2004 Mazda Mazda3 i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:

Sort Reviews by

ANOTHER SUCCESS STORY FROM MAZDA
By Jim Vesta

2004 Mazda Mazda3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The 2.3 liter engine gives this lightweight car a lot of Zoom Zoom. That said, you still feel like there is more real metal than plastic like in a lot of cars.

Favorite Features

I love the dashboard. It is almost all electronic, and turns on when you turn on the car. Excellent handling and braking, and fast acceleration. Huge trunk and interior room for a car this size.

Suggested Improvements

Make the stereo so that you can replace it with an aftermarket head unit. This looks like it would be impossible, or at the very least highly difficult to do.

Poor Man's Luxury Sedan
By SoCal23Female

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Hot little vehicle with a decent price tag.

Favorite Features

The exterior view from behind is beautiful. The cloth woven interior is hot.

best car out there
By Sandro00

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

very Sporty, great looks and and awsome price

Favorite Features

interior looks...better than Jetta and Audi

Suggested Improvements

the interior quality power

Love this car
By jrnyace

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

this vehicle was supposed to be for my wife that is 9 months pregnant. We chose the mazda "s" for the four-door capabilities. I'm having more fun driving this car than my Dodge Hemi!

Favorite Features

spunky 4 cylinder, attractive gauge layout and sporty exterior styling

Suggested Improvements

I dont like the seat belt alert that constantly chimes , and the dome light switches look cheap. For the money this ones a winner!

It's great!
By nne3jxc

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The Mazda3's handling is tight without giving a punishing ride. The interior was nicely appointed and well laid out. Sure -- it doesn't have some of the fancy doo-dads that the luxury cars have, but I can turn on my headlights just fine all by myself, thank you. It's a comfortable little car that feels bigger than it is and has some nice bigger car features. (Many "stolen" from the upmarket Mazda6.) It's sensible without losing any of it's zippy fun factor.

Favorite Features

- Very powerful engine for this class. - Good looking styling appears more European than Japanese. - Well thought out interior design. - HUGE glove box

Suggested Improvements

- Instrument gauge needles should be contrasting color when lit. - Emergency brake handle is too close to passenger seat. - It's too easy to knock the Automatic transmission lever in or out of the manual shift mode during cornering.

Compact....??? I say it's a sport.
By Guto

2004 Mazda Mazda3 i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I’ve spent about 3 months looking for a compact. What I found? Good cars, reasonable prices, and a total lack of attention to the small segment of cars. Mazda certainly created another concept for compact cars. I bought an M 3i sedan with power package, ac, sport/auto transmission and it is worthy everything single penny I spent. It is incredible to drive; it has an amazing design (exterior and interior), and an engine that needs no comments. The car is unquestionably the best in its segment

Favorite Features

A distinctive interior design that is both comfortable and functional. A 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine rated to produce 148 horsepower.

Suggested Improvements

Provide a longer warranty to improve car reliability.

Just what I've been waiting for!
By D2

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This car fits the bill for me! It is a perfect combination of price, performance, looks, and economy. I have always liked Mazda but until now couldn't get the right mix of features and options to satisfy. I have only had the car for a couple of weeks but I can tell you right now, it;s a keeper!

Favorite Features

I love the way this car handles! Very comfortable with all the bells and whistles (only thing I didn't get was leather seats - I prefer the cloth anyway)

Suggested Improvements

None

I like many things about this car
By James Forte

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Coming out of a 98 Passat, I wanted more basic ride for my daily driver. The MAZDA3 is good, but certainly not comparable in attention to detail (but it's $7K less!). I am happy with the fuel economy and design, although materials could be better. Mazda should be proud and has a car that competes with the base Jetta and Corolla. The real problem with this car is its brand. Nothing symbolizes second rate more than Mazda with its childish campaigns (please stop!). The goofy kid/song argh! Fortunately for Mazda, the product exceeds its poor brand image. For me, I have to fend off all of my buddies who tease me about Zoom Zoom (its better than Suzuki!).

Favorite Features

Steering wheel and DVD navigation on a subcompact. They have given me the opportunity to get luxury amenities thanks to its connection with the Volvo 40 series.

Suggested Improvements

More power please. This would be a great car with a real sports package and a WRX level engine. I would pay $5K more to complete the vehicle. Maybe I'll have to.... but through the aftermarket.

Mazda 3 S, the way to go!!!!
By casey23

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I actually just bought it off showroom floor 1 week ago, and love it. It's basically a mazda under a Lexus IS300's skin. IT's got everything and everything you can think off... of course, within reason. Very sporty, it looks excellent.

Favorite Features

Very well done interior and exterior, especially the features you can choose for it.

Suggested Improvements

Should of been an option to have home link on it.

rocket ship
By hotptato

2004 Mazda Mazda3 s 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

test drove the sedan 2.3L 5spd. wow what a rush,great take off speed,0-60 in a blink of an eye,handled turns outstanding,its like buying a BMW but alot cheaper, cant wait to buy one with in a month

Favorite Features

the way it drove, the speed,comfort,very roomy

Suggested Improvements

make the abs pkg standard,lets make saftey #1