2004 Mazda Mazda3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
All in one package with sensible fun!
By Renee on 03/23/06 10:12 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's a great drive, sometimes a little to much fun. Very fast -- the Zoom Zoom is so true! The mileage is good; it gets 300 or so miles to the tank. With the price of gas it could be better. I drive mostly highway on a daily basis and was hit from behind by a car going about 65 miles an hour. All I could think of was my cars condition. When I got out and looked I was in shock to see almost no evidence that I was even hit. The other cars air bags were all deployed but none of mine were. This is a strong built vehicle . i got back in and drove away like nothing even happened. The only problem with this car is the air conditioner, defroster and heat. None of them seem to get going in a timely matter.

Zoom Zoom Dude!
By Mechanix2001 on 03/11/06 18:13 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was looking for an economical car with some kick. I was not interested in driving a Civic or Corolla. There reliable cars but so unoriginal; I like something different. My friend and cousin both have one and they rave about it constantly, so I had the chance to get a good test drive, and I agreed with them. From driving an old pick-up the gas mileage was a great difference. The best thing I noticed about it is the handling, I mean if you like driving, like I do, you'll enjoy whipping around the back roads with ease. The interior is very sporty and the seats grip you like a racing style seat. Anyways, GO have a test drive, for the money you won't be disappointed!

I like, I'm impressed, but not satisfied
By Black Mazda 3 in IL on 03/10/06 18:41 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car new in 12/04. I agree that the car looks nice and is fun to drive. At 34K the transmission was replaced. Now at 36K the car wouldn't start! It has happened twice and the dealer(s) cannot find the problem (roadside assistance will only tow to the nearest Mazda dealer and will not tow back to the dealer where purchased even if its 12 miles farther). I love the car, but I can't zoom if it won't start.

2 year review
By Mark Skinner on 03/07/06 15:11 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

have owned for 2 years now - no unscheduled trips to dealer. Great reliability, very comfortable, the 4 doors and hatchback are very useful. Only wishes - about 40 more horsepower, a better stereo, and a 5 speed auto.

BUY THIS CAR!
By Uptown on 03/05/06 22:25 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I was in search of a car to replace my trusty Volvo for the past year. Hands down, this Mazda3 S 5-speed blows away the competition. I waited for the 2006 Civic remodel (horrible dash design) until I made my purchase. I found a 2004 S model for $12,000 and plan in driving it for 5-6 years selling it for $5-6K. That's about as inexpensive cost of ownership you can find for driving such a refined car. This car is designed like a Swiss Army Knife ... it's really a great value and in most cases worth full sticker. Test drove a Corolla S, 06 Civic, used 325i, Jetta, WRX, and Accord. Go out and test drive one, and you'll buy it.

Another happy M3-5 door lover
By mazdamad on 03/04/06 09:43 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

6 months -12,000 miles - no complaints as the 2nd owner. Purchased new and aggressive (Michelin) tread tires which improved the car's character considerably. It was great in snow and ice this past winter with the new tires. Garaged or out overnight, always starts right up and goes. Space for salesman stuff or space for family stuff depending on the need. Happy with the purchase and would do it again.

Classy Compact
By Antone on 02/27/06 18:11 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Runs great, excellent gas mileage, fun to drive, slight road noise, but nothing out of the ordinary for a compact car.

26k miles and I still love my car
By maddie on 02/27/06 14:46 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I drive this little sporty car fairly hard and fast, and it has kept up for 26k miles so far. NO major issues at all and I don't expect them anytime soon either. This economy car is fun to drive, is very responsive, handles well and looks good while doing so! A zippy little car with a good amount of power and torque. Sure, it's not a race car but what do you expect for less than $20K? The engine provides adequate power for the price, and if you want more, wait for the Mazdaspeed edition to come out! The suspension is solid and "sport" and allows for great cornering & handling; if you can't handle a 'stiffer' suspension, go with a Ford or something 'softer', like a large Cadillac, lol!

Awesome so far...
By dechy on 02/03/06 12:22 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Mazda3 for about a year and a half and have not had any problems as at all. The ride and handling are awesome. I test drove the Civic, Corolla, Ion and Focus and hands down, the Mazda 3 was an easy winner.

This car amazes me!
By Gina on 01/23/06 09:19 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Having owned Mazda's for years, I would not have dreamed of buying anything else. Had a 626 for 16 years and just purchased a 2004 one owner 3s in Strato Blue. I love this car! It is much more fun to drive than anything I've owned previously. It hugs corners and glides over bumps and for a 4 cylinder 2.3 engine it really has some power. The seats are beyond comfortable and with the sports and power package it turns heads everywhere I go. Although I have not yet needed an oil change (only had the car 3 weeks now), I am concerned with the thread I just read about poor design in the cartridge oil filter. Waiting to see if anyone else has similar problems with that.