1. A/C is weak by today's standards. 2. Rear brake dust. Bring on the aftermarket pads ... PLEASE! 3. Better chosen factory tires. 4. Heavier duty rear suspension/springs 5. Factory fog lights are useless and non-adjustable.

Best compact around hands down
By Leo

2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

There is no competition for this car in the compact market. We are a two Mazda family and I enjoy driving this car as much as I enjoy driving our RX8. The handling is absolutely superb, the brakes are fantastic and the engine is very peppy for a 4 cylinder. We got a fairly loaded example (leather, auto, moonroof, 6 CD) and love it to death. Just did our first long haul, San Jose to LA, to Vegas, to San Jose and enjoyed it very much. The car is very comfortable and smooth, great long distance cruiser. Best part was we were moving at a good pace and still averaged 26 mpg for the trip.

Favorite Features

The options to have this car loaded with NAV, leather, tire pressure monitoring, HID etc. The handling of the 5 door is superb. The exterior is very nice, and the interior design is excellent. The gauges are very cool as well. Tiptronic auto works great and is *almost* as good as having a 5 speed.

Suggested Improvements

Add another gear or two to the auto tranny to give even better fuel economy. Auto up/down windows would be great.

Fun! Fun! Fun!
By KimH

2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought Mazda3 S hatchback! Smooth ride, punchy engine, (who needs a 6 cylinder), saved a lot of money. Soft leather. Handles very well. Quiet engine. I love driving my car, and being able to get all friends in. So far, so good!

Favorite Features

There's like 6 cup holders, controls on steering wheel, very roomy (for a small hatchback), great visibility.

Suggested Improvements

Front grill (made of plastic), I cracked it hitting some snow. I don't like all the plastic, not durable enough. I love the car so I can live with it.

Mazda 3s - 5-door hatch
By S. Savage

2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Great looking and driving car. 2.3 I-4 with variable valve timing is very versatile -- rev to 6000+ RPM on a beltway on-ramp or cruise in 5th gear at low speeds on level terrain. EPA estimate is 32 mpg highway. I have only achieved that rating once or twice (long distances at speeds under 60 mph). Rpm kills mpg. It needs a 6th gear. In 5th, it revs 3000 rpm at 70 mph and fuel mileage suffers (avg 28-29 mpg hwy). Otherwise, it is great fun to drive. It goes where you point it. 4-wheel disc brakes are outstanding. Oil is a pain to change, with an aero pan that needs to be removed for filter access and filters available only from Mazda. 17" 50 series Goodyear RS-As are NOT snow tires.

Favorite Features

Handling, brakes, steering. This car is the closest thing to a go kart I have driven in a long time. Yet, it is reasonably comfortable on trips. Seats with adjustable lumbar supports are very comfortable. 5-door hatchback looks great, especially in Velocity Red.

Suggested Improvements

Give this car a 6th gear, a deeper overdrive. It has enough torque to pull on hills at highway speeds but it could be a real econocar with a 6-speed transmission. A/C, with black interior, is not real effective in very hot weather. Exhaust note could be improved - just a little more attitude.

An Alfa for the US without the Heartache
By Molson

2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

1st, now have a company car, so the M3 is asleep during the week. It's so much fun that I decided to keep until end of lease (unless someone wants to buy). Super fine suspension tune (firm, not harsh, well dampened, great balance). Awesome feature content (tilt/tele S/W with audio controls just the beginning). Head-turning looks (doesn't look like an econocar at all, even though it's priced like one). Zippy 4-cylinder, though could use a bit more top-end. Still, more than just a grocery getter. Negatives: 2 recalls for airbag sensor, dealer dent in roof (dropped tool, apparently). Needs advanced traction controls(TCS, at least, if not ESP). Tires are junk (why Goodyear still has good rep is beyond me.

Favorite Features

Style, solid build, handling/ride, interior room (seats fit me at 6'4"/235), feature content, shifter CAN'T be cable-actuated (can it be?), fun-loving car that doesn't require any special treatment. Totally guilt-less and regret-free. This is what a SAAB 99 would be in 2005.

Suggested Improvements

1st, those parking lot dings are driving me nuts. 2nd, though interior is nice, 2005 Spectra5 (company car) has better materials (though color coordination leaves a lot to be desired). 3rd, TCS & ESP (and BETTER TIRES) would help in wet. Halfshafts seem kinda fragile; 1 set under warranty.